PDA

View Full Version : Help on Second Russian Level

dubious
03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey, I'm wondering if any has any advice on the second russian level, defending the factory. I'm not exactly stuck, but I already lost my tanks at %80 completed, and I'm worried I screwed the pooch.

donjas
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
If you have anti tank guns remaining you still have a chance. Take direct control of an anti tank gun and take out the tanks, your infantry will take care of the rest. Repeat this for any section where the Germans are in danger of breaking through.

Saryk
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
What I done was brought everything forward (anti-tank weapons and tanks). One thing I thought helped a lot was I bought one anti-tank above the last train car. It would take out tanks that were coming in that direction.

Try to have your anti tank weapons in cross firing range, with your tanks behind them. Excluding the one mentioned above since you can’t get a tank back there.
Also mine everything leading to the trains. Then line your men to kill the enemy infantry.

scotland_93
03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
if u still havent got by that mission, ill tell you what i did.

First of all keep ur tanks and AT guns where they are, also move the guns that are dotted around the map, just pull them back. Next were you first started get the squad of soldiers and go to the boxes right next to them, there you will find anti personal mines and anti tank mines.
Start mining on the two paths to the train, in front of the tanks.(too mine u click on the inventory and go onto the mines right click them and spread them over and area. keep going back to the boxes and get more mines, just mine all the roads u can untill you run out of mines. just leave the men theyll be ok until about after 80% then will start to get malled start retreating them back to the train hav them lydown and theyll just shoot any one hoo gets by the mines. Ur tanks and guns will kill the tanks if amazingly they get throo the mines. I did this they werent even close to the train.

trust me the tanks get fukin killed i have to say

johnyoga
03-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks Scotland...

Your advice should do the trick for me.

Regards,

John

screamingeagles
04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
idd keep your tanks with the train en you will win place mines everywehre

Gaza76
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
HI.
Just keep tanks near train, and a heap of men behind a wall or some place safe.

TheDutchGuy
04-01-2009, 08:24 PM
The best way you can finish this mission is to keep your men all around the gates... A lot of men near the boiler house and the rest at the factory office;) Spread your rolling guns all over the entry gates and keep your tanks out of sight... That's the way I finished this mission!

Daktor
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm on the second mission (protect the train), playing on hard. I can get to about 93% but by then all of my mines are used up and the enemy just keeps sending wave after wave of 4 75mm medium tanks and *!#@loads of infantry.

Here's the strategy I used to get to 93%:

Heavily mine the two roads approaching the train (north and south of the ammo warehouse). After about 80%, the AI repeatedly sends waves of tanks/infantry on both of those roads. The first 3-5 waves are destroyed by mines, resulting in a graveyard of tanks to the north and south of the warehouse. Later waves of infantry/tanks use this graveyard as cover from my fixed gun emplacements. I saw one enemy tank pushing the exploded hull of another enemy tank in front of it, effectively blocking it from many AT rounds. The only way I could kill it was to send a suicide infantry assault.

Alot of the strategies listed here don't seem feasible. I had 6 AT guns firing at a 75mm enemy tank with no effect for ~8 salvos. Mines and AT grenades seem to be the only effective defense against tanks. Anyone know some good strategies for this mission on hard?

Thanks!

Private Ryan
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Use other unused vehicles to obstruct the path for tanks and all......use the tractor and the lorry!!!!!!! This also provides cover for your soldiers....always use your soldiers most effectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are the most important ones on the field with the highest abilities according to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Always place your soldiers behind shelters!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Placement of your AT cannons is critical here...

I find that putting one in the upper left section in the small alley in the bushes and then one on the bottom right long streetway is a good defense.

Also put some soldiers behind the upper right edge of the factory near the columns. If they can AT grenade the first tanks that come in... they all will get stopped in that section.

I find the boilers really hard to secure initially... mine as close to there as you can... AT and AP... most tanks will avoid primary streets mid town and just go rampant through the buildings...

