PDA

View Full Version : A newbie's questions on combat

Oliver_Reed
05-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new to the King's Bounty game - in fact pretty new to the RPG genre. So I have a few questions regarding the combat system.

So far, all I've done is played the tutorial section doing the quests for Iron Richard and have found the combat - well, - not totally within my control.

I'm afraid the manual hasn't been any help and I can't seem to find any tutorials on the internet - hence this post.

What I know about the combat so far is:
- My character isn't in the arena, that's my army!
- I can cast spells to help my army in various ways - e.g. fireball
- I can move each unit in my army a limited number of steps per turn.
- I can order my unit to attack an enemy
- The units seem to be available to move in some sort of rotation, when their base turns to a golden symbol

What I'd like to know is:
- How can I tell a unit which weapon to attack with? (if that's possible)
- If I don't want to move a unit, how do I select the next unit instead?
- Do I have to move a unit to it's maximum range? Or can I move it just a few steps within its range and then select the next unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ollie.

phalzyr
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
- How can I tell a unit which weapon to attack with? (if that's possible)
You primarily don't they only have one weapon basically. They do have special abilities like preist has heal and such. When it is there turn look in lower right of screen. There will be icons for each special ability the unit has. click it then target to perform it.

- If I don't want to move a unit, how do I select the next unit instead?
You can either tell it to guard, or wait. (Also in bottom right of screen, hour glass is wait and shield is guard or possibly defend not sure term)
Wait will make the unit perform it's turn after everyone else.
Guard will give them extra defense if they are attacked.

- Do I have to move a unit to it's maximum range? Or can I move it just a few steps within its range and then select the next unit.
Yes, you can move one step and then either wait or guard and it'll go to next unit. You do not get to select who is next. This is determined by the units initiative compared to everyone else. You can hold down alt or shift and left click to get this info of what the turn order is...

Suggestions.... Hmmm so far, just be careful if not playing on easy. You can right click a stack and see is stretngth comparison to yours ranging form very weak to impossible. Even in beginning area a couple are impossible at first. Note this is just a guide line also, some creatures are just easier to take on. You'll learn that though, just stick with anything below match at first.

The dragon in tutorial is a tough fight, must creatures won't last as long after the tutorial until you get to harder areas. Though your army will be weaker also ;)

Edit: I think there is also a nice FAQ in this dorum for first time players, read it :D ("Top 10 tips for everybody starting the game! (non-spoiler)" sticky in tips and hint ummm http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=3957)

chap
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi folks

Hi there

I'm new to the King's Bounty game - in fact pretty new to the RPG genre.

IMHO this is not a typical RPG. More like a hybrid RPG.

- I can cast spells to help my army in various ways - e.g. fireball

One spell per round, unless you're a mage and have the Higher Magic skill. You can also cast spells from scrolls (which disappear after casting).

If you move a unit to it's maximum range, it's turn ends, so it won't be able to attack, use a special ability, or defend. If you move it just a few steps within its range (or if you don't move it at all), you can attack, use a special ability, defend or wait.

Oliver_Reed
05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks folks,

I think thats just what I need to get me started.

Ollie.