PDA

View Full Version : Exceptional game!!

Jekyll and Hyde
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Whilst I do not wish to be labelled a "fanboy" and to be honest I am way past that label (age wise) I just wanted to say that after my recent game disappointments, (I was not going to name and shame, but I am) Empire Total War to name but one, I am thoroughly pleased with this game, it is everything I hoped for.

Well ok not quite as the skirmish mode does take a little away from it, but I hope that it may come?

I just find the game to be truly great, I have Company of Heroes and the expansion but to be honest this is by far for me the better game, and it runs perfectly on my system, who could ask for more out of the box, I can't see any patches either from searching around so that is also a major plus point.

I have been so miserable about Empire that this game I got two days ago and have not looked back since!!

And finally a tough game, boy its tough!!, great AI for a change, something that CoH lacked and still does as far as I'm concerned, I have never had a game that literally from the start makes you fight and think about what you should do to tackle an enemy and that makes you nervous and twitchy at the same time, I have had to restart the first mission multiple times due to thinking that all is clear only to see hoards of the enemy coming at me, and trying to take them down before one of them and it only takes one, to chuck a grenade at the tank and its goodnight sweetheart!!!

Wonderful game........thank you ;)

Lancer
03-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I wholeheartedly concur ! I have bought Empire three days ago and its still in the box. I found when I played Soldiers Heroes of WW2 several years ago , all other games went to the wall until I had completed Soldiers and boy was I sad when I'd finished it. MOW game is all I want at moment. Another thread got bogged down with the COH comparison and although that is a great game it is as the Monkees are to the Beatles. I must say a thank you again also to the makers of this great game :grin:

Jekyll and Hyde
03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I am so relieved to meet someone who thinks the same as me, its nice when you get that, not meaning to linger on the Empire thing, but although I can now play it, its performance is dire, and this is after 2 patches!! they both achieved jack **** and that was it, and as for one of the official forums, well, talk about being ignored, I've never felt so insulted, anyway I shan't be going there again.

MoW is a credit to the devs and is how a game should be made

I never actually played Soldiers Heroes of WW2 but it sounds like a real good time you had, and it is horrible when a game you love ends, but at least with this one, as I read in a review, you can play through using different ideas each time, and its never really the same, terrific!! what I love to read about a game.

Well I was looking forward to a long play of this game tomorrow but my PC is making an odd noise when off and just the mains switch on, so the chap who built it is coming round in the morning to listen to it, but my fear is the PSU and if it is, then I'll be without it all day :( still its the thought of having it back the in the evening and playing MoW that will keep me going!

Cheers!! :grin:

firefox83
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Yes, I agree, this is a great game all around. Its nice jumping into an RTS as well, and being able to control your units, and actually get more out of the game.

Agree with S:HoWWII. I loved that game, but was dissapointed when I upgraded to Vista 64, and it no longer worked. I am so glad that they made another game, and it runs on my system. Still running around on the game, and having a blast. Hope to see more come for this game in the future.

Jekyll and Hyde
03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I also love the Inventory part too, because you might only have 3 men left and find yourself in the middle of a mass of enemy soldiers, and the weapons you have won't be enough, and you come across either a dead fellow comrade or enemy soldier and can take what he had, and if its a better weapon and capable of taking out the enemy........then it becomes a huge help, or bandages, just a great thing, one of many!

I hope you dont mind my asking here, but I downloaded and installed the mod that changes the blood effect and adds corpse explosions, but the latter I have not seen, anyone know if it was made to be a rare occasion? I have the mod showing up in my game, and enabled it, but as yet no corpse explosions. No matter, as I just saw it working, awesome mod, I knew I should have waited lol

Now I'm off to try and blast that convoy to bits, but its far from easy and I don't mind if I have to retry 1000 times, its great fun :grin:

Mark J
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
another big fan here ! I have only played the first 3 missions (with a couple of defeats along the way!) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I had just recently downloaded Company of heroes demo and was teetering on edge of buying it but now having played both, this is definitely superior. :cool:

The action is superb, the AI is tenacious and merciless, great stuff:)

Jekyll and Hyde
03-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Just goes to prove that games that create massive hype should not ever be taken for granted, ie Empire (sorry but its true) I had not heard much about MoW until I read one review and that was it......sold!!! :grin: but in this games case the hype would have been totally justified in my eyes

Onto the defence of the Train and man am I having to defend hard, great stuff, never fought so hard since Sudden Strike, and I found those games to be really hard, and never actually completed them all

But I have to tear myself away as its almost 1am and I have been at it all evening, still tomorrow the defence continues :grin:

Jekyll and Hyde
03-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Please excuse the double post here, I won't make a habit of it

But as a couple of people in this thread have mentioned Soldiers Heroes of WW2, I thought I ought to make it known to those that don't know, there is a Vista upgrade for that game here:

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/soldiers/downloads.php

I did pm a chap to let him know that you can also, at least in the UK, buy that game from the "Sold Out" budget label and on the box is a sticker to say vista compatible, but since having done that I found the site above and sure enough the Vista upgrade is there for those that perhaps have the game, but have since put it away because it no longer runs on Vista, but now it will :)

Hope this is of use to some of you, it is to me as I since bought the game for the first time, never knew of it until you guys mentioned it, and that was it off I went to get it, and on Monday I will also have FoW again, bought it along time ago, but was not really too keen, but since having played MoW I just have to have FoW again :)

Cheers

Jekyll and Hyde :grin:

Saryk
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I will agree that Men of War is a very good game. If it had a skirmish, it would be in my awesome game list. But I do disagree about Empire Total War, I do enjoy that one. But there are hardly any strategy games I don’t like.

Jekyll and Hyde
03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I will agree that Men of War is a very good game. If it had a skirmish, it would be in my awesome game list. But I do disagree about Empire Total War, I do enjoy that one. But there are hardly any strategy games I don’t like.

Have you seen this, next best thing to a Skirmish mode

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2778

Scrub that, just saw your other post

donjas
03-23-2009, 06:26 PM
The Dynamic Campaign Generator Mod is better than the skirmish mode as it allows you to play an entire campaign of your choice.

Saryk
03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
The Dynamic Campaign Generator Mod is better than the skirmish mode as it allows you to play an entire campaign of your choice.

Can you buy your units in the whole campaign ? That is something I have enjoyed during the campaign, at least the ones that offered it.

What about the multiplayer maps?

I can’t wait to get home to try it.