PDA

View Full Version : Horrible performance with overkill PC

primithras
05-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I bought Cryostasis yesterday but I think something is wrong with my copy. I have an overkill game pc that can flawlessly run Crysis and other recent games on high but for some reason I can't juice more then 10 FPS out of Cryostasis?
I'm running the game on 1920*1080 with every setting on high, lowering the settings doesn't help either. Anybody got any ideas, maybe a wrong setting enabled or a damaged copy?

Specs:
*Windows XP SP3
*Phenom II X4 940 @ OC 3,4Ghzx4
*Sapphire HD4870x2
*8GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM
*Foxconn A7DA-S

Covak
05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
When you say "lowering the settings" are you including dropping the resolution way down?

ZIGS
05-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Try disabling shadows and motion blur. Or wait for the patch that'll fix the ATI-related problems (low performance)

Unforgiven_II
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Cryostasis does not benefit from multiple cpu-cores.
Cryostasis scales not good with crossfire or sli.
Cryostasis does not perform well with ati-cards.

FreonTrip
05-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Cryostasis doesn't benefit from multiple CPU cores, but it does benefit from PhysX acceleration, be it from discrete PhysX cards or GeForce cards running PhysX code. It may also be possible to use some hacked-up drivers or wrappers to get it up and running on DirectX 10 ATI cards. A patch is forthcoming for ATI cards, but in the mean time: if you're running an SLI system, it may be in your best interests to disable SLI and use PhysX acceleration. That should make it possible to let one graphics board render the graphics while the other handles in-game physics, and it could make up to a 33-50% improvement in overall speed. :)

BloodBath
05-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Hello everyone,

I bought Cryostasis yesterday but I think something is wrong with my copy. I have an overkill game pc that can flawlessly run Crysis and other recent games on high but for some reason I can't juice more then 10 FPS out of Cryostasis?
I'm running the game on 1920*1080 with every setting on high, lowering the settings doesn't help either. Anybody got any ideas, maybe a wrong setting enabled or a damaged copy?

Specs:
*Windows XP SP3
*Sapphire HD4870x2
*8GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM
*Foxconn A7DA-S

I must agree 100%. It's sad too because this game had so much potential.

I have huge issues with mouse control @ 800x600 (my usual game reolution is 1024x768). It is laggy, choppy and was so unsmooth (yes new word I know) I knew it wasn't my PC since I can play any major game out today without the issues I have with this game.

It was SO bad in the beginning I was forced to look at the options menu to see if there were sections that would mitigate my issue. Naturally I went to the video options first and noticed something that surprised me;

- all options were either LOW or OFF except for the following:

- Hardware Physics was ON
- Shader Model Set to 2.0 (even though I have a DX10 card with Shader 4.0 backwards compatibility)
- Dynamic Shadows were set to MEDIUM

WTF? Even in Crysis or other demanding games my settings are by default higher than this. I was looking for ways to increase performance and found that almost all graphics performance settings were ALREADY almost non-existent.

With limited options I started with item 1. on the list.

When I installed the game I noticed something unusual in that after the game installed it installed something non-game related (to me) - nVidia Physics. I thought this was strange but didn't think it would affect the game. I was SO wrong.

Once I turned Hardware Physics OFF mouse control improved dramatically. So much so that I was able to turn on Ansiotropic filtering. As I suspected, turning off this feature DID NOTHING in terms of visual enjoyment/gameplay. All I noticed was that a bunch of moveable cans and waving hanging items disappeared (nothing required for gameplay).

If that was the end of the story I wouldn't be writing here now (well maybe I would if not to tell people to turn OFF Hardware Physics, you're not missing anything except better performance).

I'm a gamer. When I play, I play for hours at a time. Even though turning Physics OFF helped me greatly with my problem, it only lasts so long unfortunately.

When I start the game everything is great. It would appear however, that the longer I play the worse my mouse control gets. Slowly but surely my control worsens after each graphics intense section. It's like every new scene takes on the baggage of the previous scene. A cumulative effect that you can do nothing about, rendering the gameplay experience to sheer frustration.

In short, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone until a patch is available that addresses the performance issues since I'm convinced they're game related and not hardware or driver related.

I base this opinion on my hardware primarily. I have an average machine (see below) and feel my gameplay experience is probably tipical of many users out there. To you I'd like to say - it's not you it's the game. You, like me, have a PC setup that Cryostasis just doesn't like.

Too bad too. This game has potential.

BloodBath:
Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit)
Stock AMD X2 5600 (dual core @2.8 Ghz) CPU
Stock 2GB Dual Channel Crucial DDR2 800 RAM
MSI K9N4 Ultra Socket AM2 motherboard
Stock nVidia geForce 8600 GTS 256MB GPU

Unforgiven_II
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Cryostasis doesn't benefit from multiple CPU cores, but it does benefit from PhysX acceleration, be it from discrete PhysX cards or GeForce cards running PhysX code. It may also be possible to use some hacked-up drivers or wrappers to get it up and running on DirectX 10 ATI cards. A patch is forthcoming for ATI cards, but in the mean time: if you're running an SLI system, it may be in your best interests to disable SLI and use PhysX acceleration. That should make it possible to let one graphics board render the graphics while the other handles in-game physics, and it could make up to a 33-50% improvement in overall speed. :)

Look at this:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/cryostatis-gameplay-test,M-I-193914-13.png

There is one GTX260 and there are two GTX260 with one of them doing Physx dedicated. It is about 2 fps higher, so a card dedicated to physx brings nearly nothing.

rrohde
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I play Cryostasis at 800x600 and it looks and performs OK.. :)

CheapAssGamer
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Specs:
*Windows XP SP3
*Sapphire HD4870x2
*8GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM
*Foxconn A7DA-S

Is that winXP 64 or 32 bit?

primithras
05-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Hello again,

Sorry for the late response, I've been busy with my exams lately. Thanks for all the comments, to answer some questions:

1) Running a 64 bit Windows XP
2) Changing the resolution to 800*600 ups my FPS to about +-30 but it's ridiculous that I have to play at such low resolution/quality ( 800x600 on a 24" moniter, yay! )
3) Disabling shadows and motion blur does not give a boost to my FPS.
4) Disabling one of GPU's only gives about +3 FPS, almost not noticable.

In my opinion, if you make a game and release it in 2009 but can't fix the above problems, just quit your day job as a developer please for gods sake.

EvilInside
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the club!!!1

Anyway... i don't thing this board has anything to do with developers... its more like user-to-user only... and not user-to-developer or anything like that if you know what i mean.

Ascendant
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Indeed, it would appear that perhaps the developers (like for many games I've played) aren't listening to the players, or if they are, it doesn't show.

I normally run most games quite smoothly, on medium-high graphics (never bothered to try Crysis though). I got this yesterday, and it started alright. I even tried raising my settings to high at some point (and changing a few other things) and it seemed to work almost better, but with a nicer look. This morning, it was nearly un-playable, and now I'm suffering from the "head-bobbing" glitch, which is really frustrating, and I have no clue how it started, nor how I could ever fix it.

And I'm using an ATI Radeon X1650 series card, 2GB RAM.

And I don't know a whole lot about hardware, so I can't quite contribute to a solution, given that this really isn't my area.