PDA

View Full Version : Real 16:10 gameplay

ztorm
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
:!: BIG THANX TO GNIARF :!:

Edit : official patch 1.1 relased, FOV fix is ready ! The game is now Hor+ in widescreen (16:10, 16:9, 15:9) and iron sights work ok.
Edit2 : TripleHead fix is ready.

>>Download NecroVisioN 1.1 - widescreen FOV fix (http://www.4shared.com/file/93627683/1b4eac07/NecroVisioN_11_-_widescreen_FOV_fix.html
)<<
>>Download NecroVisioN 1.1 - TripleHead fix (http://www.4shared.com/file/96356330/6f11e3fc/NecroVisioN_11_-_TripleHead_fix.html)<<

:arrow:See how NecroVisioN behaves in various aspect ratios with these fixes (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15828):idea:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Original post : )
I'm trying to figure out how to configure NecroVisioN for proper 16:10 support... Unfortunatley it's not as easy as in Painkiller.
It's easy to fix the FOV for Hor+ gameplay but the "zoom" (iron sights) causes the game to crash. Here's what I've found so far.

Whatever you do, backup your config.ini and start a new game !

In config.ini :

Cfg.FOV = 110 this will crash the game as soon as you use the zoom !!! It's a correct FOV value for 16:10 though, see screenshots below.
Cfg.FOVRun = 120 (sprint mode FOV, make it 150 for an "Aliens vs. Predator" experience) :)
Cfg.ZoomFOV = 50 This seems to have NO effect on the iron sights view. Values of 80, 55, 50, 10 look the same... and don't crash the game.

The "iron sights crash" gives me an error message with a list of .lua files and numbers. So the Cfg.FOV value set to anything but 100 can crash entire scripts. Weird. :-|

Ideas, suggestions, hints ? ;)

Gniarf
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Idea:tell the devs that if a=b=100, then b=100 and after a=b, not b=100 and somewhere else a=100. (ok I'm mean, my apologies)

suggestion: in file CWeapon.lua, add "self._curFOV = Cfg.FOV" just under "function CWeapon:Apply(old)" (it should be near line 243)

hint: it solves the iron sights crash problem.

note:function CWeapon:Apply might not be the best place. If someone got a better place (the constructor?), I'm all eyes.

bottom line: 1024x768 FTW!!

ztorm
03-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Now that's helpful ! :) Thanks !
Some questions arise though : how do I extract the .lua files ? Where do I save edited scripts ? Do I look like a n00b ? When's lunch ? :confused:

Gniarf
03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
how do I extract the .lua files ? with a tool named Painfull http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=732
Where do I save edited scripts ? in NecroVisioN\Data\LSCRIPTS
Do I look like a n00b ?Not yet. Else I would not have answered.
When's lunch ? :confused:After [before lunch]

cocolapin
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
can't see pictures :'(

ztorm
03-05-2009, 09:11 PM
They work for me, mon lapin. Try to refresh the page...

Thanks again Gniarf ! Looks like I have everything to start working seriously. Even with an empty stomach.

Csimbi
03-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Idea:tell the devs that if a=b=100, then b=100 and after a=b, not b=100 and somewhere else a=100. (ok I'm mean, my apologies)
Mean or not, I have to agree that devs did not do a very good job with the scripts. Sure, it works. But if you change something, the chances are good that the game will crash at some point (at another part of the code). Perhaps this game was not intended to be modded in the first place - but even then...

ztorm
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
The lack of any 16:9 resolution available is probably a hint that the game was not designed with widescreen support in mind at all. So it's only a matter of luck if Painkiller supported widescreen and TripleHead with minimal .ini editing... Necrovision's extra layers of eye-candy probably rely a lot more on intricate scripts. Cryostasis does not a really better job, too. :(

suggestion: in file CWeapon.lua, add "self._curFOV = Cfg.FOV" just under "function CWeapon:Apply(old)" (it should be near line 243)

hint: it solves the iron sights crash problem.Exact same script error. Wow, this stuff is much more complicated than I thought. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this sort of things and a 16:10 monitor will look into this issue, I don't think I'm up to the task...

Gniarf
03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
In which directory is your modified CWeapon.lua? Mine is in C:\Program Files\1C Publishing EU\NecroVisioN\Data\lscripts\Classes

A quick test to make sure you extracted the luas in the right directory is to extract all luas and delete lscripts.pak. If the game crashes, you got the wrong directory.

If you're sure you put CWeapon.lua at the right place, post the lines 230 to 250 of your modified CWeapon.lua.

Csimbi
03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
A quick test to make sure you extracted the luas in the right directory is to extract all luas and delete lscripts.pak.

No need to delete the additional files will override the ones in the packages - you better keep the packages otherwise you might need to re-install.

Gniarf
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I said it was a way to make sure files are extracted in the right place, not that it was a wise thing to do when modding under normal circunstances.

