PDA

View Full Version : About Cryostasis's Performances

Oli-Wan
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Hello everybody! I'm french, and I get Cryostasis a few days ago.

I played a little, I manage to reach the second level. The game is really good, has a great athmosphere, but... what the **** with the perf? Did the developper forget to optimize it?

I've seen many threads in this board about that, but no answers from 1C. It's a really BIG issue. I just hardly get 20FPS on my HD4850, 2GB DDR2 PC8500 and an Intel Core2Quad Q9550... I have to drop the resolution to 800x600 to have about 40FPS with high quality settings... It's unbelievable! And when I turn on DirectX10, I have HORRIBLE lags (for the "thermovision problem", juste change the gamma)... Maybe the developer had rather to optimize their game instead of develop some PhysX compability witch we don't care...

My question is simple, and I hope 1C will answer : will there be a patch to improve the performance? Please... T.T I'm sure I'm not the only one who want to play the game in normal conditions...

EvilInside
03-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I vote to build a church and go pray every day for patch to fix everything with one click...:rolleyes:
I don't know if the cryo will win the most expensive game(:P) but surely will win for the most awaiting patch for the game. I don't even know what kind of patch it will be... there is so many things to change and improve that maybe is more correct to say it "mod" instead of "patch" ;)

Oli-Wan
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
There is no so much troubles but the perfs in Cryostasis, I think... I manage to play a little longer even if the game is incredibely slow, the game is really good... Please, a patch, a patch! T_T *pray*

AchromiciA
03-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Please please please look at the other posts before we get another I can't play the game because of its performance...

One tried and true method of fixing the performance is disabling the EAX Advanced HS sound option. This has helped many people including myself as even with a 4870x2 I was struggling until I turned it off.

Hopefully this helps.

Oli-Wan
03-27-2009, 07:24 AM
I've already read all the posts, and I also did everything supposed to improve performances, including disabling EAX. I noticied that you have the best performance with hardware sound but no EAX.

- I check the PhysX control panel (of course, it was disable, I do not have any nVidia thing)
- I disable the EAX
- I tried all graphic options one after another. Nothing improved the performance but decreasing the resolution.
- I check the configuration file to see if there were some tweak to do... Nothing.

During the flashbacks, I have 9 FPS... I'm playing with all graphic options on high at 1680x1050, without any AA or AF.

The question is not really how to improve the perfs, but a question to 1C and Action Forms : will there be a patch?!

Nike-it
03-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I've already read all the posts, and I also did everything supposed to improve performances, including disabling EAX. I noticied that you have the best performance with hardware sound but no EAX.

- I check the PhysX control panel (of course, it was disable, I do not have any nVidia thing)
- I disable the EAX
- I tried all graphic options one after another. Nothing improved the performance but decreasing the resolution.
- I check the configuration file to see if there were some tweak to do... Nothing.

During the flashbacks, I have 9 FPS... I'm playing with all graphic options on high at 1680x1050, without any AA or AF.

The question is not really how to improve the perfs, but a question to 1C and Action Forms : will there be a patch?!

Yes it will be. It is still in development.

Andrei Mateescu
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
1680x1050 ? Really?
You must be kidding... You really expect to have perofmance at that resolution on a game clearly optimized for nVidia cards? Try a lower resolution than bump up and experiment with the AA and AF, also try to work with the rest of the driver settings.
One of the aspects I observed on the performance issue was that when on a level with a heavy(and long) flashback scene the fps were dramatically decreased. So I think that's one of the major problems - the flashback/present environment corelation.

Oli-Wan
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
1680x1050 ? Really?
You must be kidding... You really expect to have perofmance at that resolution on a game clearly optimized for nVidia cards?

Yes. I play Crysis@high at this resolution without any problems, just like all my other games. The HD4850 is a powerfull card, you know...? And, as long as I know, nVidia cards don't perfom well in this game too.

Well, I'm very pleased to heard a patch is in development. just can't wait for it's release.

atmospheric
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
this must be one of the worst engines in pc-history. the performance is just HORRIBLE and the game looks, except for the water effects, nothing better than doom3, which runs with at least 10 times more fps on highest settings.
this abomination needs to be patched fast, please!

boredgunner
03-29-2009, 01:12 AM
The problem is your video card, ATI Radeon HD 4850. It is not equipped with NVIDIA PhysX support. You honestly believe a game made with an NVIDIA physics engine would work well on your ATI card?

The performance is still the worst, it runs worse than the Crysis games and looks worse. I went below 25 FPS sometimes with my EVGA GTX 260 CORE 216 (55nm), however when I added a 9600GT to my system and dedicated it to PhysX, things got much better. I play it on 1680 x 1050 on the highest settings, 1x AA and 16x AF.

Oli-Wan
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
... So what?

