PDA

View Full Version : Playing on an old, slow system.

OldGamer
12-04-2008, 06:07 PM
This isn't a problem, but an unexpected success! I installed KB:L on my old Sony VAIO Laptop -- a Pentium M 1.7GHz with 1GB of RAM and ATI Mobility Radion 9700 video. (That's only 64MB of dedicated video RAM.) So, the laptop is well under the minimum requirements of the game.

And, it runs great! :) My load times are a little sluggish, and if I get crazy rotating the world around, the video lags -- but the game plays beautifully.

My question is -- I've only played my Mage to level 10, so I'm still early in the game. So far, no crashes or issues. Does anybody think later parts of the game might swamp my system? I'd hate to get to the end of the story and crash!

Gatts
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
The only crash / crashes you should expect are game version related, not HW - my girlfriend plays the game on Destop but even weaker HW... it works... is slow and gets slower when she plays for longer time (as the old system can't access the Win XP virtual memory so fast - old HDD, old MEM, old CPU... old everything) but she was able to finish it...

Here are the game version related crashes [16b7 - all, 164 some, 165 none]
1.) Fighting Turtle -> two dialouges may open - game freezes -> just save after you will get out from the dwarven dirigible - F5...done. If this happens, press F8 and approach the Orc more carefully

2.) Marying the priate girl : Mirabelle -> after you do all she asks - game may crush - solution is patch 1.6.5 or above or MOD (to be found on this forum)

3.) Neoka can't have children ... this is no crush - but when I started to mention bugs... :( sorry (solution again: patch it to 1.6.5 or above)

TemjinGold
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Hmm... that's got me curious. I have a fairly decent laptop (Core 2, 2 gigs ram, etc.) but it has integrated graphics (Intel GMA3100.) Do you guys think it'd be able to run this? If so, I'll get another copy to load onto it for business trips and the like...

Nike-it
12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Hmm... that's got me curious. I have a fairly decent laptop (Core 2, 2 gigs ram, etc.) but it has integrated graphics (Intel GMA3100.) Do you guys think it'd be able to run this? If so, I'll get another copy to load onto it for business trips and the like...

It may run on low settings, but not guaranteed. Try the demo on your laptop first.

Gatts
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
well - the integrated video card could be an issue, but I run the game on integrated video card laptop as well - but the rest is better (Dell Latitude D620 - integrated video) and the game works perfectly (probably due the PRC is quite strong)... but well - be optimistic :) I would vote it will work for ya.

TemjinGold
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Okay, thanks!

CKaz
02-20-2009, 02:21 PM
My underpowered PC plays it as well, though its a bit sluggish - I'll see if I can turn some things off to give it a bit more of a boost. I was just happily surprised I could take a look at it while I wait for the 'beefy' PC.

If I can get it to run well-enough tho, maybe I wont move it over - not a fan of securom type 'protection' schemes

Only real issue is firing ranged combat, the arrow cursor is tough to get/seems to disappear

aghiuta
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
It works with integrated graphic cards (even old ones like mine) with one little trick:
Use 3DAnalyze to trick the game so that it believes you have hardware TnL (I don't, but can still play) and if you put the graphic settings to the minimum you can play decently. I have a 945G integrated chip with no shaders and no TnL and it still works.