PDA

View Full Version : Demo Problems

DrGonzo
05-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Tried to install the MOW Demo under Steam, it's not working very well... All that happens when I try to execute the game is a process called "mow demo.exe" starts and eats 50% of my CPU... no applications to close, just a process.

I've been impressed by what others had to say about this game, but I have to admit: a non-working demo is a huge turn off-- especially with the draconian software return policies state-side.

I've tried removing and reinstalling, even after cleaning out the registry and downloaded files. I've tried running the game in compatibilty mode, I've tried running the game as an administrator... same result from all attempts. The demo still will not start. Any suggestions?

Semi-Relevant Information:
O/S: Windows XP x64 Profession Ed.
CPU: E6600 [Core2Duo @ 2.4ghz]
GPU: G92-400A2 [8800GTS]
MEM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 [DDR2]
SND: X-Fi Platinum!

Thanks in advance,
Gonzo

Nike-it
05-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Try to download it from official site: http://www.menofwargame.com/demo.phtml

DrGonzo
05-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Tried installing demo from official site, same problem.

Quick question though:
When the game installs itself does it create the 'MyGames/MOW' folder upon installation or first execution?

Edit:
Ah, hell with it, for $11.99 Ill just buy the sucker. It'll work on one computer or another.

Further Edit:
Okay, reopen my grievance with the retail version. Patched to 1.11.3.0

Resolved:
My computers are on a domain, with pathed directories. For XYZ reason, this game does not want to function on a computer that is on a domain with pathed directories. Im not a programmer, but I would guess it's related to the My Documents/My Games location of all the MOW profiles, settings, etc. which should _really_ be located in Application Data directory. The game runs to spec when logged on to the local machine. That's good enough for now, but you might [if you can] forward this tidbit of info along to relevant developers.

Further Resolved:
Logging on locally, and copying the mygames/mow directory to the pathed domain shares solves this problem. I guess it just didn't want to create the directories on [\\server\share\path] and without the profiles the game didn't know what to do. Totally fix'd.

Thanks!
Gonzo