PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight Demo Confirmed!

RCAF_FB_Orville
03-14-2009, 05:49 AM
See here http://wwiaircombat.com/

Also some clarification on the need for internet connection and details of their server. Sounds promising on the "anti-cheat" front.

Demo is TBA, but shouldnt imagine it will be too long in coming. :)

Forgottenfighter
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
You can only play online? Seriously? That sucks, I was really looking forward to ROF. Oh man, what a bummer:(

Tvrdi
03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I dont have a prob with that since I play sims only online and fast flat internet is cheaper than ever....but I think they lost money from at least 50% of potential customers...time will tell...

SlipBall
03-14-2009, 09:51 AM
"bummer" +1

tagTaken2
03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
This sim was supposed to keep me distracted until SoW:Korea arrives, but I've managed to go from really excited about the release to furious that they'd make such a stupid decision about constant connectivity req'd even for offline.
It's like they want to fail :(

Igo kyu
03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I've managed to go from really excited about the release to furious
I've gone from barely interested to don't care.

I have yet to use steam, I gather that's similar, I'll stick with the old games if I have to. If something utterly wonderful turns up with an online connection required AND they (whoever they are) convince me that they are not doing anything obnoxious with the data they are getting (which they will be, marketting will insist), then I might think about it.

Forgottenfighter
03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I've gone from barely interested to don't care.

I have yet to use steam, I gather that's similar, I'll stick with the old games if I have to. If something utterly wonderful turns up with an online connection required AND they (whoever they are) convince me that they are not doing anything obnoxious with the data they are getting (which they will be, marketting will insist), then I might think about it.

You don't just need an internet connection to download the game, you need one to play it. There is no offline mode.

unreasonable
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
5. Can I play ROF in offline mode?

No, you can't.

Unbelievable - what morons. Bad enough only having yanks on the allied side, now this.....

Flyby
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
You don't just need an internet connection to download the game, you need one to play it. There is no offline mode.
Well, I guess I can cross ROF off my list. I prefer to play online versus offline, but I really want the choice to be mine.
Flyby out
edit: I wonder if I'm over reacting? I think I need to try to keep an open mind about this. ROF is no longer off my list, but it's definitely a "maybe" now.

JG52Uther
03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
5. Can I play ROF in offline mode?

No, you can't.

Unbelievable - what morons. Bad enough only having yanks on the allied side, now this.....

Worst business model ever.Maybe they have some insurance where they get a big payout when the game fails and they go bankrupt.

RCAF_FB_Orville
03-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Hehehe....Pretty predictable reactions, and understandable. I will try the demo, and see what its like first......Jury very much out on this one.

KG26_Alpha
03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
ROF

Prediction

EPIC FAIL

http://www.concretebadger.net/images/blog/editorials/killitwithfire.jpg

flyingbullseye
03-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm kind of curious what happens to the customers if they did go out of business or their server goes down. Can they still play the sim? Having to connect online just to play offline singleplayer, I'm out. Hope Oleg doesn't do something as stupid.

Flyingbullseye

JG52Uther
03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm kind of curious what happens to the customers if they did go out of business or their server goes down. Can they still play the sim? Having to connect online just to play offline singleplayer, I'm out. Hope Oleg doesn't do something as stupid.

Flyingbullseye

If/when they go out of business,the customer gets a nice new shiny beer mat!

Forgottenfighter
03-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I have a damn wireless modem that is slow, overheats and has a monthly download limit. Maybe when they see how stupid their plan is they will create a whopper of a patch that will enable offline play.

kristorf
03-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Seems a real wierd route to go down, I think this will loose them many (up to this point) eager customers

robtek
03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
They´ve lost me, as a potential customer, for shure!

flyingbullseye
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
We never know, after they get their butts handed to them in sales maybe the devs will release a patch so offline players don't need to connect to their server. If not JG52Uther will be correct, the customer will have a nice expensive beer mat and the rest of us will be $50 richer give or take. Oh well, now don't need to upgrade until the specs for SOW come out.

Flyingbullseye

Igo kyu
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM

7. If an internet connection is required, what amount of traffic (in/out) will there be within one hour?
In multiplayer mode, depending on eventfulness, there will be considerable amount of traffic.
In singleplayer mode (single mission, training, career) - the amount of traffic will be minimal (only statistics and system messages)
I think they're saying it's like steam, you have to be connected to the net to play, but you can play single player.

