PDA

View Full Version : Making maps size question

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok the only options I can see on map sizes are 200x200 up to 500x500.

Now many maps (esp MP) from MoW are quite large. Is there a way to determine what their actual size is?

I am trying to see if they made multiple 500x500 maps and linked them together (how I wonder?) or what...

Some maps are just insanely long and narrow but well exceed the 500 range...

I made 1 map at 500x500 and it just looks tiny compared to the avg MoW map...

Any mappers out there know? (Sorry I cannot visit DMS here from work or would go there and ask)

Tomalak
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Is it possible to enter the size manually, for example "600x600" or "1000x1000"?

Zeke Wolff
04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I am trying to see if they made multiple 500x500 maps and linked them together (how I wonder?) or what...

It is quite easy to make larger maps than the default 500x500. However I do suggest that when making your first map, that you go for one of the default sizes, since it takes some time to get used to work with the editor and also takes a lot of time to make a large map interesting. My own opinion regarding map size, is that I will much rather play on a smaller map with lots of details, than a large map with a lot of empty, uninteresting areas...

To make your map larger than 500x500 use the Polygon tool. The Left Mouse Button adds size to your map and the Right Mouse Button remove size from your map.

To make use of the extra "terrain" on your map, you need to move the border edges etc.

The above is an explanation on how you enlarge an already existing map. To create a new larger map than the default 500x500, just click in the line where the size is shown and enter, for example, 750x750 and the map will be larger. However, this has a few drawbacks; the editor might crash if you tries to create a too large map and a very large map with a lot of details on it, will be laggy in the game.

~Zeke.

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Ahh thanks Zeke... is there a way to open a map and see what the size is?

I am curious to see how large alot of default maps are (esp MP ones) and compare the performance in regards to the size...

Also... what is the game type called for MP that allows you to buy units based on your "points"? (I haven't gotten a chance to play MP yet.. waiting on patch)... So why couldn't we make maps like this with the AI for sp?

Zeke Wolff
04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Ahh thanks Zeke... is there a way to open a map and see what the size is?

As far as I know... no...

Also... what is the game type called for MP that allows you to buy units based on your "points"? (I haven't gotten a chance to play MP yet.. waiting on patch)...

Could be combat with payback mode... but I ain´t sure. And I´m right where you are... ie. waiting for the SP/MP patch.

So why couldn't we make maps like this with the AI for sp?

Sorry, but I don´t understand what you mean? Make maps like this with the AI for SP?? A lot of the maps made strictly for SP are quite large?

~Zeke.

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I went and took overhead screen shots of all the MP maps...

This way you can see how they designed the maps and also see the size... some are much larger than 500x500... they have to be. I primary example would be the Fields map or the Frontline 4_2x2...

I have been trying the DCG but the AI seems bonked and sometimes doesn't work well at all. Pretty sad that Bestway didn't include a simple skirmish mode with payback for SP play or Coop play vs AI.

So I was thinking... if DCG did it.. I wonder why there are no SP payback maps yet? Maybe it is a MP only mode? I am not sure...

What would be great is just to load a map... choose your sides and the AI picks what it wants at random based on its points. Heck you could even set points prior to game start... set AI with 50 points initially and player with 75... as example.

Soldiers upset me when it didn't have skirmish... and I completely missed Faces... but just got Men of War and love it... but it is like a fancy car missing 1 wheel... :)

Looking through the archives of FoW history... there are ALOT of maps and mods for that... I don't really need the mods but if we could port the maps and have more massive map packs it would rock. One thing I noticed is you CAN do is load a vanilla map... highlight and copy entities... then open your map and paste the items in your map... handy!

Have you figured out how to do a height brush ... say at height of 5 while the ground level is at 10? Need an easy way to cut flat roads and hill tops without all the guesswork round brushing...

Zeke Wolff
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
This way you can see how they designed the maps and also see the size... some are much larger than 500x500... they have to be. I primary example would be the Fields map or the Frontline 4_2x2...

