PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Physx shown in the tech demo???

AndroidVageta
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
SO WHATS UP WITH THIS GAME??

Throughout the ENTIRE game not one piece of Physx was used in the game. For all of you that ran the AWESOME tech demo and saw the realistic breaking glass and all the awesome water physics...none of this exist in the game...NONE OF IT...NOT A SINGLE DROP OF WATER FLOWS!

The biggest Physx that exist in the game are maybe a couple of pieces of fluttering fabric in the wind...and even then it can't rip or tear...no amount of bullets will destroy the cloth, just make it move all over the place like you are shooting at a piece of Kevlar.

Anyone else have any thoughts and any idea why they would release such a compelling tech demo only to not use any of it in the actual game?

I mean, seriously disappointing...

sonarbloke
03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm running Cryostasis n XP and I suspect that some of Phys X effects are shader model 4 only so I'm only seeing 'some' of the Phys X stuff. I may be wrong though. Are you using Vista?

Also, I've decided to put the game to rest until a patch of some description is released. I can't run the game without rolling back to the Phys X version included on the Cryostasis DVD - sorry can't remember the number but it's a version from late 2008. if I run any other Phys X software I get a runtime error when starting the game.

I've also noticed that performance drops through the floor for no apparent reason at certain times. If I quit back to Windows and restart the game perfomance suddenly shoots up again and it becomes playable once more. For instance when I was stood in a cell staring at a wall my framerate dropped into single digits. I quit and reloaded then I'm back into the mid 30's again.

Windows XP (service pack 3)
E6750 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 260 (core 216)

AndroidVageta
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Im running it in SM3.0...which shouldnt matter, tech demo ran with all the pretty effects in SM.3.0...so I don't think thats the issue. Running Vista Ultimate.

You said some Physx, do you have more than me? Like I said, only Physx I've seen is a bit of cloth here and there...nothing more than that.

sonarbloke
03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Hmmm, something definately not right then. I'm seeing the same stuff as you as far as effects go. I'm not seeing any other effects apart from the cloth stuff.

Have you had any problems runing the latest Phys X software? Like I said, unless I run the older version (8.09.04) the game won't run at all. I'm using the 182.08 driver.

AndroidVageta
03-24-2009, 05:23 PM
No all drivers are current and I had no problems running the game except for the ocassional crash.

I guess the tech demo was just to show off the engine...which even then is shitty...why have such an awesome tech demo and none of it the actual game...kinda defeats the purpose.

sonarbloke
03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know why the thing won't run with up to date Phys X software on my machine, it's frustrating. As for the missing effects, yeah I'm with you. It seems utterly pointless to demo them then take them out of the final release - if this is the case.

Although I still suspect (and hope) some heavy duty patch is on the way with the rumour that the US release is being re-optimsed. This game has many perfrormance issues and faults but for all of them I find it genuinely interesting and immersive at times. They should have delayed the release to iron out some of the major problems.

We shall see.......

Massacher
03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
same issue here, not seeing any of the effects shown in the tech demo.
i started out playing in XP Pro with SP3, and i switched to playing it in Vista x64 with SP1 around level 8. i was hoping that maybe with DX10 the effects would be there under Vista x64 but they aren't. guess we'll just have to wait for a patch.

Dcrysis02
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
There was a discussion about this earlier,here is the(i think valid)answer:

methylbenzoate:
"PhysX is used heavily to render the water caustic effects.

The term caustic, as it pertains to the option in Cryostasis, can be defined as such:

The envelope of light rays reflected or refracted by a curved surface or object, or the projection of that envelope of rays on another surface.

If you look at the walls, before you "thaw" a room, you can see that they are coated with ice particles that glimmer and twinkle in the light. Once you start "thawing" a room from the heat of a lamp or other device, you can see water running down along the walls. It too changes the way light appears on the walls.

To sum it up, PhysX, as it is implemented in Cryostasis, controls much more than just the physical interaction of objects with the environment. PhysX controls the movement of all particles, lighting, and shadows in the game.

I added a 9800 GT to my computer for dedicated PhysX, and Cryostasis performs way better now that the GTX 295 does not have the strain of both 3D rendering and PhysX.