I remember a loooot of games "Nvidia the way it's meant to be played" which worked better on ATi.

In the case of Cryostasis, neither ATi nor nVidia have good performance, the brand is not the problem, and as far as I know, the other PhysX games aren't slower on ATi than nVidia without PhysX, Mirror's Edge is a good exemple. (http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1476&pageID=6252)

So stop trolling... ATi is not the problem, PhysX is deactivate. The only difference between nVidia and ATi in this game is that ATi hadn't all the useless physx effects... So, I repeat, yes, I believe that a game with PhysX support will run well on my card without PhysX effects, and that is the way it should be...

No need to discuss about the two 3D Card manufacturer, there will be a patch, so there are no problems anymore. :grin:

Nike-it
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
The upcoming patch should make the performance on ATI cards similar to Nvidia, right now, Cryo is better optimized for NVidia.

EvilInside
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
when the fox could not reach the grapes say it is sour...
when the ati users could not get the physx say it is useless...
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9077/facepalmj.jpg

Oli-Wan
03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
PhysX is useless since it's release by Ageia a couple of years ago, with the PPU. Since this first release, nVidia buy the technology (like usual...), and it didn't change anything. OpenCL and Havok is a lot more intersting. But it is not the debate...

Breach
04-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a nVidia GTX 295 with 182.08 and PhysX enabled. At 1900x1200 it's still choppy at times at max settings. The weird thing is -- if I actually disable hardware PhysX it runs better?

Andrei Mateescu
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
GTX 295? Wow, I'll probably sell my soul to :).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:
By now everybody knows that Cryostasis may run horribly, on just about anything(that includes 295), so get over it. A patch is coming, which I think is the most the devs can do at the moment.
End of discussion... please.

The PhysX issue, likewise, is much to prominent. The fact of the matter is that all of the leading physics engines have their pros and cons. PhysX falls exactly in that category, it has some unique abillities and some incredible "inabillities", so ...get over it. And I wouldn't worry too much about the "corporatist actions" of nVidia either, bearing in mind the fact that it's not going quite how they planned. Again - get over it.

boredgunner
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
... So what?

I remember a loooot of games "Nvidia the way it's meant to be played" which worked better on ATi.

In the case of Cryostasis, neither ATi nor nVidia have good performance, the brand is not the problem, and as far as I know, the other PhysX games aren't slower on ATi than nVidia without PhysX, Mirror's Edge is a good exemple. (http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1476&pageID=6252)

So stop trolling... ATi is not the problem, PhysX is deactivate. The only difference between nVidia and ATi in this game is that ATi hadn't all the useless physx effects... So, I repeat, yes, I believe that a game with PhysX support will run well on my card without PhysX effects, and that is the way it should be...

No need to discuss about the two 3D Card manufacturer, there will be a patch, so there are no problems anymore. :grin:

Perhaps you should look up the term trolling. I have a friend who has an AMD dual core CPU overclocked to 3.4 ghz as well as an ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card, he hardly surpasses 20 FPS in this game. On the other hand, before I installed my PPU I got much higher performance than him, I only dropped to around 20 FPS in a few areas, the rest of the time I was above 30. Not to mention I have a larger monitor and play on a large resolution. I know my GTX 260 CORE 216 is slightly faster than the 4870 but the difference is almost negligible, except for in PhysX games like Cryostasis. My CPU is faster but either way our cards aren't in much of a bottleneck. That was just one post from experience. I would like to see how the game runs after the patch is released.

Breach
04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't want to bash Cryostasis performance merely because this doesn't help it. As I said in an another forum this kind of performance is something I'm OK to let Crysis get away with, but not this game. Ultimately justice materializes in sales figures.

Regardless. As I said even with an nVidia GTX 295 I was hitting issues. From what I hear ATi performance is pretty horrid.

JuggernautOfWar
04-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, all we can do is wait for a patch which will hopefully introduce multi-threading. (April 20th) I believe that is a huge issue here, our CPUs are not being utilized by the game, so we get horrid frames.

serinity
04-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I run a i7, 6 gigs of ram, and 1 nvidia 260 with no problems at all. it is smooth sailing the whole way. Play with max settings and everything turned on. I've even gone into the Nvidia control panel and enabled supersampling, 8x antialiasing and anisoptropic and set it to enhance current settings.

I dont understand how you say that a 295 will have problems lol. It shouldnt. Maybe when it gets choppy at times you have something running in the background?

My only issue is that fly mode is on and clipping is turned off so everytime i start up the game i have to open the console and turn that crap off.

