PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Cut Anyone's Throat

Mack the Knife
04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
:cool: sorry for the gruesome title but have a quick question. i'm in one of the russion missions and all my guys have knives. i crawl within striking distance of an enemy, click the knife, i see the guy draw the knife, the reticule turns red, i click the enemy and he puts the knife away, draws his weapon, and shoots!! hello? i have to hit S to cancel it but what gives? ONE time (in fact the first time i tried using the knife) the guy threw his knife and killed the bad guy but that was the only time i got it to work. what am i doing wrong? thanks!

corleone11
04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
dude, you have o throw the knife. it handels like a grenade without the noise and the explosion.

Mack the Knife
04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for someone finally responding but my question is still the same. i'm 10 feet from the bad guy, i select the knife, i click the bad guy. my guy doesn't THROW it, he puts it away and draws his primary weapon. slitting throats was just an expression, he doesn't throw it either! am i too close, too far away? what?

Prowlinger
04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Could be a direct control thing...

The knife can only be thrown.

Put the knife in your 2nd hand (right hand) and select it like you select a
grenade... then target enemy from a short distance... Your solider should throw it but will not if the enemy is in full cover (behind good protection).

Hope this helps! :)

Mack the Knife
04-14-2009, 11:29 PM
crap...thanks guys, i'm doing everything you suggest. as i said, i can see him draw the knife so i know he has it. the cursor turns to the red target thingie and i click on the bad guy (who is not behind cover, he's sleeping out in the open) and the turd puts the knife away and draws his gun. could it be that i'm lying down? can it only be thrown standing up? oh well, i don't know what the *%$#@ i'm doing wrong....

@prowlinger,

what do you mean about the direct control? are you saying i may need to be in direct control mode? or not? all the stuff i mentioned above is NOT in direct control mode. i'll switch over and try it but i wouldn't think it would be a requirement that you be in direct control just to throw a knife...thanks

Mack the Knife
04-15-2009, 12:03 AM
well, went back the the game and did an experiment. threw all my guys guns on the ground and tried to throw the knife and the turd puts the knife away and throws a grenade! threw ALL weapons accept the knife on the ground and he had it in his hand but wouldn't throw it, he just stood there. prowlinger had the answer...i switch the direct control mode and viola, he throws it. kind of dumb that it's this way (not in the manual) but that's that....thanks

Prowlinger
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe the knife is set to direct control only?

Hmm..

ok looking in the game code.. I do see a knife front attack / melee

{tags "knife basic"} ; strikes types see at {strokes} in set\ability\melee.set
{distance far}
{self
{enable_items "knife"}
{animation "fight_front_knife"}

But it is set to distance far...

Not sure if this weapon is bugged or what... seems strange though. I have seen a melee kill with fists... so maybe the melee knife is redundant and they forced it to be distance only?

If that is the case... maybe there is a priority the AI uses to resort it to nearly the last thing to ever use... hmm.

Ahhh... try this! Set the soldier to HOLD FIRE. Equip the knife.. and then force attack him on someone... I bet that will work.

I think the AI looks at all the weapons in the inventory of the soldier and puts the knife at the last priority short of melee fists... so it will always choose a gun or grenade over a knife and fists while it is set to "auto fire".

;)

Charlie Brown
04-16-2009, 06:21 AM
can all knives be thrown?

Prowlinger
04-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I definitely could be wrong but extracting the code above from the weapon data... I ***think*** all knives are short ranged thrown weapons...

Ossian
04-19-2009, 05:05 PM
select the knife and use the melee action, should be F6 or something. :)

mikeshr2
12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
100% guaranteed way to make knife work. Equip knife in right hand. Put soldier on hold/return fire only. Move soldier toward the target. As you get closer change to Fire at Will. When he is within range he will automatically throw the knife. Be sure to pick it up from the ground by highlighting ground objects. It will be on the ground next to the body.

Gary_P
01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I HAD to read this thread. It cracked me up because it sounds like a song...

"I Can't Cut Anyone's Throat" by Mack the Knife. HAHAHAHA

kane1
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
I HAD to read this thread. It cracked me up because it sounds like a song...

"I Can't Cut Anyone's Throat" by Mack the Knife. HAHAHAHA

That's Hilarious!

KeiranWehr
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
well, went back the the game and did an experiment. threw all my guys guns on the ground and tried to throw the knife and the turd puts the knife away and throws a grenade! threw ALL weapons accept the knife on the ground and he had it in his hand but wouldn't throw it, he just stood there. prowlinger had the answer...i switch the direct control mode and viola, he throws it. kind of dumb that it's this way (not in the manual) but that's that....thanks

If im right, your on the scout mission of the RU campaign?

When I use the throwing knife, I do it in direct control. Without it, i've found my units would run out in the open just to throw it.

Also, in Direct Control you control his aiming, movement etc. Might help a bit more.

I might make try the cut throat thing... maybe it has to be done via melee. I'll make a blank map with 1 very dumb AI standing and i'll try it.

KeiranWehr
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I might make try the cut throat thing... maybe it has to be done via melee. I'll make a blank map with 1 very dumb AI standing and i'll try it.

He stabs him on the spine, but its a one hit kill.