PDA

View Full Version : Performance issue with ATI X1950Pro AGP?

cliftonlcyde
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I have a 3.2 GHZ P4 with 3GIG RAM and an ATI X1950Pro 512mb video card. I upgraded the video card to the x1950pro from a 7600GS, that seemed to play the game much better than the "better" x1950pro.

When I had the 7600GS the game ran perfectly, no stutters or anything. Now I get really bad framerates (changing settings didn't help much) with the x1950pro.

Has anyone else experience lag, or framerate issues with the x1950pro?

Thanks...

Kornbeef
01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I experience the same issues except mine build up until it crashes, not to the desktop, windows just shuts down.

The card start getting noisier and noisier as well.

ati 1950x, Windows Vista 32bit, 2 gig mem, 2 dual core 2.66 ghz Xeons.

The game seems great, but I can only play about 15 minutes at a time.

fld88
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
My game was running perfectly on my 1950pro with older catalyst drivers. The game was crashing infrequently and I thought I would try upgrading to the latest catalyst driver to see if that would fix it. It was much worse. I was seeing spikes shooting out from many objects and enemies and objects on the screen where flashing all over the place, etc. I had lots of trouble trying to undo the driver and I eventually grabbed the 7.12 driver (Dec08) from the ATI website and it helped a lot though I still see a few incidents of textures "redrawing themselves" over and over on the map.

nievkNYC
02-17-2009, 10:39 PM
I have the same problem Radeon x1950 Pro. Really sucks as it freezes the whole PC. MY monitor even turns off when it stops getting a video signal!
I have to hard reset to recover each time.

Started happening only after a couple days of play and then more frequently. I upgraded the catalyst drivers from 8.12 to 9.1 but no joy.

Might try reverting to previous poster's version.
Others mention slowdown as time goes on, I noticed that too. Is there if there is some kind of memory degradation as you get further into game?

I bought it form the Atari site, then upgraded from 1.6b7 to 1.6.5.
Great game, wish I could play it for more than a few minutes.

nievkNYC
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
I really would like to play this game but I get no further than 5 mins before my screen goes black and I'm forced to hard reset.

The window's App event log shows two events that it attributes to kb.exe
Basically the game stops the Windows Desktop Manger from restarting once it crashes.
First event is
"A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (kb.exe)"

Second event is:
"The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application"

Then there's what looks like a crash event"
Fault bucket 477082114, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_32
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: kb.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 6.0.6001.2.1.0
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Bought the online Atari version, updated to 1.6.5
Vista Premium, all the latest patches
Radeon 1950 drivers 9.1
updated November DirectX
Quad 6600 , 3GB RAM
I even tried setting the process affinity to 1 CPU, no luck.
I sent the dxdiag.txt to support and didn't even get an auto-response.

UPDATE: I since heard from Support and am going through a series of a suggestions.

nievkNYC
02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
So my card died, my PC wouldn't boot up.

Switched to the onboard graphic chipset and everything else was fine.

Ended up buying a Geforce 9800 GTX+.

and now I have graphic corruption!

when it rains it pours :-7

dapre
04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
same card on a P4 2.7. The game runs fine, but I sometimes get poor framerates when entering a new world, or some battles. Dont know if this is releated to the card or system memory (1 GB) alt-tab resets the problem, and the game run smootly until the next world.