JuggernautOfWar
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Well the GTX 295 is basically two graphics cards in one. If an application isn't SLI enabled it has only half of the benchmark performance. So I have no idea if this game is SLI enabled, but I doubt it seeing as though the game is not multi-threaded.

eliteops1
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM
My performance with Cryostasis isn't that awful, it's about 30-40 in crowded areas with lots of lights, etc and usually 45-60 in other areas.
This is on all maximum settings, 1440x900.
Of course, since the game only uses one core, this isn't as bad for me as it is for some users, as I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6g/hz so it's using a single 3.6g/hz core.
Some of you guys should really try overclocking your CPUs, it helps a lot for this game.:)

My PC specs:
Q6600 @ 3.6g/hz
GTX 295
4gb RAM
Vista32bit

valerian
04-21-2009, 01:10 AM
The upcoming patch should make the performance on ATI cards similar to Nvidia, right now, Cryo is better optimized for NVidia.
What is your policy at the development of patches for the Russian and English names ? Will you develop and release the same patch for the Russian version as you have said you are going to do for the English version ? Or, the Russian version is the "yesteryear's news", and nobody is buying it in Russia anymore, so that you drop support for it ?

Nike-it
04-21-2009, 06:24 AM
What is your policy at the development of patches for the Russian and English names ? Will you develop and release the same patch for the Russian version as you have said you are going to do for the English version ? Or, the Russian version is the "yesteryear's news", and nobody is buying it in Russia anymore, so that you drop support for it ?

The same patch will be available both for Russian version and international.

Breach
04-27-2009, 12:17 AM
I dont understand how you say that a 295 will have problems lol. It shouldnt. Maybe when it gets choppy at times you have something running in the background?

I'm playing 1900x1200, max details all AA/AF 1900x1200, etc. In general it's smooth, but at very specific places, e.g. I can recall a place where you had to navigate through several shipping containers late in the game, it gets below 20 fps. There are quite a few of such places overall.

I'm running on Q9550 @ 3.8Ghz, 8GB 1066 RAM, and OC'ed GTX 295, not I don't have any intensive background applications running.

JuggernautOfWar
04-27-2009, 05:48 AM
So when can we expect to see this patch Nike-It? Thanks for replying...

Gandalf Greyhelm
04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
So when can we expect to see this patch Nike-It? Thanks for replying...

Same question.

To be blunt - I bought this game on the back of the downloadable demo - and fully expected to have the same degree of effects in-game.

I've waited patiently for the US release - without kicking up a fuss about the PhysX limited EU release - even though I find it both deplorable and unacceptable that the companies involved should do such a thing.

AFAIK -the US version has now been released - and, as yet, not a single indication as to when the patch will be available.

All I'm asking for is a rough estimate - days, weeks, months - or never?

G. G.

Unforgiven_II
04-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Any news what exactly the patch will bring?
I mean, if it just adds more Physx i don't think the performance will be increased. If theres much more to calculate we will loose performance instead of getting a better one.

I think there are two groups of users, one group who wants better performance and another one who whants more physical effects. But is there a way to get it both together?

ratcat
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I,m a PC tech so I know how to tweak my PC for performance. I have a new 9800 GTX+ 512 2GB corsair Core 2/3000 (6850) getting a bit old now. FEAR 2 runs on full settings and starts in about 15 seconds. I dont know the FPS but it never misses a beat nor a second of lag. C-stasis runs badly with EAX disabled and Physx disabled in the nvidia control panel after a few minutes it settles down and runs ok but why should I play the game in a low res with the extra features turned off? I wont be playing CRSTS until a patch is released and then I will start from scratch.

JuggernautOfWar
04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Well turning on PhysX in your control panel will give you a HUGE performance increase. You seem pretty techie.... j/k

BloodBath
05-15-2009, 12:05 AM
For my set-up the best performance I can get is at 800x600 with every video option either off or low and PhysX off and Hardware EAX ON. If I turn off EAX off performance is worse.

Still I'm faced with jerky mouse control and low resolution/detail.

Pretty disappointing since I can play anything out there at twice the detail completely smoothly.

I find it interesting that PhysX cripples gameplay and I have an nVidia 8600 GTS. Hilarious if it wasn't so maddening.

It boggles the mind that these issues went completely un-noticed by the developers/publisher.

The only suggestion I can make is that they developed/QC'd on top of the line tech and didn't bother with lower grade machines.

Either that or they knew and didn't care.

Note: We're talking perception here, as in CUSTOMER perception.

Get the picture?

JuggernautOfWar
05-15-2009, 04:03 AM
8600 is not a great card, hell, it's not even good for gaming. It'd be good for watching DVDs and okay for watching HD movies.

CheapAssGamer
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
8600 is not a great card, hell, it's not even good for gaming. It'd be good for watching DVDs and okay for watching HD movies.

It wouldn't make a bad physx card if you got something better as a GPU and had 2 pci slots.

CheapAssGamer
05-15-2009, 03:43 PM
on my 8800GT (BFG OC2) its playable at 1280x960 with motion blur on and all effects at MED. I was waiting for the patch but I grow weary.