Csimbi
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I said it was a way to make sure files are extracted in the right place, not that it was a wise thing to do when modding under normal circunstances.
Thanks for making that inescapably clear.

ztorm
03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey, I was pretty sure I had followed your instructions to the letter the first time, but I probably screwed up.

IT WORKS PERFECTLY !!! No need to refrain from right-clicking with a single weapon equipped !!! :cool:

Csimbi
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the fix ztorm!
I see you modded only CWeapon.lua. I wonder if there is a problem later on when you ride the mech/dragon/golem.

ztorm
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye out as I progress through the game... I'm still in the early levels :oops:

Csimbi
03-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Oh. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye out as I progress through the game... I'm still in the early levels :oops:
Oops, I hope I did not spoil anything for you.

ztorm
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
:) Not at all, but I'm eager to see by myself what you're talking about !!

devilc
03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
this not work for me i have continuously chrash when zooming

ztorm
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Well, you probably did not install the fix properly and only changed to FOV values. ;)
Double-check that CWeapon.lua is in your NecroVisioN\Data\lscripts\Classes folder.

ztorm
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Comparison screenshots of what the game could look like with the patch and updated FOV fix :
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153828#153828

Yes, scavvenjahh and ztorm are different nicks for the same person ;)

Gniarf, notice how the player's hands/weapons retain their aspect but "move" closer to the player in wider-than-normal aspect ratios ? The rest of the 3D world looks good though. Any idea how to fix this so that they always look like in 4:3 ?

Gniarf
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Not sure about what you mean by "they always look like in 4:3".
1-To "push the weapon forward" you can either try
1.1-opening every .CWeapon file and patching by hand o.Pos (very lame, but easy)
1.2-looking at function CWeapon:ClientTick2(delta) (in CWeapon.lua) and adjust the term(s) in z in ENTITY.SetPosAndRotRelativeTo (ok if 1.3 fails)
1.3-Look at the various self.Pos:Interpolate(self.PosZoom.... I suspect the core of the problem might be here.
2-I you want to stretch (actually schrink) the model in one direction (ie: make it less wide), well, honestly, go flak yourself 455 holes in hell, 'coz if I could stretch in only one direction, that would have spared me a whole lot of trouble in the symetry thread...I think.

ztorm
03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you ! I don't know if I'll be able to fix that and include it in the FOV fix, but I'll definitely give it a try. (Except 1.3 : I certainly don't want to distort the models, so relax)

Widescreen gameplay should ideally look exactly like a 4:3 screen - only with extra "world" to be seen on the sides. The horizontal view should expand AND weapons shouldn't get "closer" in wider aspect ratios. Alas, that's what happens here and although it's hardly noticeable in 16:10 and 16:9, it's clearly a problem in TripleHead. And I care a LOT about TripleHead.

ztorm
03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
First post updated : the FOV fix is available :cool:

I took the "very lame" way for fixing the weapons' positions in TripleHead, it seems to work ok (adding -3 to the third o.Pos value of each weapon). Flames on the fixed ShadowHand look like crap and I still need to edit/test some of the weapons, but I'm glad it can be fixed so easily. I'll release a separate FOV fix for TripleHead resolutions later.

Gniarf
03-28-2009, 07:25 PM
There's a couple annoying things I have to figure out before the TripleHead FOV fix is ready :/
-some CWeapon files don't seem to be used in solo mode, do these weapons exist in MP ? (demonstrike, flaregun...)
Did a quick investigation on the demonstrike:
1-demonstrike is referenced in CActor:Electrize(), demonstrike.lua and Idemon.citem
1.1-CActor:Electrize() is referenced through a commented line and demonstrike.lua via
if Game.GMode == GModes.SingleGame then
if obj and obj._died and obj.Electrize then
obj:Electrize()
end
end
-->demonstrike is SP only
1.2-Idemon.citem is in the "Pickableitems" directory and contains "o.Model = "skull" "
-->WTF?! A pickable skull-demon shooting electric bolts??

-"pushing back" hands/legs/weapons using the z pos works but some models (rigfles, MG) seem to squash, accordion-style against an invisible wall (i.e cannons look shorter than they should)
OMGWTFBBQ: you just found how to make a 1d stretch !
Somehow I think it has something to do with weapons never going through walls (see below) and "tpp 1" (third person perspective) console command showing only a big box.

