PDA

View Full Version : Staggered Release Dates = Bad Idea

Bangy
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
hi.

I hate to have my first post be on such a negative topic but I can't help to point something out.

Evidently the game (Necrovision) is to be released in Europe on Feb 20th while the North American release isn't dropping until the spring.

Is it obvious to anyone else that this is just asking for people to pirate the game? I fully understand that a matched release date won't stop ALL piracy but when you separate a game release by MONTHS, particularly if the game ends up being popular with decent reviews, then you are just asking to be a victim. Why not minimize this by simply releasing at the same time?

All one needs to do is look at the game "Call of Juarez" which had almost a year between releases between Europe and North America. The sales here were abysmal despite it being a good solid game. Maybe it just wasn't popular but I'm sure things wouldn't have been as bad had it been released at the same time?

Am I wrong here or....? :confused:

Nike-it
02-11-2009, 06:36 AM
hi.

I hate to have my first post be on such a negative topic but I can't help to point something out.

Evidently the game (Necrovision) is to be released in Europe on Feb 20th while the North American release isn't dropping until the spring.

Is it obvious to anyone else that this is just asking for people to pirate the game? I fully understand that a matched release date won't stop ALL piracy but when you separate a game release by MONTHS, particularly if the game ends up being popular with decent reviews, then you are just asking to be a victim. Why not minimize this by simply releasing at the same time?

All one needs to do is look at the game "Call of Juarez" which had almost a year between releases between Europe and North America. The sales here were abysmal despite it being a good solid game. Maybe it just wasn't popular but I'm sure things wouldn't have been as bad had it been released at the same time?

You not right, the difference between the releases in Europe and USA will be quite little. You should undestand, that the game is published by different companies and setting the same date is a bit of problem.

ryan40k
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
The game was available on torrent sites midway through February

There isn't any way to stop piracy but having the release dates months apart greatly encourages it

Csimbi
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
hi.

Look at the bright side: you won't need to wait for a patch (you might not even need a patch if you get the already game patched).

ZIGS
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Necrovision and Cryostasis will have crap sales in EU/US due to this very reason. Stupid publishers won't learn...

Csimbi
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Necrovision and Cryostasis will have crap sales in EU/US due to this very reason. Stupid publishers won't learn...
This is just speculation, which is impossible to prove.

ZIGS
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
You call it speculation, I call it common sense

Csimbi
03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
You call it speculation, I call it common sense
If they don't sell soap in Walmart for a week, do you go to 7Eleven to steal it?

ZIGS
03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
If they don't sell soap in Walmart for a week, do you go to 7Eleven to steal it?

That's totally the same thing