PDA

View Full Version : Shader Model 4.0 Not supported?

luciann22
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Okay, BS, I just downloaded the game right, I installed the new physX drivers, I have the newest video card drivers blah blah.

I start the game and it says "Shader model 4.0 is not supported by your system. The game will launch without advanced PhysX effects.

Normally I'd be like okay my video card is old or something stupid but yeah NO.

I have a Zotac 8800 GT AMP! and the card specifically says shader model 4.0

I have SLI but not at this moment because the fan died on my other 8800.

So whats the problem?

WhatsOneMore
05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Honestly you just said it all

SLI NOT SUPPORTED and thats what PhysX is all about

Dual Cards for PhysX Man

Sorry fix your other card or take it out of the system

and try again, But its doubtful that shader 4.0 will work on just one card,

PhysX probelly will over look it, just as it does my agp card in one machine and then my SINGLE pci card
in my other machine-

WhatsOneMore
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Here read this tread and it will give you a clue about sli and PhysX running with Cryostatis

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=7149

READ IT SLOWLY and absorb all it's worth

luciann22
05-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Well the card isn't even IN my machine, I know what and how to sli and how to have one card do one thing and the other you know.

I'm not your average joe completly. But I mean I just figured SHADER model 4.0 SHOULD still be enabled even with ONE card....

I still ran the game pretty decently on all high even with ONE card and shader 3.0 enabled in game settings..

My puzzle is why I cant use 4.0 when my card IS 4.0

phsyx Should just be going through either my CPU or my GPU working it harder...

How does physX have anything to do with SHADER model 4.0?? maybe thats where i'm still half stupid.

JuggernautOfWar
05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
You do not need SLI for PhysX. I have one 8800 GTS 640 overclocked and it runs PhysX in SM4 just fine.

luciann22
05-01-2009, 03:23 AM
I know this..><.. MY freaking question is why is it saying I dont have shader model 4.0!

WHEN MY CARD DOES!

JuggernautOfWar
05-01-2009, 03:34 AM
:mad: Sorry I misunderstood.

Anyway, go into your "config.cfg" and try setting it up in there for SM4. Also make sure you have the latest PhysX driver not included in the most recent graphics driver as of today. Also make sure you have the latest chipset and graphics drivers. Also make sure PhysX in enabled in your nVidia Control Panel.

EDIT: Man... that's a lot of edits...

Mkilbride
05-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I just downloaded the demo.

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB GDDR3.

This is bullshit. PhysX works in ALL my other games that use it.(with a noticable performance increase)

Why do you guys keep producing games that are really freaking great, but bog them down with shit like this? I mean man, you guys produce some really innovative games, but you just don't even bother to bugtest.

It's telling me I need to boot into Vista for PhysX? NO OTHER PHYSX GAME REQUIRES VISTA OR DX10. You're making a mistake, much like Microsoft made with Halo 2 PC(That was hacked around anyway...)

I hope in the NA retail version, you'll add proper support. I have a Vista boot luckily, but I don't like using it compared to XP. I think I'm going to uninstall the demo right now...and that's really a shame as it looked good, but if I can't enjoy one of it's main selling points...why bother?

Overall...you guys make the type of games that have small cult followings...reward you followers with proper support, please? Thanks.

JuggernautOfWar
05-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Oh... I seem to have forgotten something.

In this game PhysX is only supported in D3D10 (SM4) mode. You must turn on SM4 for PhysX to work in this game. As far as I can remember you cannot use SM4 in Windows XP, no matter the version. (Windows 7 for the WIN)

Mkilbride
05-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Right? But why do that? It effectively limits their customer base and has no benefit. DX10 could do amazing things...but given that this is just about enabling PhysX, DX10 should not be needed, so no need for the requirement.

It's lazy of them and quite a bad move. Why must they hamper their games with such stupid limitations? Give me a technical reasons why PhysX requires DX10 in this and no other PhysX game has, not even NVIDIA's official demos.

JuggernautOfWar
05-01-2009, 04:35 AM
I realize you're upset but CALM THE **** DOWN!

Anyway, they are not limiting their user base. You can play it fine on Windows 2000 if you want, well, probably not fine, but you get the picture. DX10 in this game is not at all about enabling PhysX, it does so much more.

luciann22
05-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Seriously? So Windows XP Doesn't even utilize shader model 4.0? EVEN if we bought the GOOD cards.... like hello I bought an 8800 cuz it was great for the price. and had all capabilities. So THATS why its saying It dont support 4.0???

I'm not getting vista. &^$&*#^$&*#^$^#$^@%!%*#&%*# imagine what I would say within that, about vista.......

I will try that config thing in min now..but still..

AND by the way, windows XP IS comming out with dx10, they are working on it. Even a head of microsoft mentioned it. as well as private projects.

Edit**... windows 2000? PTSH.

I like xp. so does everybody else. lol

luciann22
05-01-2009, 04:49 AM
okay I just tried to set it in the config. No go.

It's probably that stupid XP bs. I never knew XP coudn't use 4.0

thats the dumbest thing ever.

I have the latest EVERYTHING including chipset.

I'm smart in most of this stuff but I guess I lost out on phew things still.

JuggernautOfWar
05-01-2009, 04:50 AM
I'm not getting vista. &^$&*#^$&*#^$^#$^@%!%*#&%*# imagine what I would say within that, about vista.......

I like xp. so does everybody else. lol

It pays to do research before buying products. Windows XP does not support DirectX10 or DirectX10.1 or DirectX11 or Shader Model 4. I use Windows 7 x64. It is free right now, while it's in beta stage. I'd strongly suggest using that. Little to no bugs.

Not everybody likes XP, that is an overstatement. I try not to include false information in my posts, you should too.

