PDA

View Full Version : Wish: sane DRM

Csimbi
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi there,
I sure hope this thread does not turn into anything nasty, but I have to say that I had a lot of trouble getting this game running.
Additionally to the technical difficulties (installation, startup), I was forced to uninstall several legitimate applications (that I use on a daily basis). This means that I had to install/uninstall these periodically when I wanted to play the game. Needless to say that this is very disturbing, so my wish for the expansion would be a sane DRM mechanism. I don't care what that is, as long as I can play the game without having to uninstall any of the applications on my PC and it does not require an internet connection (simply put: I do not have one at home, where I intend to play).
There, I said my piece, now I keep my fingers crossed hoping that you will listen.

PS: Ah, one more thing. I would not want to pay for a game that I already have, so I hope the expansion will also be available separately from the main game as well.

I just began playing this game (got it for Christmas and I did not have much time to play during the holidays), but it seems to be a great game (so far). KBTL beast the hell out of HMM5 on my scale in terms of - well, every aspect, really. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Ryastar
12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Weird! I didn't have ANY problems when i installed it, and nor do i need an internet connection to play or anything like that (which, agreed, is my biggest problem with things like steam. I was given Portal for my b-day, back in June, and i beat it once and enjoyed it, but after my hard drive got fried (due to some unexplained reason, almost certainly unconnected with portal or kb), Portal is one game that i have chosen not to re-install, cause i just don't like steam). I do, however, doubt that your problem is connected with DRM, though i would have to know where you got it (yes, i know it was a gift, but where whoever got you the game bought it (eg. online, at a game store, from some strange guy in an alleyway etc.))

Csimbi
12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I had problems getting it installed (and play).
You are right about the internet connection there - it is not required at the moment, but it seems to be a trend nowadays - and if such protection measure was added in the expansion, I would not be able to play it.
I trust my friend, though I did not get the receipt of the game. It's the collector's edition (t-shirt, bonus material and the whole nine yards). I guess those shady guys in the alleyway do not go into the trouble of printing t-shirts, do they?
But, my request is for the expansion, not to the current version (anymore).

***Edit:
Got the info. The game is from this store:
http://www.verkkokauppa.com

sanjak
01-09-2009, 03:59 AM
I haven't come across any problem with KB yet. My specs are even Pentium IV 2.4, 1GB Ram, 512mb ATI x1650. The only game that drives me crazy and forces me to uninstall some certain applications, messing with the PagePoolSize and systems, is Half Life2 (frankly, everything from the Orange Box). And still encounter problems no matter how I follow any instruction to fiddle with my PC.

You are right, KB is a great game. I'm looking for some older series, in case I can find them.

bman654
01-13-2009, 03:08 AM
DRM quite often requires uninstallation of any other software it sees on your system that it even remotely thinks might be used to bypass the DRM. This includes things like certain virtual drive software or burning software. It also includes innocuous things like "process explorer". Many people do not use these things and thus come and say that DRM hasn't caused them any problems. But others do use this stuff for legit reasons and the game will say something cryptic about a security violation detected and won't run until you remove the software it has detected.

It is a very poor position to put the legit gamers in and is indeed caused by the DRM blacklisting certain software. If you are unaffected be very happy. If you are affected...well...good luck.

bobthebuilder
01-13-2009, 06:19 AM
I agree. The part that gets to me the most is that us customers have to deal with this DRM interfering with our other programs, whereas pirates completely get around it anyways. Traditional DRM stops you from burning a CD and using it to run the game, so why bother with all this new nonsense?