PDA

View Full Version : SOW website

Tree_UK
01-28-2009, 11:11 PM
The promised website looks to be heading the same way has the game itself, i.e sometime never. Having done some research into domain names i found that Stormofwar.com (this currently takes you to Ubi) was first registered by Ubisoft in 2005, it is due to expire soon and if no one renews it I might buy it myself just has a keepsake. :grin::grin::grin:

details:
Domain Name: STORMOFWAR.COM
Registrar: GANDI SAS
Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net
Name Server: NIC1.UBISOFT.COM
Name Server: NIC2.UBISOFT.COM
Updated Date: 27-nov-2008
Creation Date: 19-dec-2005
Expiration Date: 19-dec-2009

nearmiss
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Updated Date: 27-nov-2008
Creation Date: 19-dec-2005
Expiration Date: 19-dec-2009

You need to re-read what you posted.

The expiration date is almost a year away

Tree_UK
01-29-2009, 12:28 AM
lol, it is soon compared to when it was first registerd. If the sim is released in late 2009 assuming there are no problems (Olegs words not mine) then the website will be expired at about the same time. Forward planning eh!

Skarphol
01-29-2009, 06:26 AM
This might explain why there is no website up yet.
A few weeks before x-mas Oleg said he hoped that the sites for SOW:BOB would be open around the end of december. It is not often that something as uncomplicated as putting a page up takes another 7 weeks when it was expected to be only 3 weeks away.

Ubisoft has the domain "stormofwar.com". And as you have been finding out: It seems like Ubisoft has very little to do with this game.

Thus Oleg might have a problem with getting the site up and running. It might be that Ubisoft is just sitting and trying to get some benefits in order to give up the domain.

Just a thought.

Skarphol

Foo'bar
01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Where did we read about SoW forum/website will be on stormofwar.com?

What's wrong with registering a domain name when starting the game development instead of waiting until all important names have been registered to other people?

Feathered_IV
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Storm of War is actually a very silly name for a flight simulation series anyway.
Hopefully it will be changed to something less blandeloquent before release.

SPUDLEY1977
01-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Feather, I think we have the makings of a NEW TITLE CONTEST that we we can amuse ourselves with during the next 12 months while we wait for announcement of a finished product to be released some time after that.

Here's a thought:

"Vaporware turned Hopeware turned BloodSweatandTearsWare turned Flyware - We luv Oleg"

Kinda catchy? OK I know it is not clickable but just click your mouse and see what it does.:)

JG52Uther
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
You have been here long enough now to realise that when they say 'end of December' they really mean 'July if you're lucky'.

proton45
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Feather, I think we have the makings of a NEW TITLE CONTEST that we we can amuse ourselves with during the next 12 months while we wait for announcement of a finished product to be released some time after that.

Here's a thought:

"Vaporware turned Hopeware turned BloodSweatandTearsWare turned Flyware - We luv Oleg"

Kinda catchy? OK I know it is not clickable but just click your mouse and see what it does.:)

If I remember correctly Oleg said long ago (a couple of years ago at least) that he was looking for name suggestions...but the whole thing kinda when nowhere (lol). It was around the time that he was asking about some artist who was posting stuff here, or at Ubi (about doing box art). Maybe you remember. :)

Tree_UK
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
You have been here long enough now to realise that when they say 'end of December' they really mean 'July if you're lucky'.

Yeah, its becoming so very tiresome now. Thank god we have the modders to keep us all interested.

Chivas
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, its becoming so very tiresome now. Thank god we have the modders to keep us all interested.

You think your tired. Just imagine how tired the SOW development crew is dealing with hours and pressures of delivering this hugely complex sim.

Tree_UK
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I would rather them say nothing than tell us that there will be a website in December for them not to deliver. We were told a year ago that there would be regular updates every couple of weeks or so, it is a bit tiresome. Still it should be one fantastic sim with all the years spent working on it.

proton45
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
I would rather them say nothing than tell us that there will be a website in December for them not to deliver. We were told a year ago that there would be regular updates every couple of weeks or so, it is a bit tiresome. Still it should be one fantastic sim with all the years spent working on it.

LOL...I've been here long enough to take everything with a "dose of salt" (or is it "grain of salt"? ...anyway), even projection dates.

