PDA

View Full Version : Sound Stuttering, Popping, Cutting Out

JuggernautOfWar
05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I have always had a problem where if there are loud noises the sound starts to crackle, pop, and if it's loud enough, even cut out completely. It almsot sounds like a 5.1 issue because I get very loud pops of audio in my ear in all directions. I have a true 5.1 surround headset with latest software audio drivers. I have tried all possible in-game sound configurations. Each sound setting has a slightly different effect but all are similar in that they fail.

Any ideas? I asked tech support and they said they wouldn't help me because I have Windows 7. But the problem was in Windows Vista too!

I hope to see some replies, thank you.

Nike-it
05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I have always had a problem where if there are loud noises the sound starts to crackle, pop, and if it's loud enough, even cut out completely. It almsot sounds like a 5.1 issue because I get very loud pops of audio in my ear in all directions. I have a true 5.1 surround headset with latest software audio drivers. I have tried all possible in-game sound configurations. Each sound setting has a slightly different effect but all are similar in that they fail.

Any ideas? I asked tech support and they said they wouldn't help me because I have Windows 7. But the problem was in Windows Vista too!

I hope to see some replies, thank you.

As I know, my colleague from support sent you several advices. Did they help?

JuggernautOfWar
05-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey! Good to hear from somebody. Good to hear that you guys are also communicating.

Yes he sent me some very helpful replies. Sadly, nothing he said has helped me any.

Okay so I still have a problem here...

phm
05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Well I used to have this problem and it was VERY frustrating. Now I'm using the demo (I hope it works with the original game too). I'm using Windows Vista 64bit and a soublaster audigy 2 soundcard. What i tried was this:

I've right click the speaker button for the sound in the lower right corner of the windows screen and selected playback devices. Then I've selected speakers and clicked properties. And then in the advanced tab I used to have the default forma in 24bit 192Khz... I've changed it to 16bit 44.1Khz and it worked for me at least :D The shuttering is greatly reduced. Plus the game becaume a bit less luggy.

I hope this works for others too.

pepperammi
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
If you've got a Creative card/chipped device it could be the somewhat notorious sound pop n crackle issue specially on X-Fi cards. Something to do with the cards buffer being starved in some system configs by the pci bus (some get it with the newer pci-e port versions too apparently) when under heavy load, or something like that, which I suppose Cryostasis could be putting systems under since runs so poorly.
Creatives only 'fixes' for this at the moment is to try disabling 'crystallizer', going into speaker properties phm mentions and check the 'Disable Sound Blaster enhancements' under the 'Sound Blaster' tab Making sure all unnecessary background apps are terminated to reduce load, oor even try un-installing all the drivers and traces than try putting the card in a different card slot and reinstalling the drivers ect.

I get the occasional game that has issues Like Crysis but disabling Crystallizer seems to work. I'm too lazy to try another pci port with my x-fi extreme gamer fatal1ty pro card

JuggernautOfWar
05-15-2009, 04:15 AM
I have a Realtek ALC888. I turned down Sampling Rate of speakers as well as upgraded to brand new driver version and now it's fixed, awesome.