PDA

View Full Version : How tu use a turncounter in triggeractions?

primus360
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
The only possibility i have found to use a turncounter is in a condition term (i.e.turns since mission start = x).
You cannot make an own variable turncounter, because there is no action involved with it.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Perhaps the forum moderator could forward this question to the developer?

It would be nice to have that, because you can make more complex missions with this knowledge.

coreyh2
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Can you explain what exactly you are trying to do? You might just be thinking about the problem in the wrong way.

primus360
04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
For example if you want a countdown in turns, which starts after a trigger (maybe entering a region or conquering a town) was executed.
You cannot handle this without having access to the game turncounter in direct way, because you do not know the turn the player will start the countdown.
Only having a condition with game turncounter is not enough to calculate for example three rounds time to fullfill a quest.
In my case i have buildt a 2 player non-coop near mirror map where each player has to conquer 4 hostile AI controled villages to be able to pass a gate.
If you pass the gate before your opponent, you should have advantages.
So there should spawn an additional unit for every turn for the faster player until the second player passes this gate too.
If you are faster, then you have to take more risk and so there should be a nice tactical balance.
This map really makes fun (playing against my wife - she is always the slow one :)), but i have to make it simple and just spawn a fixed amount of units,
because i cannot access the turncounter.

And hey my wife and i are both professional software developers, maybe we both are thinking in the wrong way.

coreyh2
04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
The Quick Mission Q3_New_King shows how to make tasks that go off every turn if you control a city. You have a set of triggers. One starts out activated and runs once you control a town and activates the second. The second one run once every turn that you control the town and reactivates itself. If you lose the town the first trigger is activated again by the failed task code in the second.

you'll need to make extra triggers that give more rewards if you finish faster. Two for each period of turns that you want to pay attention too. When the second player gets it done the first players tasks gets failed. It will be a list of possible tasks. Probably doesn't matter if they haven't been activated already but I haven't tested it.

It sounds doable as long as you plan out your triggers. It will be much more complex then New King or any of the campaign maps.

primus360
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks corey!
Reactivating triggers maybe a solution, if they are activated in the following turn.
Until now i assumed, that these will be reactivated in the current turn, so i did not try this.
i will tell you, if i have success or not.