PDA

View Full Version : Game completed review- *No spoliers*

CitizenX3639
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Im calling my shot and saying Cryostasis is going to be the winner of this years "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." award. An award for a game that has everything original story, graphics, characters, strong enemies and atmosphere, but in the end execution and technical problems will be all that is remembered.

The Bad:
Firstly, if you have played either S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (1 & 2 ) or Crysis, and you and your pc made it thru(barely) then you will feel right at home with Cryostasis. This game is a complete system hog. I tried multiple settings(Sm, no AA, scaled res) and it barely could keep an acceptable playable average.

Secondly, crashes. Mostly near the end of the game. Dont know the reason, but it seemed to happen when entering the last few bodies.

Third, Horrible, horrendous AI. The AI is a total failure IMO. While the enemies look totally awesome, frightening and very original its just too bad they are complete idiots. Their ability to shoot you without aiming is kind of a bummer. Also i would add the weapons in this category. Besides the necessity of some(a sniper rifle on a ship?) ammo while abundant at the beginning is scarce for some of the more important weapons later in the game. Kind of difficult to go against a double machine gun toting Jailer with bolt action weapons that take a minimum of 3 seconds to load.

The Good:
The story. I know 1C and NVIDIA are toting this as a graphics innovator, but its the story that is the headliner IMO. The best moments are not gun battles, but when you are just a witness or participant in the echoes.

Coolness factor: Who doesnt turn that first heater on and watch the ice turn to water running down the walls and make puddles on the floor without saying to themselves, cool? You get to play as a Polar bear in one scenario, but why o why didnt they let us maul that SOB?

Levels and atmosphere. I could swear while playing this game i would get cold. Seriously. The levels are really great and put together with a lot of thought and detail.

Game length: I guess for its faults this should be labeled under "Bad" but i was totally surprised that this game was 17 chapters and hey i kept going. Great stories will keep you going til the end.

Conclusion
What could have been.

6.5/10

Nightmare Hobo
03-08-2009, 12:43 AM
The AI was shocking. In one part, I climbed some stairs to avoid an axeman, and he clipped through the bottom of the stairs and just kept moving around in circles, ignoring me completely unless I attacked him. Actually, this happened several times. The bugs were annoying too. I just died after one hit from an enemy several times.

What could have been.

Very, very true.

Jon
03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
STALKER - original game - has one of the most complex AI that exist .And after the first or second patch has little bugs , especially under Windows XP It is difficult to compare with another game. Not only the combat , you can see all the features of AI in a living world and with factions that are discarded in games like Far Cry 2 or are ridiculously simple.

You can see more bugs in the ridiculously simple Assesin, s Creed - tons - that in STALKER. The only difference is that the former is a game for casuals, maistream type game with a big company and a with two boobs behind . STALKER only has the money of Sergei Grigorovich , which is a lot but not as much as Ubisoft.

Yes the AI in Cryostasis is not good. But you have to consider that they are zombies, an can not ask for this type of enemies a sophisticated AI . In any case, it is not good, was flawed. But .. Cryostasis not is a FPS or not is the most important part of the game. I do not know why you think it is a FPS, most of the game you do not shoot a gun fire .

What could have been.

For me it was what had to be, I do not want in any way something like Stalker CS or mods for STALKER that activates all the features of the game that do not work in any way. And Cryostasis is similar for me , the game does not need to be another FPS like Doom 3 in a corridor to be a great game

Nightmare Hobo
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
STALKER - original game - has one of the most complex AI that exist .And after the first or second patch has little bugs , especially under Windows XP It is difficult to compare with another game. Not only the combat , you can see all the features of AI in a living world and with factions that are discarded in games like Far Cry 2 or are ridiculously simple.

You can see more bugs in the ridiculously simple Assesin, s Creed - tons - that in STALKER. The only difference is that the former is a game for casuals, maistream type game with a big company and a with two boobs behind . STALKER only has the money of Sergei Grigorovich , which is a lot but not as much as Ubisoft.

Yes the AI in Cryostasis is not good. But you have to consider that they are zombies, an can not ask for this type of enemies a sophisticated AI . In any case, it is not good, was flawed. But .. Cryostasis not is a FPS or not is the most important part of the game. I do not know why you think it is a FPS, most of the game you do not shoot a gun fire .

For me it was what had to be, I do not want in any way something like Stalker CS or mods for STALKER that activates all the features of the game that do not work in any way. And Cryostasis is similar for me , the game does not need to be another FPS like Doom 3 in a corridor to be a great game

1. The OP wasn't even talking about STALKER's AI specifically.
2. I didn't experience any bugs when I played Assassin's Creed, compared to STALKER and STALKER CS.
3. Even though Cryostasis' enemies don't need sophisticated AI, they at least need basic, unflawed AI. It's incredibly unrealistic when they shoot at you repeatedly, without even a pause.

thales100
03-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Zombies arent supposed to have brain ! Hehe, we cant it "AI". :D

Sajeezzar
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
You die in one hit because you didnt keep your warmth up, happened to me too in the crane part with three riflemen in a row.

Nightmare Hobo
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
You die in one hit because you didnt keep your warmth up, happened to me too in the crane part with three riflemen in a row.

No. I had over half my heat meter full. Definitely a bug.

lampa
03-11-2009, 04:53 AM
The game has some really innovative scene , like the theater scene !