-once they've been moved, Shadowhand's flame/ice glow + flamethrower tip FX don't stick to the models anymore. For example the flame does not appear around the Hand but somewhere between Simon and the crosshair... Positions of these effects seem to be linked to the crosshair or sth, so moving the emitters only adds to the mess...
For the flamer light look for self._fxFire= BindFX(self._Entity, "flamerfireitem",0.1 , "ROOT", -0.48 , 0.72 , -0.5 )
where:
-"flamerfireitem" is the name of the effect
-0.1 is the scale
-"ROOT" is the hardpoint to which the effect is bound
--0.48 , 0.72 , -0.5 is the offset from the hp
The big problem is that the offset is not in gun coordinates, so you have to tweak it when you change o.Pos
[sights] If only the n***s at farm51 had put hardpoints at the right place, both we and they wouldn't have to use various time-consuming hacks to put FX at the right place.
list of hardpoints ("joints") in the vampgun/flamer/vampshotgun:
flamer_spawara
flamer1
gun
gun_root
j_cam_look
j_cam_pos
j_cam_up
joint1
joint10
joint2
joint3
joint4
joint5
joint6
joint7
joint8
joint9
k_index_root1
k_index4
k_index5
k_index6
k_kurek
k_middle_root1
k_middle4
k_middle5
k_middle6
k_point_root1
k_point4
k_point5
k_point6
k_ring_end1
k_ring_root1
k_ring3
k_ring4
k_root_hand3
k_root_hand4
k_root1
k_thumb_end1
k_thumb_root1
k_thumb3
k_thumb4
bonename magazine
rail
rocket_launcher1
ROOT
switch1
zamek1
zamek2
zamek3
zamek666

I banged my head badly on those when trying to setup the flamer fx for the left handed flamer. Most of those hp were flying about 2 meter in front of the gun, so when I put a flame there I can see it go through the walls. Ofc the gun itself never goes through wall, just its flame, great...

I'm going to investigate whether they wouldn't have messed up in the rotation/translation order.
** EDIT **
It's probably not translation/rotation but effect being in player OR camera coordinates insead of gun coordinates. Try putting:[WRONG THUS REMOVED] in utils.lua at line 905 instead of "PARTICLE.SetParentOffset(pfx,ox,oy,oz,joint,cox,co y,coz,ax,ay,az)". I cannot confirm it works 'coz I got so angry at how they handle weapon/camera/player that I broke everything! :twisted:...now I can't turn the camera at all...
** END OF EDIT **

But I don't mean to hijack your post. Big kudos for the release :mrgreen:
happy that way? (my only regret is that people won't notice the other thread anymore)

Csimbi
03-29-2009, 10:10 AM
happy that way? (my only regret is that people won't notice the other thread anymore)
What other thread? ;-)

Gniarf
03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
For those who tried the BindFx fix I posted in post 24, it doesn't work - sorry (actually it mixes relative and absolute coordinates=bad).

@Csimbi: nervermind

ztorm
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Gniarf, thanks a lot again. I'm much more concerned about the Shadowhand FX than the flamethrower's tip, so if I can't get those to look better, I might just release the TripleHead fix as it is : correct FOV, ok weapons positions, 'flying' emitters.

Gniarf
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Gniarf, thanks a lot again.That's not justified: I did nothing.
I'm much more concerned about the Shadowhand FX than the flamethrower's tip, so if I can't get those to look better, I might just release the TripleHead fix as it is : correct FOV, ok weapons positions, 'flying' emitters.Well no one will complain if you release it even with a few bugs (whiners: fix it YOURSELF). Just continue to investiate the mater...or not.

Anyway I hate dirty code, so during my NecroVisioN code cleaning pilgrinage I'm bound to fix those flying emitters (it's probably going to take a while so don't rely on me).

ztorm
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
First post updated : TripleHead fix released :cool:

Gniarf
04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the release (lol, unfortunately I only have one head).

As for the flying emitters:
good news:I think I understood the problem
bad news: dunno how to solve it (whine@devs?)

short explanation:Weapons are in another plane of existence.

longer explanation:Weapons are in another plane of existence - see attached picture. Where is it said that weapons are elsewhere? In CWeapon.lua, line 247:"self._Entity = ENTITY.Create(ETypes.Model,self.Model,"",self.Scale*0.1, true, gunSort)". That ",gunsort" tells that weapons are to be drawn...dunno...over everything else? In a special gun reserved space?
The thing is, flames are in "normal" space, so to keep emitters at the right place we should move them to the weapon space/astal dimention...but we can't: devs had to use a special hack hardcoded in the engine.dll (it's written in CWeapon.lua), but they didn't implement this hack for particles (afaik).

personally I'd like to put weapons back in the "standard plane", but I dunno what to do when the player comes close to a wall.

here is a screen of weapons when you remove the gunsort parameter:
(notice how they go through the ground)

ztorm
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Interesting. The TripleHead fix pushes most models forward, and I noticed some weapon models disappear (into the Other Plane?) as I'm looking down to my feet. Maybe I'll try and remove the gunsort parameter some day and see what it does...

ztorm
05-20-2010, 11:43 AM
A year has passed. As of today...
-the widescreen fix has been downloaded 501 times.
-the TripleHead fix has been downloaded 113 times.
Probably not all from unique IPs (?), but I'm impressed nonetheless.

I just bought Lost Company, so if I can remember how all this stuff works, rest assured there will be fixes for this one, too :!:

Later !
"Hor+ or GTFO !"