ECV56_LeChuck
03-14-2009, 06:07 PM
No, they are saying that you need to connect to internet ALWAYS to play. You can play offline, but after login.
If you suffer a disconnection and the mission ends, you lose the points/statistics that you´ve earned through the mission.
I think that´s a very risky decision for a low profile company. If they ask me, they need 2 "exe" versions (like GTR Evo Simulator), one for play online, and one for offline. You buy both in one of course.

Robert
03-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Consoles win another round.

Seems developers/publishers can't get out of their own way fast enough to hand over the reigns of gaming to consoles. Such measures can only sure up sales and allegiences to them.

I WON'T buy RoF in it's current form of distribution and play. Reading responses from forum members indicates I'm in the majority too. How long before all gaming developement will be for consoles?

(I'm aware of the arguement regarding PC strengths over consoles, but developers won't look at it this way. They'll look at the sales figures and think no one wants to play PC sims and abandon PCs entirely. ALL BECAUSE they won't listen to customers.)

SlipBall
03-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I was really looking forward to ROF...now I'm pissed and drinking heavily:-P

Igo kyu
03-14-2009, 08:59 PM
No, they are saying that you need to connect to internet ALWAYS to play. You can play offline, but after login.
In what way is that different to what I said?

I've never used Steam, but I gathered (perhaps wrongly) that is exactly how that is too (or maybe Steam can be used that way, but isn't always?).

ECV56_LeChuck
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Sorry Igo_Kyu!! I had a bad intepretation!!

Igo kyu
03-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry Igo_Kyu!! I had a bad intepretation!!
That's okay, we all do that sometimes. :)

Feuerfalke
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
I believe that, when I see it.

You can set STEAM to offline mode AFAIK and play activated games offline. Of course you won't get any stats for online-games and stats, then. And it would not be the first time a Russian original interview was misinterpreted.

I/ZG52_Gaga
03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
it's no good if you can't have it off-line... Really sorry ...

Foo'bar
03-16-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't have any problems with Steam and when RoF needs a permanent online connection for a kind of copy protection then I don't have any problems with it either.

JG27CaptStubing
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
The reason for making their game work by connecting online is pretty simple. Russia is one of the worst when it comes to pirated games.

The fact is anyone complaining now doesn't get it. ALL PC games are heading this way either through DRM or some sort of Digital Distribution like Steam.

There aren't going to be any more CD/DVD/BluRay at the store anymore. It's well documented that Piracy is killing the PC game world.

If you don't believe me then you might want to take a look at a torrent site and see just how bad it really is.

jasonbirder
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
There aren't going to be any more CD/DVD/BluRay at the store anymore. It's well documented that Piracy is killing the PC game world

News to me..i paid £900 for a Blue Ray transport last month...Plenty of DVDs and Blue Ray disks in my local store and on amazon last time i looked...are you sure you're not doing a chicken little "The Sky is falling down" impression...

Besides i fail to see their thought process...piracy is a problem for us...so what we'll do is ensure sure half of our potential legitimate customer base won't come near us at all either...

Good logic!

jasonbirder
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Theres a massive difference between requiring (occasional) on-line verification...and requiring the user to be online constantly whilst palying in single player mode to exchange statistics and data...
One is legitimate copy protection...and i have no issue with that...the other takes the game into territory that looks like laying the ground for pay to play...or for minimising the Offline aspect of the game and encourage online multi-player involvement...or for marginalising single player content in favour of a multi-player scenario...
There is a differenece between telling me IF i can play the game (IE IF i have a legitimate purchased copy of the game) and telling me HOW i must play the game (IE I MUST be ONLINE all the time..I must exchange game data and statistics whilst I am playing..I must log on to the developers server whenever I want to play the game...even in single player mode)

DoolittleRaider
03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
ROF: Ridiculously Odd Fools! There is a short term "Greed" factor here. Meanwhile, they'll cut their sales by 2/3 or more, and will go Belly Up within six months.

Chivas
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm not happy about the games format either, but they probably lose more sales from piracy than the few people here who won't buy it because of the format.

jasonbirder
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Surely the reverse applies..if they can't shift boxes to people who already play prop sims and have an interest in WW1 what chance do they stand with the man in the street...zero!

JG52Uther
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Chivas its not the 'few here' who won't buy it,its 75% of every flight sim forum that is discussing this!

Chivas
03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
You could be right Uther, but I suspect the forums communities are still small compared the overall flight sim market, and 75% of the forums members who say they will not buy it are just posturing in hopes of a format change.