Chivas
02-03-2009, 02:26 AM

He never said there "will be" a website by the end of December. He said "He hoped" there will be. Sh*te happens. Hopefully developments will procede and fall into place for an end of the year release with a comprehensive website and updates atleast by this summer. Unfortunately I think I'm losing my desire too fly combat flight sims. Maybe ROF or SOW will rekindle the excitement. I bought OFF3, it had some good qualities, but left me with little desire to fly it much.

Skoshi Tiger
02-03-2009, 05:23 AM
He never said there "will be" a website by the end of December. He said "He hoped" there will be. Sh*te happens. Hopefully developments will procede and fall into place for an end of the year release with a comprehensive website and updates atleast by this summer. Unfortunately I think I'm losing my desire too fly combat flight sims. Maybe ROF or SOW will rekindle the excitement. I bought OFF3, it had some good qualities, but left me with little desire to fly it much.

Chivas, it will be a sad time for all if you decide to stop posting on this forum! But Luckly, with the prospect of an end of year release, there's plenty of time for interest (addiction?) to wain and then come back to the surface with a vengance! ;)

All the best!

Bobb4
02-03-2009, 09:27 AM
I bought OFF3, it had some good qualities, but left me with little desire to fly it much.

I know this is off topic, but I am curious, OFF3 - is it bad or just a much of the sameness? The difference between OFF3 and OFF2 is it worth it?
I was considering getting it but it has a hefty price tag for something that is an add-on to a four year old game.

vanderstok
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
There is one thing I always hated about MS flightsim and combatsim: When you quickly move your head to view around you, the game engine couldn't keep up with the graphics, ie filling in the tiles. Great immersion killer for me. I checked their preview movies and behold:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l304/vanderstok/misc/P3_Preview_Movie_10wmv_000029000.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l304/vanderstok/misc/P3_Preview_Movie_10wmv_000039640.jpg

No thank you! I'll wait for Rise of Flight instead....

Feathered_IV
02-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks Vanderstok, you just saved me a heap of money! ;)

Pike
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Dear Feathered IV,
Just a point in question here. Regarding the graphics on CFS3-OFF3 I've noticed that it is really a question of how fast your Graphics card is. I recently upgraded both processor (duo) and card (8800gtx) and it is now almost not noticable, but still there slightly. I purchased OFF phase 3 and I find it exceptionally good......especially the AI - it really is a challenge and hard work. The makers have really worked hard on it.
Admittedly I personally am not strapped for cash so I will be getting RoF, SOW BoB and even Black Shark plus another upgrade as well, but if one has to watch the pennies it is not so easy.
I'm sure that RoF will deliver all it promises but at the same time BH&H is not far behind in my opinion and the makers should be encouraged to continue.
Best regards,
Pike.

Insuber
02-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Dear Feathered IV,
Just a point in question here. Regarding the graphics on CFS3-OFF3 I've noticed that it is really a question of how fast your Graphics card is. I recently upgraded both processor (duo) and card (8800gtx) and it is now almost not noticable, but still there slightly. I purchased OFF phase 3 and I find it exceptionally good......especially the AI - it really is a challenge and hard work. The makers have really worked hard on it.
Admittedly I personally am not strapped for cash so I will be getting RoF, SOW BoB and even Black Shark plus another upgrade as well, but if one has to watch the pennies it is not so easy.
I'm sure that RoF will deliver all it promises but at the same time BH&H is not far behind in my opinion and the makers should be encouraged to continue.
Best regards,
Pike.

Could someone kindly explain all those acronyms ? OFF ??? BH&H ???

Thank you !
Insuber

Bobb4
02-05-2009, 05:48 AM
OFF 3 BH&H = Over Flander Field - Beyond Heaven and Hell a WW1 sim using the Microsoft Combat Simulater 3 engine. It was released as an free add-on in Phaze 1 and then phaze2.
Phaze 3 is the latest incarnation which costs $50 plus shipping. As it is far more expensive than the regular game, I was just asking someone who has it what it was like.
Video's and screenshots never tell the whole story "Chivas" has a copy and indicated it did not keep him interested, I was just wondering why?