PDA

View Full Version : Great game - 2 issues though :(

SpencerK
02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi there.. I was thrilled to see a game come forth similar to my fav strat game SHOWW2.. This game is a clone of that, but with better graphics.

However, there are 2 major issues at present.

The first is the sounds.. where are they? Apart from speech, and odd brush of a bush when a solider runs past and gunfire, thats it.. I mean, I'm playing it and here absolutely nothing.. No wind, no farm animals.. It servilely impacts the atmosphere.. There is something seriously wrong with the sound.

The second issue pertains to the terrible AI. I mean, I was on the first mission, just after you get the tank, plowd into the villlage, to which I was swarmed by enemy mobs - but they just stood there, not shooting or nothing. One more came and healed himself by my tank, but after just stood there doing nothing, right by the tank.

Are these issues well known or am i just being too picky?

:)
Thanks

DMS|Instinct
02-28-2009, 07:24 PM
The first soviet mission has dumbed down AI as it is a kind of in-game Tutorial.

Men of War is the sequel to Soldiers.

Mack the Knife
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
terrible AI
i wouldn't say that and like someone else alluded to, demos are there for getting a taste of the game and are certainly not the polished product. but i want to go back to your, i believe, misguided analysis of the AI. when the AI happens to "see" a grenade coming, they jump away, hit the dirt, and cover their heads! FANTASTIC!

xorox
03-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Try changing the difficulty in the Options panel before you play single player mode... Add the Fog of War to realistic and change the difficulty to at least normal... And the game is totally different. Enemy soldiers will try to flank your tank and well, throw some Anti tank grenades at it.. =(

Cant wait myself for the game to be released...

SpencerK
03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
i wouldn't say that and like someone else alluded to, demos are there for getting a taste of the game and are certainly not the polished product. but i want to go back to your, i believe, misguided analysis of the AI. when the AI happens to "see" a grenade coming, they jump away, hit the dirt, and cover their heads! FANTASTIC!

Hi

Firstly, this is the full game not the demo - and I'm only expressing what I saw with my own eyes mate, this is hardly a misguided view. When about 5 mobs stand right close to a tank, but do not bother shooting or moving - then something is afoot.

But, as I said this was my first play through on the first level of the game, on normal.

I'm more concerned about the lack of sounds, atmosphere, in the game. I cannot here a thing until someone stats talking or shooting. The music seems to stop and start with no apparent rhythm. I can see this is going to be a great game, after all I loved SHOWW2, but would just like to enjoy it from the start - rather than wait for someone to create a sound mod, like in the previous game.

The game clearly says you can here the wind, cats etc... but I cannot here anything...

Mack the Knife
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
this is hardly a misguided view
let's not quibble but the AI may be lacking in some respects in your opinion, it may not be the best out there in your opinion but IT IS NOT terrible. we've ALL seen terrible AI in games and the AI in MoW is far from that as illustrated by my point with the hand grenades. had you said the AI is lacking in some respects, the AI needs some improvements in certain areas, then OK. but you're misguided to state that it's terrible, which was my point.

SpencerK
03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
let's not quibble but the AI may be lacking in some respects in your opinion, it may not be the best out there in your opinion but IT IS NOT terrible. we've ALL seen terrible AI in games and the AI in MoW is far from that as illustrated by my point with the hand grenades. had you said the AI is lacking in some respects, the AI needs some improvements in certain areas, then OK. but you're misguided to state that it's terrible, which was my point.

Well, it turns out that the first level - which is all I have played - is a very dumb down version of things to come - therefore it is excusable that the AI does hardly anything in terms of AI intelligence - which is terrible!!! :) in the first level.

I look forward to playing through and getting my ass handed to me, thats of course after I run around with my arms held out trying to catch it after its been blown 50 feet high b/c of a nade.

I've been told the sound does improve a lot as well..

orsonic
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Think it may be a problem at your side unless its been adressed in my version .

The wind effects had me checking our windows i was convinced the sound was coming from them:eek:

amazing game , bought 2 copies for LAN

firefox83
03-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree with the sound. Unless I have my speakers cranked at max (which im running 6.1 surround) I dont hear anything. The wind/rain is the only loud noise I hear, on the levels that has it. Other wise, I might get a few cannon blast here and there, but other then that, its quiet. And unless Im zoomed in right on top of the tank, I cant hear them either. Checked all my sound settings, and the game settings, and everything is maxed. Am I missing something here as well?

thegrindre
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Please, let me jump in here and make a comment about this sound issue.
What are you looking/listening for? The higher up in the sky you go, the less sound you will hear. Now, that's very realistic.
You want birds and squirrels? Hey, it's a battlefield and the animals have all run like hell. They're not stupid.
Get yourself down to ground level and listen, just like you were a real soldier.
The sounds are there. It's as real as it gets.
Use hear phones if you really want an experience... Sony makes ear buds for about $20 and are worth every penny.

Mater of fact, this is the most realistic war game I have every played. It's fantastic!

:grin:

firefox83
03-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Yes, I do realize that the futher up you go, the quieter it gets. But unless im zoomed in right on top of the tanks, I dont hear squat. Not trying to start a pissing contest to anything, but I do work around tanks in real life, and them things are loud as heck, even from a good distant away, especially when they fire their main cannons, or the MG's on them. But, like I said, maybe its just me, or my speaker set up, not sure. Just seeing if anyone else noticed this at all.

DMS|Instinct
03-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Yes, I do realize that the futher up you go, the quieter it gets. But unless im zoomed in right on top of the tanks, I dont hear squat. Not trying to start a pissing contest to anything, but I do work around tanks in real life, and them things are loud as heck, even from a good distant away, especially when they fire their main cannons, or the MG's on them. But, like I said, maybe its just me, or my speaker set up, not sure. Just seeing if anyone else noticed this at all.

Maybe try to watch a few gameplay vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeUAkiD9Jmc&feature=channel_page

If they sound the same as for you in-game.
Ofcourse tanks in-game are not going to ear damage you, but I really don't have any problems regarding the volume. :)

scotland_93
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
recently did the 3rd german campaign mission where its the fuel depot.

i told my driver to drive he wos on the road then he just drove into the fuel tanks and i failed the mission.

is it just me or do they suck at driving.

thegrindre
03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Whoa, firefox83, I meant no disrespect at all. You may need to adjust your sound system. I have two speakers at the present time so stereo is all I get. If you have surround sound, try going into their adjustments and try a few things.

Sorry if you took what I said the wrong way...

My point was to mean that they have done an excellent job with the sounds, IMO.

:grin:

firefox83
03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Sorry about that too, just reread what I wrote. Wasnt trying to sound like a ass, but guess I did.

I do agree that the sound is good, but it just seems to die off too fast. It could be my speakers, but I know when I some out more then a few feet, I pretty much loose are sounds. When Im zoomed in though, it sounds like Im driving a real tank. Even rattled a few items off of my shelf, so had to turn the speakers down.

Ill go back thorugh and check my settings as well, maybe I forgot something somewhere. Thanks

SpencerK
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
This is truly a great game, but the sounds are not the greatest. I put on LotRME right after, and actually the sounds where loads better on that, they do seem to cut off if you move out slightly.

For SHOWW2 someone did a sound mod that added a soundtrack to the game, it was wonderful :

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mods/soldiersheroesofworldwarii/mod.html

Hope someone gets down and does something similar for this game..