Windows XP has severely lacking networking and graphics capability compared to Windows 7. Windows 7 also supports DirectX 11 which will be able to be used by existing DX10 graphics cards with a new driver.

Even if third parties are working on getting SM4 emulated into XP (which they are), they still will not be able to fully integrate Direct3D 10 or 11 in XP without completely rewriting XP.

I do know what I am talking about too, not just blowing hot air out of my head. I have made two Linux operating systems before, I know how this works.

Mkilbride
05-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Nah, I know to research a product. This was just a demo I downloaded.

But PhysX requiring DX10 is utter and complete bullshit. No other game has ever required one for the other.

luciann22
05-01-2009, 07:10 AM
that was at me MKil.

And yeah same answer. I do a lot of research, and I DID know that windows XP doesn't do dx10. DUH, but I didnt know they didnt do SM4.0 I think that is completly stupid. And i realise NOT everybody likes XP, I'm just saying that in my own defense against Vista....>< BTW its not false if you were to do a poll..... roflcakes most people DO prefer XP.. or anything BUT vista...the only reason i even THOUGHT of going to vista was for dx.10...... yuk. Still.. why cant som1 official respond to this..>< So My question has been answered SM 4.0 IS NOT SUPPORTED BY XP!

...Epic Fail for xp..>< dissapointed..

I may try windows 7 but I hear bad things.

WhatsOneMore
05-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Because its the acceptible rate

Most games are really beta and they fool the public as in accepting them in to public domain

Your just a beta tester entill the game is right

GET IT now or later you are testin this GAME

Beta actually ends when the first patch is put out !!!

Get It Now or Later, your just a beta patch tester for a So Called Finished game

Mkilbride
05-01-2009, 08:58 AM
SM4.0 is DX10's shader. What I mean though is, there is absolutely NO REASON for PhysX and DX10 to be linked. NO REASON.

luciann22
05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
SM4. IS dx 10? See now that I didn't know. Ugh i'm so disappointed. I can sort of kind of see why DX10 and physX could be linked... But I dont think it is completely int his game Mkil.

I mean I still had PhysX even without SM4, It just wasn't as great or whatever probably.. I dont know what i'm talking about now haha.

Just really angry at XP for being stupid and not supporting great things. So how is windows 7. Truthfully?, I'M running 32 bit xp right now on a 64 bit processor, so it might do me some good to switch.

JuggernautOfWar
05-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Well if they wanted to make everyone happy they could have released PhysX for Shader Model 2 and 3 as well Then the performance would be SLOOOW with PhysX turned on, after all PhysX is designed for DX10, even though it works with DX9. Then people would complain about the even worse FPS in this game under DX9.

Do you guys understand now?

PS. Shader Model 4 is Direct3D 10s shader, so your above statement makes no sense at all.

luciann22
05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
What doesn't make sense. I never said anything all I did was say something with a question mark after it. Besides me running PhysX still apperently even without SM4. yeah I know it still runs duh and it does lag cuz its harsh on the GPU or whatever it decides to use. My main point is that It sucks that XP doesn't support SM4. Which in turn links to PhysX, which is also Direct 3d 10.. like you said.. whatever either way its all Xp's fault. And theres no way i'm switching to vista JUST for that...thats BS.

And I also asked how is windows 7. Thanks for totally ignoring that part and just wanting to be right instead. Get off your podium. Som1 needs to end this thread now that my question has been answered.

Mkilbride
05-03-2009, 07:14 AM
PhysX is not designed for DX10. Don't make up bullshit. PhysX was COMPLETELY SEPERATE ORIGINALLY. PhysX can be used with CUDA, which is ALSO SEPERATE FROM DX10. They are not inter-linked in anyway.

luciann22
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I hope you're not telling me this, all i did was repeat what the guy on the podium said. and try to make sense of it because honestly I don't understand.

Anyways stop replying stop arguing EVERYBODY

my question was ANSWERED.

Shader model 4.0 IS NOT SUPPORTED BY XP. which I am very disappointed now in xp..><

JuggernautOfWar
05-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I meant in this game PhysX and Direct3D10 are linked. In most other applications they are completely separate.

I would appreciate it if you would stop putting '!' marks after most things you say and capitalizing around half of your text, implying you are yelling at each other and me.

Thanks...

luciann22
05-04-2009, 02:54 AM
The only !, on this whole page is from you and well me now :P.

And Ps. I capitalize things as in highlighting the important stuff. Speak for yourself.

Thanks.. Stop replying now trying to get the last word and be right. It's really old.

This was my thread now i'm ending it.

Brent
05-04-2009, 03:49 AM
SM 2.0 is DX9 (xp and up)
SM 3.0 is DX9.0c (xp and up)
SM 4.0 is DX10 (vista and up)
SM 4.1 is DX10.1 (vista and up)
SM 5.0 is DX11 (vista and up, will ship with Win7, download for vista)

got it?

JuggernautOfWar
05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
SM 2.0 is DX9 (xp and up)
SM 3.0 is DX9.0c (xp and up)
SM 4.0 is DX10 (vista and up)
SM 4.1 is DX10.1 (vista and up)
SM 5.0 is DX11 (vista and up, will ship with Win7, download for vista)

got it?

Excellent job clearing it up for people.

Mkilbride
05-04-2009, 11:37 PM
And you're a spam whore. As am I, now.

JuggernautOfWar
05-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I am sorry you have a problem with me. May I ask why you dislike me?

Mkilbride
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Because you post useless and false information.

JuggernautOfWar
05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Because you post useless and false information.

This is where we disagree. No matter, I am done in this topic as I believe you are. I wish you luck in getting PhysX to work properly on your end.