Be sure to spread out your mines everywhere... :) Heck... get 4 soldiers mining right from the get go...

Daktor
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help all. I finally beat it on hard last night! There were 3 essentials:

-Use direct control with infantry to kill tanks with AT grenades. It is critical to position some infantry with AT grenades in kill spots WELL BEFORE the tanks are even close. The 3 tank killzones I used with my infantry was: the raised platform with cylindrical objects in the north to cover both north approaches, the gate in the east (try to kill right in the gateway to slow future tanks), and the buildings beneath the eastern gate to hit the SE tanks that approach.

-Use ALL the mines (AT and AP). Immediately after game starts set as many people as you can to mining. Mines can be found in boxes in the central ammo warehouse. Put AT mines along the roads north and south of the ammo warehouse. Fill the ammo warehouse with AP mines; it will eventually become a central staging zone for enemy infantry.

-When you get the message that the enemy has given you a break, pull everyone back ASAP! Position fixed guns and tanks at the north/south entrance to the train area. Place some infantry with the fixed guns but place the rest of your infantry in between the ammo warehouse and the buildings on right edge of the train area. There they can pick off infantry coming out of the warehouse and the ones trying to overrun your fixed guns to the north/south.

I made it to the "enemy giving you a break message" using only AT grenades to take out tanks. After that retreated everyone back and slowly lost everyone to subsequent waves. In the end barely had a few squads of riflemen left when it finally hit 100% loaded.

This is by far the most brutally difficult RTS mission I have ever played. I'm still trying to decide if that is a good or bad thing; I think good. :)

Prowlinger
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I have not tinkered with the different difficulties...

Essentially what does it do Easy vs Hard mode? Send more units and troops? Alter their stats?

Daktor
04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm not sure what the difference is.

For comparison:

Hard: attacks start with light tanks, move to 50mm, then finally medium 75mm tanks. Waves start with 1 tank and about 5-10 infantry, then 2 tanks and ~15 infantry, final waves are 4 tanks with about 20-25 infantry. There was usually about 2 - 3 minutes between waves except for at 75% when there was a reprieve of about 4 minutes.

Final Score: 940 enemy infantry killed, 39 enemy vehicles destroyed

hkkf1970
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
There's an HMG in the middle of this map, in a corner surrounded by sandbags. Is there any way to move this HMG out into where the action is?

It seems to be bugged/blocked by the bags - I even tried bringing in the tractor to see if I could hitch it to the back, but to no avail...

hkkf1970
05-21-2009, 12:59 AM
There's an HMG in the middle of this map, in a corner surrounded by sandbags. Is there any way to move this HMG out into where the action is?

It seems to be bugged/blocked by the bags - I even tried bringing in the tractor to see if I could hitch it to the back, but to no avail...

MY BAD - initially, there was 1 man on the HMG with 2 on the side. Need 2 men on the HMG before it could be moved.

Boyarpunk
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the tips and strats posted here. After 8 or 9 failed attempts on Normal difficulty, I finally completed this level.

The key to beating this mission is definitely: (anti-tank) mines, mines, MINES!:)

pbz06
05-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I can't beat this level :(

anybody want to email me a saved game starting at the very next part of the mission/level? :)

I like a good challenge, but once it gets to a certain point, it becomes more frustrating than challenging. I've gotten to the 90-95% completion range, but just can't hold on long enough. It's beyond annoying after the 10th try :(

siicis
05-25-2009, 10:42 PM
it's nothing hard. ok it's long but.... nothing hard.
Just put mines (AP&AT0 at 3 points where they can get near to your train. so many that thous germans wont know where is the tanks front or back. put most of cannons at front line. try destroying enemys tanks turrent(but dont destroy tanks engine/hull/tracks) get 1 or 2 troopers in tank and get it way from action and repair(it should help you with defending). so tanks/mines/luck what else you need.... hmmmm.... that should be it. good luck and i hope you will help this
BTW are you doing it on easy? because i do it on easy and it helped for me(its a good tactic)