PDA

View Full Version : Fighting undead

asprah
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Ok I am a still a bit newbie so I apologize if this was answered before- I coudnĀ“t find it.
My question is this: what is the most effective ways of fighting undead without taking losses? I know UD are weak versus holy dmg but I really do not have any holy dmg spells besides heal in my spell book.
I am warr lvl 7, got 2 spirits of rage active atm, got lvl 1 order and distortion skill and the rest is invested in might skills of course. Units I am using mostly are guardians, ancient bears, archmages, priests and bowmen (snakes are out :D).
My point is that I almost have no losses in any other fights but I just can not fight the undead without losing some- am I doing something wrong?

My other question is about incorporating undead in my army. Does it worth to take Dark commander skill since I would like my army to consist of undead mostly at some point? Or is it worth to mix armies no matter of moral loss? I would really like to know this before I invest points in that skill because I would not want to start all over again just because I screwed up with my choice of skills.
Ty!

Holywhippet
01-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Personally I wouldn't bother much with the undead. There are much better troops amongst the living.

Priests are good, but inquisitors are better. There are generally some for sale in the magic academy (not the one in the starting area, the one in the next area where the abandoned castle is).

Dump the archmages, I don't think they do enough damage for their cost. Their special skills aren't that great either.

Unicorns are very good against undead, but odds are you can't get them yet.

You might be able to access alchemists though. They are a fairly strong troop - you can get some from the alchemist in the swamp region.

Keep in mind that bowmen do less damage against skeletons, shoot at them only if you have nothing else to shoot at.

Do you have the chest of rage yet? If so, feed the lizard guy poisonous things like snakes/spiders until he works for you. Use him in combat until he learns the armour spell - this is very useful for keeping a troop alive.

Gatts
01-07-2009, 07:21 AM
1. leave some battles unfought - for instance in Marshan Swamps is a necroboy in a castle with huge undead army - it is not good to attack him on level 7, not if you consider yourself a "newbie" and double not if you like to have zero loss policy intact (I would call it a great luck to win this batttle on level 7, to have no loses would be than a miracle - statistically not possible)

Also look for guides of some players on this forum who started threads about "zero loss strategies" - you can find some, not few.

Apart of previous suggestion, I would advise following strategy:
get one strong unit (bears, griffins, or even guardsman, swordsman, who have nice armor bonus) + SHIELD from archmages and place them in front to get the undead in shooting range of your priests/inquisitors and shoot em up!
Use some of the "cheat"strategies from this forum to get resurrect all loses. Whan you have stoneskin (nearly all undead deliver physical damage) you are sorted, your TANK unit will lose minimum units, easy to regain by inquisitor resurrection, also undead shooters will will go for your tank mostly, as they have huge range penalty... do not wonder if they shoot your priests or inquisitors - they all fear magic damage of your shooters -> you could cheat them by getting fire dealing unit - like fire dragonflies - nearly all undead have fire weakness - but these fire dragonflies may die very fast... so resurrection would be a bugger.