PDA

View Full Version : Video and audio files available in Sow?

igitur70
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Hello,

Having been playing Compan's "Under the white rose" campain recently, in which he uses audio files in a very clever way, I thought the following idea could make the offline experience dramatically more lifelike imo, especially if you consider it in a campain-building perspective :

What if the designer of the campain had access to some audio and video files that he could use at will for different purposes ? Examples :

- using off-voices and pre-recorded video animations, you could lay down your campain setting, structure the gaming time into a movie-like storyline, open the campain framework by multiplying if...then scenarios,

- using triggers (we know we'll get some), you could script customized communications between any protagonist of your story, introduce specific sounds following the circumstances, anticipate events and prepare a little video to present them off.

Advantages : infinity of scripted and immersive campains available, replayability, and no more need for oleg's team to worry about their sim's immersive dimension.

Isn't that the best idea ever (although expressed in rough frenglish) ?

nearmiss
02-20-2009, 04:46 PM
The sound is all about where you the player are in relation to everything else that is going on. Everyone knows this... just a reminder.

By that I mean - If you are in the cockpit behind a 2,000 hp motor screaming at high RPM you wouldn't hear much of anything but your motor.

If you are standing behind a webcam looking at the action you are going to hear things differently.

If you are outside an aircraft flying behind it's rudder you're going to hear things differently.

If you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and another Spit does a flyby... a different sound altogether.

So, my gosh the sound situation is always changing.. based on where you the player are at that time.

Up to now Oleg has done a pretty good job of things. No doubt sounds could be better, but remember where you are when you are talk or complain about the way things sound.

I agree things could be better, but most complaints I read are from people that want to hear outside sounds from inside the cockpit. That just isn't normal, but it does make things more exciting.

It would be great to hear multiple explosions, heavy cannon fire, etc. from inside the aircraft. Then of course it would be great to see smoke, fire and clouds at distances you could see real world. Then it would also be great to fire cannons that could shoot for 17 miles, like in real life. This way you could place artillery a sensible distance away from the frontline action.

igitur70
02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I think you got me wrong. This thread is not about complaining of how the sounds sound. It's about allowing the campaign designer to insert recordings of his own or friend's voices, triggered following the situation and the unfolding of the campaign. Idem for the videos.

flyingbullseye
02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Are you refering to better radio chatter? It would certainly help with the immersion in the offline campaign.

Flyingbullseye

igitur70
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Are you refering to better radio chatter? It would certainly help with the immersion in the offline campaign.

Flyingbullseye

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. And not only radio chatter, but any kind of conversation, instructions, explanations. The idea is to create a general movie-like ambiance, with a well-designed storyline, using the triggers to launch customized audio and video files at the right moment.