PDA

View Full Version : Steam Release thread

bmcclure
04-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Here's hoping this, and several other recent 1C releases, end up on Steam in the near future.

I've been looking forward to this game since the interesting tech demo.

To get this process moving, if it isn't already underway, I'd love if anyone else interested in this could post in this thread as well.

Nike-it
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Here's hoping this, and several other recent 1C releases, end up on Steam in the near future.

I've been looking forward to this game since the interesting tech demo.

To get this process moving, if it isn't already underway, I'd love if anyone else interested in this could post in this thread as well.

1C games are not going to be distributed via Steam in the nearest future. In any case there are other very good digital download resources (gamersgate, D2D, metaboli and etc.), why not to use them?

bmcclure
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Uh-oh.

I got a response from Karel as well:

"I spoke to few people about this and it seems we should be able to get Men of war, Cryostasis and Necrovision onto Steam soon. However, I do not know exact date.."

Karel's response sounds like great news, but your response sounds like terrible news for the Steam community. Will those three games at least make it on Steam?

Steam offers many games, and the absolute simplest way to acquire them and keep them updated. No other service I have tried comes anywhere close (except Impulse, but it's not there yet). On top of that, I have hundreds of games through Steam, happily, so I'd like to avoid having to use several digital distribution services when I already use the best one, from a customer perspective at least. Some other services are run through websites, like Direct2Drive and GamersGate, so there are no automatic updates, and it's nowhere near as simple as Steam. Plus, Steam's user base is many times larger than any other service out there right now.

If 1C games will end up on Steam, I will be right there to purchase them on opening day. If not, I may end up having to cave in and buy boxed versions sometime in the future. Problem is, Steam games are so easy to work with that my boxed games usually end up gathering dust...

If your games won't be on Steam in the future (and this will make many people very sad!), will they at least be on Impulse so I can keep it to two services?