I'd recommend the same for ATI users, but you'll need Windows 7 in order to use heterogeneous VGA adapters - ATI 3D rendering + nvidia dedicated PhysX."

boredgunner
03-29-2009, 01:10 AM
On SM 4.0 the game is just like the tech demo but the water looks slightly worse and thicker. You really expected a frozen ship to have water around every corner? All of the objects interact just like in the tech demo, and when there is water, it is the same as the tech demo but it looks slightly worse. You also see frost melt into water in real time. This game is amazing.

thales100
03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
There was a discussion about this earlier,here is the(i think valid)answer:

Wow, i think ill play it again just to check all physX details :-P

Breach
04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Check out the site -- they are releasing a patch for the EU version together with the US release which will enable extra PhysX effects.

JuggernautOfWar
04-14-2009, 03:22 AM
"Action Forms and 1C Company announced today that a special patch with additional support for NVIDIA PhysX technology is currently in development for the recently released first-person shooter, Cryostasis. This patch will ensure that all levels of the game feature the same degree of physics that are available in the technical demo created for NVIDIA and featured on the nZone Web site

** Cryostasis has been launched in Europe this week, with PhysX implemented throughout the game. However, 1C has decided to add higher levels of PhysX to coincide with the US release by Aspyr in April. Available free of charge, this patch will add extra PhysX effects to the game that are accelerated in hardware when played on machines with compatible NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.

** The patch will be made widely available on 1C and NVIDIA Web sites."

GREAT news:!:

Ywap
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
"Action Forms and 1C Company announced today that a special patch with additional support for NVIDIA PhysX technology is currently in development for the recently released first-person shooter, Cryostasis. This patch will ensure that all levels of the game feature the same degree of physics that are available in the technical demo created for NVIDIA and featured on the nZone Web site

** Cryostasis has been launched in Europe this week, with PhysX implemented throughout the game. However, 1C has decided to add higher levels of PhysX to coincide with the US release by Aspyr in April. Available free of charge, this patch will add extra PhysX effects to the game that are accelerated in hardware when played on machines with compatible NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.

** The patch will be made widely available on 1C and NVIDIA Web sites."

GREAT news:!:

Yepp, great news since i´m about to install my old 8800gts as a dedicated physx card. We are waiting:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lawrgm.jpg

:)

JuggernautOfWar
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Aww... you've got a PCIE 2.0 version. Not-so-old after all.;) I've got an 8800 GTS 640MB version. That's it.:(

I'm upgrading to a quad-core next month (PhenomII X4 920). I hope that will provide a performance increase with my new 6GB of very nice timed RAM.

Then I just have to get a better GPU. I've got a GTX 285 in mind. Take me a while to get the GPU though, tight on cash.

What do you guys think?

Breach
04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Off topic, but how do you use a different card for PhysX only? I still have my 8800GTX lying around... How do I make it run with the GTX295 for PhysX only? Hmm... then again given the electricity bill I'm not sure I wanna do it regardless :-]

Ywap
04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Aww... you've got a PCIE 2.0 version. Not-so-old after all.;) I've got an 8800 GTS 640MB version. That's it.:(

I'm upgrading to a quad-core next month (PhenomII X4 920). I hope that will provide a performance increase with my new 6GB of very nice timed RAM.

Then I just have to get a better GPU. I've got a GTX 285 in mind. Take me a while to get the GPU though, tight on cash.

What do you guys think?

I´ve got a gtx 285 but if you´re on a tight budget i would suggest either the gtx 275 or an overclocked gtx 260. The small performance differance if not really worth the extra cash imo.

One more thing, if you´re opting for a nvidia card i would suggest one with a more quiet cooler since the reference one is really loud at 100% fan speed.

I think the Ati cards still have a better price/performance ratio though.

JuggernautOfWar
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes the fans on all AMD coolers are very loud. My dual-core AMD is louder than my friend's quad-core Q6600. Although I have Cool-'n-Quiet off, so that contributes.

I don't really care about sound imo because I'm getting an aftermarket cheap cooler/fan anyway. Also my case is very well insulated.:grin:

Off topic, but how do you use a different card for PhysX only? I still have my 8800GTX lying around... How do I make it run with the GTX295 for PhysX only? Hmm... then again given the electricity bill I'm not sure I wanna do it regardless :-]

http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_cuda_learn.html

It's still now officially out in the US. The official publishing site still says "Coming Soon" and there is no PhysX patch yet.