PDA

View Full Version : My Demo Experience

csthopper
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
First off I’d like to admit that before playing the Men of War demo, I’ve never knew much about the game, or its predecessor, until I heard about the game on another forum.

I spent about 4 hours this weekend playing the demo (on Normal). I was very impressed with the unit interface options and squad control. It took me a while to get comfortable with controlling the squad, but once I got the hang of it, I was able to appreciate the complex unit/squad actions you can perform.

What took away from an overall good experience was when I was tasked with pushing the Germans out of the town using 1 Tank, and 1 squad. After surveying the town, I notice there were 3 AT guns, and 2-3 squadrons of German troops. My conclusion was this particular scenario would require my troops to disable the AT guns before my tank could enter the town.

Unfortunately this strategy all but dissipated when I started manually firing the tank’s gun. Manual fire turned the game into an arcade turkey shoot. My tank could pick off the AT guns from a distance without any response from the German AI. For the rest of the scenario my one tank destroyed all AT guns and squadrons of troops.

Personally I saw this more as an exploit then anything else, but still it’s an exploit that takes away from the realism of the game. It seems to me that either the line-of-site and accuracy of manual fire needs to be reduced, or the AI’s line-of-site and/or response actions needs to be adjusted.

Again, I enjoyed and appreciated the demo. It’s hard to come by good PC strategy games these days, so I tip my hat in the quality effort and time put into this game. I look forward to purchasing the game.

DMS|Instinct
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
The demo is the first mission in the campaign and is pretty much trying to teach the player how to play. Those at-guns aren't a match for your tank at all, they can't actually destroy it. So the player gets into it slowly and learns how to control and use vehicles properly, before the first enemy contact ends in a flaming tank and a restart of the mission.

Fog of War and different difficulties can also be adjusted in the games options.

csthopper
02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Ah yes you're right. Went back and change the difficulty to Hard and set the Fog of War to realistic; much cooler!! I still handled the German machine gunners pretty well, but my tank was instantly disabled by the AT guns (that i couldn't see) when i ordered it forward. Excellent, I'm off to try again :-)

Colonel Kilgore
02-24-2009, 05:26 AM
I have to say good objective opinion on the demo of mow. Did you never play Soldiers Heroes of WW2? Well that game was over the top in difficulty and not realistic at times. I think the guys at 1C et al....have done a fantastic job at this new title and i am drooling to get my hands on it when it is released here in canada in march. Oh baby.....

Anyway again kudos for the teams on production and a lot of the beefs from Soldiers HOWW2 have been addressed and what a relief!! Hours of gameplay fun for me. But as another junior member has observed, the blood/corpse/explosion damage has taken a different turn. Any ideas from the new mod that he has ( i forgot his moniker) introduced for this ?>

Colonel Kilgore