Chivas
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
It appears from the latest blog that you don't have to be on-line continually to play in career mode. Its only logs on when you start the game, I guess to confirm you bought the sim, and logs on again when you end the game to collect your stats. Atleast thats the way I read it. On-line play of-course you must be logged on continually.

tagTaken2
03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Well, here's one who isn't 'posturing'. If they don't change this, I can't play it, so they've lost a sale.

And if the vast majority of the most keen of people who play flight sims are against this online format, what does it offer the rest of the flight sim market?

They've alienated far more people with this than any number of 'sales' they could have lost through disk copying.

Chivas
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Well, here's one who isn't 'posturing'. If they don't change this, I can't play it, so they've lost a sale.

And if the vast majority of the most keen of people who play flight sims are against this online format, what does it offer the rest of the flight sim market?

They've alienated far more people with this than any number of 'sales' they could have lost through disk copying.

You were on-line longer to write your post than you would be in ROF's career mode. Your only on-line to verify you bought the game and then again to collect your stats. That would take only seconds.

flyingbullseye
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
It appears from the latest blog that you don't have to be on-line continually to play in career mode. Its only logs on when you start the game, I guess to confirm you bought the sim, and logs on again when you end the game to collect your stats. Atleast thats the way I read it. On-line play of-course you must be logged on continually.

That actually sounds a lot like COD:WaW, though not sure if COD actually verifies anything but you get the point. Might change things but we will see with time.

Here's an idea. Tweak the online verification a little. What if you had to do an online verificiation to their server every time you installed it but did not need to be online in any way to actually play the sim in SP?

Flyingbullseye

tagTaken2
03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
You were on-line longer to write your post than you would be in ROF's career mode. Your only on-line to verify you bought the game and then again to collect your stats. That would take only seconds.

I'm not typing this on my gaming PC, that isn't connected to the net, and won't be.

You didn't address the real issue, and in fact, nobody defending neoqb has managed to.

Anyway, I'm tuning out for the meantime. I've commented on their blog forum, http://riseofflight.com/Blogs.aspx?day=20090316 and I'd suggest anyone else concerned does likewise, let's hope they fix this before it kills them.

flyingbullseye
03-17-2009, 01:33 AM
The blog only raises a question for me. The devs say that you don't have to be online when playing SP, only when logging on to the sim or finishing a mission then the stats are sent to the server.

What if you don't care about the stats? We still out of luck?

Things are looking better that when first mentioned, I'm starting to come around now.

Flyingbullseye

JG27CaptStubing
03-17-2009, 02:18 AM
News to me..i paid £900 for a Blue Ray transport last month...Plenty of DVDs and Blue Ray disks in my local store and on amazon last time i looked...are you sure you're not doing a chicken little "The Sky is falling down" impression...

Besides i fail to see their thought process...piracy is a problem for us...so what we'll do is ensure sure half of our potential legitimate customer base won't come near us at all either...

Good logic!

I'm talking about DVDs for PC Games....

The sky is falling? Huh have you been to a retailer as of late and see the PC game selection? Don't know where you live but in the states all the retail Gaming places have a single rack dedicated to PC games and the rest of the entire store is for consoles.

JG27CaptStubing
03-17-2009, 02:21 AM
ROF: Ridiculously Odd Fools! There is a short term "Greed" factor here. Meanwhile, they'll cut their sales by 2/3 or more, and will go Belly Up within six months.

Funny... Why do you think they make games after all? Let me clue you in... it isn't because they love us and its certainly not for fun.

They are companies and the sole purpose for a company is to sell a product or a service. Welcome to the world of business.

JG27CaptStubing
03-17-2009, 02:27 AM
For those that are saying they won't be buying the game because it will require a connection haven't stop to think as to why It doesn't stop companies like Steam from selling games... It's not a show stopper.

Now that EA the largest publisher on the planet has signed up with Steam I would think they would reconsider when the hear how many people won't buy games that require a connection.

Luffe
03-17-2009, 02:41 AM
It's possible to play a game off Steam even if your connection is down.

With RoF it sounds like you can't even start the game if it can't "phone home".

That just doesn't make any sense and I'm not really convinced yet that this is actually the case..

Nike-it
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Rise of Flight is not 1C game and the tread is moved to "Other Topics"!

Robert
03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Who the HELL goes into off topic on this forum? Hell I never even knew there was one.