PDA

View Full Version : My graphics card gets hot when playing KB!

Metroplex
12-03-2008, 03:15 AM
This isn't a problem per se, as I can still play the game comfortably and at all settings maxed, I have a 3.0Ghz dual core processor, 120G of space, 2G of RAM and a 8600GT 500MB Nvidia card, yet this is the only game (and Crysis on med) that makes my graphics card whine and spin like there is no tomorrow! It gets hot aswell after a short time of playing KB, all my other games play fine and the card is as quiet as a when underload, my drive is defragged daily using Auslogics disk defrag but it still makes a lost of noise, do you experience this problem too? Write!:confused:

Gatts
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Well - I have a story for this thread, I hope it will help a little bit:

1.) From the time I started playing KB tL my video was flickering / blinking randomly... I ingored that, hoping it is somehow as designed (as my PC is old *hit)

2.) PC started to SHUTDOWN totally... well... try to ingore this :) I failed

3.) I started ATI utility - and right after reboot it had 90 Degree Celsius... WTF? I said

4.) I reinstalled KB tL thinking it is this game issue - the same... random shutdown.

5.) I stopped dreaming it will be solved by itself... and threw my good old Dungeon & Dragons 20 "cube" My basic attack in PC science is +3 and I used blessed screwdriver of +5, my PC has Rustyness DEF of + 15... I rolled 9... 9+3+5 = 17... HIT! ... this means, instead of just kicking my PC in chassis, I took my screwslayer screwdriver and opened the damn PC ... sad it was no critical... screws would fly over my room

6.) the hot fire innards of my slaught PC burned my paladin fine fingers, but I resisted fire by my Fortitute +20... LUCKY!

7.) The evil spell of " criss-crossed crazy cable mayhem" was dispelled by my "tear them off" counter-spell... and 2 antimagick words like "WTF!" or "WTF?" ...

8) My ancient petriefyed Video Card resisted strongly my attempts of "levitation from motherboard" spells, so I relyed on my Warrior skill and used berserk attack of old-scool style " I'll tear you off even if my mobo should be broken... AAAAARGHHH!!!"

9) My "argh!" from 8.) worked perfectly and my old video card gone scared - losing it's petrify bonus, landing in my curious hands, fearing my research full view of my crazy eyes, knowing that the chance of surviving my experiments is below 20%

10) Ignoring the plea of "save the grafic card" organization, and throwing good-ol fireballs on all gra-ca lowers under my window, I could really start to focus on my GRA CA research... buahahahaha

11) HOLY *HIT! Soooo many screws and so few screwdrivers... doubleyoute-ef - how small are these screws - ... double doubleyoute-ef - how solid are the screwed, these damn screws... like if they would be screwed hard... pure little screw

12) set of pliers and screwdrivers made all 8 screws lose at voila -> now I can see under the plastic beutifull "deckel" , with nice ATI robot girl on it...
GOSH! tons of dead people ("it is said that when people die - they turn into dust... I fear someone just died in my grafic card cooler")... Time for my good old toothbrush I found in Mordor, I call it Sting... and I call the spells of haeven and hell - REMOVE DA DUST!

13) all back, just without 2 tons of dust -> now my video card temp is 40 celsius, when playing KG tL 80~90 Celsius (as I maxed all video settings - greedy me) BUT: No shutdown, no video distortion/ no flickering... PC runs as designed... (Just by clearing my 3 years old rascal graca)

videogames10
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
do you experience this problem too? Write!:confused:

As you said, it's not really a problem unless your PC shuts down on you; but yes, relatively speaking, my card's (9800GTX) fan runs at a higher RPM while playing King's Bounty. Of course, I have the graphics maxed out, so the higher RPM is to be expected. Crysis, Medal of Honor Airbourne, Oblivion and Fallout 3 also increase the GPU fan RPM; although, Oblivion and Fallout 3 to a lesser extent.

It wouldn't hurt to periodically pull your video card and blow it out with an air compressor. Same with the CPU heatsink and fan, case fans, power supply, Northbridge/Southbridge heatsinks and the inside of your case. Most people know this, but forget to do it.

taltamir
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
This isn't a problem per se, as I can still play the game comfortably and at all settings maxed, I have a 3.0Ghz dual core processor, 120G of space, 2G of RAM and a 8600GT 500MB Nvidia card, yet this is the only game (and Crysis on med) that makes my graphics card whine and spin like there is no tomorrow! It gets hot aswell after a short time of playing KB, all my other games play fine and the card is as quiet as a when underload, my drive is defragged daily using Auslogics disk defrag but it still makes a lost of noise, do you experience this problem too? Write!:confused:

1. Defragging has absolutely nothing to do with your video card.
2. Don't defrag, EVER. it does more harm then good unless you defrag a high volume file server.
3. Your video card has X shaders/texturizers/etc on it. The more intensive a game is, the more of those it uses at once. Kings bounty most likely uses all of them at once, meaning your card is at 100% use. That is NOT a problem unless your video card has an issue, like too small a fan, clogged with dust, or bad contact between the heat sink and the GPU. So clean it out, and check it out.

Landmarx
12-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I had the same problem. Thirty seconds in it would crash (screen goes black, computer freezes requiring hard restart). I can't stress enough the importance of CLEANING YOUR FANS AND HEATSINKS!!! This game heats up your card quickly. I did a thorough dusting and deep clean and the game runs flawlessly now at the highest resoulutions with all the options cranked. Even if this does not solve your specific problem, your PC probably needs it anyway.