PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy it, but demo locks up

City Builder
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi,
I've been wanting to buy Kings Bounty TL since I enjoyed Heroes V so much, however I've installed the demo, and it locks up within about 5 minutes. And it's not just a normal game lock up where you can still return to the desktop, it's a hard lock where the only option is to power down the computer.

Im running the following:
Windows Vista 64 bit
Nvidia 8800GTS with the last driver (not the feb 2009 driver but the one before)
AMD Phenom 9500 or 9550 (I can't remember which)
8GB RAM
Plenty of Hard drive space (over 600GB free on the primary drive)

Is this a game and vista 64 bit issue or a driver issue or what? Obviously I don't wish to spend the money on a game that might or might not lock up my computer when I wish to play it.

Thanks,

Zonc
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Well, what about other games?
Have you been overclocking?

And I think this might be Vista 64bit issue (I don't get why do poeple need 64bit OS's)

City Builder
02-21-2009, 04:31 AM
All other games that I play, play splendidly on this computer, and no overclocking here.

I was able to finally play if I skip the intro, the part where you have to go fight the dragon, if I let the guy decide what is my fate then I was able to play the game for a while, however at the same time I turned AF up to 16f and turned off music and adjusted some other settings so it could either be that there is a problem with the intro area and vista 64 or it could be a matter of some settings and what they produce is not good with my computers operating system.

I don't know which it is, but find it unlikely at the moment that Im going to pay full price just to find out that I have problems playing it in the full version.

This is a relatively new computer for me, I just bought it locally about a month and a half ago however, it plays all my games on the highest settings without crashing, I may get some slow downs in frame rate here and there, but no other games that I am currently playing cause the computer to crash yet.

City Builder
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Man what baloney is this. I took a chance and bought the game yesterday locally, and patched it today and going into the training area it still locks up the computer into a hard lock where I have to press the power button to recycle my computer.

If this is truly a 64 bit issue, one would think they would want to fix it since when I was at the best buy yesterday almost all of the new computers had vista 64 bit installed on them. They could increase their sales if they fixed this I would imagine (or should I say they COULD have increased their sales to all those people that now have 64 bit vista).

Hey 1C how about an official fix for whatever is causing this, whether that be 64 bit vista or just a problem in the game.

City Builder
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Update: I've now played the game for over 5 hours without a crash. The solution was simple, it was finding the puzzle code of settings that work together to where they don't produce a crash.

My settings (see image attachment) has also worked for another forum member here that was also having crashes all the time and couldn't play. This is by no means in my opinion the only solution of the puzzle of the settings panel and tweaking it may be allowed you to improve quality or service, however this particular settings is working without crash for me now where as before I tried full high settings, full low settings and still crashed every 3 to 10 minutes(keeping fingers crossed that it remains that way). I may be full of bull pucky, however I now believe that there are settings that when used in combination together in the game specifically causes the game to crash (not the first game to have this problem), so for some dumb luck I stumbled upon the settings that all work together in the game, look good (in my opinion) and best of all, is not causing the game to crash every 3 to 10 minutes like it was before.

Hopefully this will help anybody else that comes along with crashes and not understanding why.