Fields seems to be somewhere around 675~680x657~680 in size. To find out, place a tree at each end of the map. Then pick the tree and check the y posítion of the tree. If you do this on fields, the tree is roughly located at -6900 and 6900.

I have been trying the DCG but the AI seems bonked and sometimes doesn't work well at all.

Well... you have your opinion and I have mine... needless to say, we do have a different opinion regarding DCG...

So I was thinking... if DCG did it.. I wonder why there are no SP payback maps yet? Maybe it is a MP only mode? I am not sure...

Payback is only available in multiplayer.

Have you figured out how to do a height brush ... say at height of 5 while the ground level is at 10? Need an easy way to cut flat roads and hill tops without all the guesswork round brushing...

Check the option Fixed Height... or use ALT-LMouse button to make an area flat.

LSHIFT and any of the mouse buttons smoothes an area.

L-Mouse button raises an area.

R-Mouse button lowers an area.

~Zeke.

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Ahh thanks Zeke... good info!

Didn't mean to say bad things about DCG... I just meant that the AI acts odd sometimes but now you mentioned about the "waves" and how they work.. then maybe it is supposed to do that. :)

Your maps are great esp for the DCG .. I just got it working last night so I have only played 3 battles in Africa...

Are you guys / team in need of specific map types? (So far I have just done 1 generic forest map which is like a random encounter)... Still learning the editor but it is really a great tool compared to most other map editors out there.

Zeke Wolff
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Your maps are great esp for the DCG .. I just got it working last night so I have only played 3 battles in Africa...

Most of the African maps are from the game. I am only responsible for four or five of them... (all maps located in the Zeke Wolff folder is made by me. The maps located in the Ngvede folder is made by... ngvede).

Are you guys / team in need of specific map types? (So far I have just done 1 generic forest map which is like a random encounter)... Still learning the editor but it is really a great tool compared to most other map editors out there.

New maps are always wanted... especially maps for the Pacific (the Japanese will be added to DCG when the patch has been released).

And map size should be no smaller than 300x300, but preferably even larger at 400x400 to 500x500. Larger maps than 500x500 isnt really necessary. After all, DCG is about fighting then enemy forces, not driving a vehicle for ages to reach the enemy held objective...

~Zeke.

Quantum3
08-01-2012, 01:33 AM
It is quite easy to make larger maps than the default 500x500. However I do suggest that when making your first map, that you go for one of the default sizes, since it takes some time to get used to work with the editor and also takes a lot of time to make a large map interesting. My own opinion regarding map size, is that I will much rather play on a smaller map with lots of details, than a large map with a lot of empty, uninteresting areas...

To make your map larger than 500x500 use the Polygon tool. The Left Mouse Button adds size to your map and the Right Mouse Button remove size from your map.

To make use of the extra "terrain" on your map, you need to move the border edges etc.

The above is an explanation on how you enlarge an already existing map. To create a new larger map than the default 500x500, just click in the line where the size is shown and enter, for example, 750x750 and the map will be larger. However, this has a few drawbacks; the editor might crash if you tries to create a too large map and a very large map with a lot of details on it, will be laggy in the game.

~Zeke.

This is straight to the point. I was trying to make a large map, because the default ones are quite small. For example, from the map_point to the center of the map is just a matter of seconds to soldiers arriving there, and figure I did an area of around 1500 pixels. Tried to do it bigger, but the program hangs. No performance problems at all with my computer. Then I did one of 3000 pixels by around 750 which hasn't hanged the program, so it seems there is some kind of total amount of pixels, summing both sides, that cannot be surpassed.

However, I will give a shot to your idea of making small maps for the beginning. Will try to figure out if possible enlarging it the way you say, as long as I need to. That's a nice point :)

Thanks a lot!!!

Ø3 :)

Hey, btw, I have noticd that the map is much bigger than shown in the editor. I like the editor cuts the map into an smaller one and the remaining surface stays invisible, but is there. For example, the map top view shows a big map, but in the 3D view, the map itself looks dramatically smaller. Why that?