PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen support [pictures inside]

ztorm
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Cryostasis supports widescreen resolutions, but it seems it was developed with 4:3 aspect ratios in mind (1024x768, 1600x1200...). In other aspect ratios, i.e widescreen resolutions, there are less things displayed than in 4:3. Proper widescreen support means "more things to see on the sides", unfortunately that's not what we get here :(

The attached pictures were taken while playing on a 16:10 monitor. You can't change the aspect ratio value in the game options. However I used @r.aspectratio in config.cfg to make sure that the proper aspect ratio was selected with each resolution :

@r.aspectratio = 1.333333 for 4:3
@r.aspectratio = 1.600000 for 16:10
@r.aspectratio = 1.777777 for 16:9

Open each picture and look for yourself. Here's what you get when you compare 4:3 and widescreen, and how it should look for proper widescreen support :

1) WORLD : you don't see more of the right wall, and you see less of the ground and ceiling.
:arrow: Vert- i.e smaller vertical Field Of View (FOV), same horizontal FOV.
Should be Hor+ instead i.e "same vertical FOV, wider horizontal FOV".

2) PLAYER : you see as much of the left arm and rifle, but they take less vertical space.
:arrow: Hands and weapon stretch horizontally. The rifle's sight is a circle in 4:3 but turns to an ellipse in widescreen.
Everything should look the same as in 4:3 in all aspect ratios.

3) HUD (thermometer) : a perfect circle in 4:3, an ellipse in widescreen.
:arrow: Same as the rifle's sight, it's stretched in widescreen.
It should be a circle, all 2D elements should look the same as in 4:3.

:idea: So even if you *can* play in 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, you will actually see *less* of the world than if you were playing in 1600x1200 or 1024x768 ! :idea:

I tried to edit the config.cfg, autoexec.cfg and init.cfg files a lot, but I couldn't find anything to alter the FOV. Settings like r.view, r.viewkoef, r.fov, c.fov, r.fovyscale have no effect - I don't know anything about scripting and programming though.

So, dear folks at 1c and 505 Games, are there any plans to implement real widescreen support in Cryostasis ?
Is there any chance that we'll get "Hor+" gameplay in widescreen ?
I'm sure it's pretty easy to fix, all gamers would appreciate it, and it would allow me to describe the game in detail on the WSGF (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com) so that it gets all the publicity it deserves ;)

boredgunner
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
This doesn't seem like that much of a big deal, I just wish the game was developed with all ratios in mind.

Jon
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
There is a file , init.cfg , with some parametres about the fov in

Program Files\505games\1C\Cryostasis\Data\Scripts

r.fov 80
//r.fovyscale 1
r.fovweapon 54
c.fov 80

ztorm
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I tried to edit the config.cfg, autoexec.cfg and init.cfg files a lot, but I couldn't find anything to alter the FOV. Settings like r.view, r.viewkoef, r.fov, c.fov, r.fovyscale have no effectI had already searched for a way to fix this in the PhysX benchmark by the way. Just like in the game, there are loads of config settings, but they don't help :(