PDA

View Full Version : Crash to Desk Top

JoeDeath8601
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying, great game, I am enjoying it immensely. About 1 month ago I started experiencing crashes to desk top. These crashes occur during the battle phase of game play, usually during a lengthy battle. I have installed the game on a different machine to see if it as a problem with my main computer but I have experienced the same results.

The odd thing is the game worked fine for the first couple of months (approx 60 hours game play). My main computer uses vista (when it crashes to desk top it gives me a data exception error). My spare comp uses win XP. I have tried multiple re-installs and various patches and drivers.

The only thing I can figure is that both machines use NVIDIA 8800’s. Is any one else experiencing this problem and more importantly dose any one have a work around/solution. I really want to finish the game (since I have came this far) so any help would be appreciated.

stpkg
12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Are you using Google Chrome.
If so, read below.
You may check the event viewer and see if the Googleupdate.exe is running from background. Since I am not Online all the time, the error is listed every hour.
After about 6 hours, some of my games crash to desktop or even rebooting at the same minute that this program is supposed to run.
This program run itself silently and tried to get update without permission every hour.
I tried to disable it permanently but not success. Or unless I uninstall all Google stuffs.
What I am doing right now is to shell back to windows after playing sometime and end this program from the task manager.

Demarticus
12-30-2008, 05:09 AM
I was having a similar problem, and even disabled DEP on my vista machine. Once I read your post, though, I thought to myself, "Well I have an 8800 as well."

I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, and it seems to have solved my problem.

shamino
12-31-2008, 05:52 PM
also reinstalling the latest directx can help.

also make sure you have the latest graphic drivers.

or make sure you dont have a memory leak.

Grubber
01-08-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm also experiencing this and I also have a GeForce 8800 GTX. I'm running on Vista 64-bit with the latest drivers. Running DirectX 10, of course. My crashes aren't as frequent, though. I get one after maybe an hour or two of playing. At one point in the big battle in the graveyard (first swamp), I tried several times to complete the castle battle with the renegade kid and it would crash everytime. At one point I got a "pure virtual call" error. I sometimes get exception errors. Sometimes it just hangs with the stutter sound.

I'm pretty sure these constant crashes were the cause of my hard drive corruption, since I still can't stop playing this game. It is a wonderful game, just not real stable on my system. I may have to give it up, if we can't get this fixed. :(

FWIW, I thought about disabling DEP (data execution protection) in the BIOS, but didn't. Some of the errors sound like that. Odd that there seems to be an 8800 central theme here. The last game I had that problem with was Gothic III. It also didn't like the 8800 video cards.

Gatts
01-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Also check all you LOGs (Event Log, Error Log, Service Log, Application Log etc.) If windows ends any program w/o user request, it should store the reason... normally (but normally should programms not end by themselves... right?)