PDA

View Full Version : Question about PhysX problem

Cathmelar
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
So, since I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about this game I decided to test the demo before I bought the game.

But now it turns out I can't run the game, because whenever I click the "New Game" button, the came crashes to desktop. The termination message explains it like this:

Could not initialize PhysX. Please install PhysX driver.

Script Stack Call:

->menu_newgame
processmainmenu
render_control_elements

Since I have an ATI Radeon (HD 4850) I realize this game probably won't look its best even if I get it running, but I'd still like to try it and see for myself. Is it because of the ATI card that I can't run the game? All drivers are up-to-date, so do I have to do anything else to make it work? I'd appreciate some advice! :)

Nike-it
05-13-2009, 06:17 AM
So, since I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about this game I decided to test the demo before I bought the game.

But now it turns out I can't run the game, because whenever I click the "New Game" button, the came crashes to desktop. The termination message explains it like this:

Since I have an ATI Radeon (HD 4850) I realize this game probably won't look its best even if I get it running, but I'd still like to try it and see for myself. Is it because of the ATI card that I can't run the game? All drivers are up-to-date, so do I have to do anything else to make it work? I'd appreciate some advice! :)

Try to install latest
PhysX driver and in the video settings set shaders to 3.0 (default is 4.0) and disable advanced PhysX. That should help. On my Ati HD2600 the game and demo runs ok, but pretty slow.

Cathmelar
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Try to install latest
PhysX driver and in the video settings set shaders to 3.0 (default is 4.0) and disable advanced PhysX. That should help. On my Ati HD2600 the game and demo runs ok, but pretty slow.

Thanks for the tip, but how/where can I find a PhysX driver for an ATI card?

Everywhere I try to search for it I either get the answer that there was some sort of demo version of PhysX for ATI last fall which has since been revoked, or that there will never be a PhysX driver for ATI.

I'm not too used to tamper with drivers and such things so I might sound stupid, (which I'm not) but I can't wrap my mind around this. So some detailed instructions, maybe? :)

Nike-it
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the tip, but how/where can I find a PhysX driver for an ATI card?

Everywhere I try to search for it I either get the answer that there was some sort of demo version of PhysX for ATI last fall which has since been revoked, or that there will never be a PhysX driver for ATI.

I'm not too used to tamper with drivers and such things so I might sound stupid, (which I'm not) but I can't wrap my mind around this. So some detailed instructions, maybe? :)

You can download the driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html
This driver can be used with ATI cards.

Cathmelar
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks a lot for your help! I'll be sure to try it! :)

CheapAssGamer
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
You can download the driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html
This driver can be used with ATI cards.

What does that mean? Does it mean that physx has been ported to openCL and now works with ATi cards (I suspect not). Or does it simply mean this patch allows for physx to be done in software.

Nike-it
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM
What does that mean? Does it mean that physx has been ported to openCL and now works with ATi cards (I suspect not). Or does it simply mean this patch allows for physx to be done in software.

You are right, in this case PhysX effects are accelerated in software mode.

Cathmelar
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it worked! Thanks a lot, Nike-it! :grin: