PDA

View Full Version : King's Bounty Vs The Temple Of Elemental Evil

Metroplex
01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I got the game before I had ever played turn-based games or even discovered KB! and stopped playing it, as I didn't get it at the time, however having extensively played KB as all three characters and enjoying it, I want to give ToEE a try again.
For those that have fully played this game let me know what you think!:)

jake21
01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I got the game before I had ever played turn-based games or even discovered KB! and stopped playing it, as I didn't get it at the time, however having extensively played KB as all three characters and enjoying it, I want to give ToEE a try again.
For those that have fully played this game let me know what you think!:)

----
No relationship. Totally different. Can't even compare them. Enjoyed them both (but toee was very incomplete when I played. I hear fans have filled it out since then...)

Stepsongrapes
01-06-2009, 12:32 AM
----
No relationship. Totally different. Can't even compare them. Enjoyed them both (but toee was very incomplete when I played. I hear fans have filled it out since then...)

That is indeed an odd request.

It's like asking for a comparison of Civilization vs. Jagged Alliance. Sure, both are strategy games, but they're pretty different.

Whether you enjoyed KB or not really won't be an indication as to whether ToEE will be enjoyable.

If you do load up the ToEE again, go get all of the Circle of Eight patches: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1819

Gatts
01-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Even if in the core may seem these 2 games different - the base game experience may be similar, double so if the player did not play enough games of such genre, hence can't sort them in different buckets.

For me are all bicycles same, but bicycle expert would not ever understand my opinion, he does not have to anyway.

Both ToEE and KB tL are role play game, both have scenario based on long term story cut by many side quests, exciting battle system, plenty of spells and large variety of strategies in and outside battle.

After some time, if Metroplex will play more games of similar RPG genre, he will be able to understand the differences better, but what I see is a player who has revealed the beauty of RPG games in conjunction of very difficult rules (what could in normal cases discourage standard players), ToEE is D&D based, where the rules are quite complex, (that is why he probably did not finish the game his first time), but KB tL reveals complexity in very "easy to do" way - the level ups are quite intuitive, no hyper-complex skill trees, you get spells from scrolls, so you don't need to spend 4 hours reading all the spells from the tier you have to select from (from instance when you are sorcerer, the spells you choose will not change till the end of game and you have very few to be stored in your spellbook, even if you max your charisma)

When I first time played my first RPG Baldurs Gate I could not "sort" it as I had nothing to compare so my sorting result could not be different from Metroplex. (just different game titles would pop up, these years ago :) )

I would like to use this topic to point on a game that I personally align with KB tL, not of the same genre, but for the similar GREAT game experience and game taste I have playing it: Warlords Battlecry III , it may be RTS RPG, and level ups may be more boring than any known level ups in game history, but the variety of strategy combination is enormous as in number so in efficiency and also in game fun... these days I swayed from KB to WB and back... :)

But to not be much off-topic: the real difference in my personal opinion between ToEE and KB tL for me is: I played ToEE twice, and the second time it was quite boring (as I knew all quests and the battle system did not provide me with enough fun/variety) ... KB tL is still played by me - now it would be for more than 50th time :) and still having fun

Metroplex
01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
No way Gatts, have you really played KB start to finish 50 times?!!!:grin:

Gatts
01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
No way Gatts, have you really played KB start to finish 50 times?!!!:grin:

Well... sometimes I help myself with cheats (just fly over the map, to fight most battles, gather most spells/ artefacts, where I was very interested how the random generator works... then the final battle is just one of many... ) and well... it may not be 50... but surely more than 30... just this weekend I started and ended another play and started again another...

Sadly you can't "log" in as specific player... (some games provide you with profiles, and save all your efforts, like battles fought, games played, games lots/finished, battles lost/won... ) Or have a hybrid - like in Warlords Battlecry III, whre you create a hero and you play for him in any random map or campaign... the games saves statistics like, spells cast, enemies killed, battles won, enemy heroes killed etc... and it rates you based on such statistics... so more you play, higher score you have... KB motivates you to "RUN" trough the game... as time is main score motivator... not to mention that such hero has unlimited level cap... it feels fine not to have limits... games with caps are double worth when cap removers are on internet to be downloaded (baldurs gate, arcanum...even there is a mod for KB I believe)