PDA

View Full Version : Russian Penal Army Mission

Daktor
04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone have some tips on how to capture the first trench?

I've tried flanking approaches on the central Heavy MG with no luck due to all the soldiers in houses and the fact that I have hardly any ammunition.

I've also tried rushing the Heavy MG straight on... lots of blood went flying and none of it was the enemy's.

Tomalak
04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I advanced on the right flank, and positioned my soldiers behind a building there (on the right side, in a field), then stayed there occasionally shooting at Germans, until the main part of the penal battalion (AI soldiers) approached the main trench. When they came really close to the MG, I attacked across the road.

What you can do, is hide behind the building, wait until the MG is focused on AI soldiers in the center, then take direct control over one of your soldiers, crawl across the road, get near to the fence, and then open fire at the MG guy while he is turned towards the center. There is also a destroyed vehicle in the middle of the road, providing some cover.

EDIT: If you don't want to wait: there are a couple of enemy soldiers near the building on the right, one of them hidden in the bushes. Be sure to kill at least one of them. Then position your men behind the building, where they are safe. Search the dead German(s) and take his grenades. Crawl with one of your soldiers across the road, get into range and throw a grenade (remember to "cook" it a bit) on the MG killing the soldiers there. Then simply rush to the trenches. Be careful not to go too far to the right when approaching the field, as its mined.

Hamptonsux
04-27-2009, 04:58 AM
I went down the left flank. There are a couple of AT guns over there, and a couple of MGs, but if you sneak all the way to the far left, you can get a couple of riflemen to shoot the guys manning the AT gun on top of the hill. After that, it's just a matter of being patient, and using that AT gun to eliminate some of the MGs and other AT guns. Then you can use your light tank to clean up.

Daktor
04-27-2009, 05:23 AM
I ended up taking Tomalak's advice and tried the right flank, hiding behind the house and picking off the central MG. Worked very well. Then sneak in with one guy and throw grenades while laying prone in the trenches to force your way in.

Once you capture the first hill, the rest of the mission is not too bad.

Thanks!