PDA

View Full Version : Digital Download asking me for CD

Zadkiel
11-30-2008, 12:23 AM
SO I just bought this game online, downloaded all the files, installed it, ran the patch, and then went to play.

No disc inserted.
Please insert the CD/DVD.

Erm, what? I downloaded it....

Game won't run. How do I get my £40 back?

Zadkiel
11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
So, I uninstalled and reinstalled and didn't patch

And now when I launch the game my HDs whir for about 2 minutes with nothing appearing on the screen and then I get a box pop up saying 'Metaboli' and something about needing to be an administrator to run.

1) I am running from an admin account
2) And even if I wasn't, what kinda BS game requires admin rights?

Seriously getting annoyed here...

Lari
11-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Do you have a 64 bit OS?

gamerboots
11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
seriously , there are serious problems with the patch - uninstall - reinstall without the patch - then you'll be able to play providing that you have a graphics card that is extremely good. In 3 days of testing it on a computer with a 256 nividia graphics card configered to high performance for the program it hard booted the pc approximately 19 times and crashed straight to the desktop 3 times in 22 hours of game time. The game itself is not bug free and marred by constant crashes and freezing when loading simple objects - ofcourse this could be because the makers specified that it only needed a 128 ATI graphics card, when infact in its present buggy state it truly needs a 500meg graphics card because the texture controls in the options are obviously non-functional as they load highest quality textures regardless of the settings the user puts in (use the over-ride in your graphics card's interface) IF thats not bad enough , it comes with a $40 price tag and support for the product sucks. Now on to the securom - A word to power users beware - the securom in the digital copies makes you have all those undesireable resource eating and security threatning services that you disabled after you installed your system JUST to activate it - yip thats right - I had to turn on several less than desireable services just to get it to activate - the way things are non functional in this product leads a consumer to conclude that the game was released BEFORE it was actually even completed and the buyers are the ginnie pigs (testers) which is why it has eveything from non-functioning menu's to frequent hard pc boots. its like an egg with no yoke in it - sure its a good game concept , excellent idea but support is seriously lacking -
The latest patch doesn't work with the retail cd because of securom - constantly requesting the original cd to be in the drive [oh your a such a pirate put in the original disk ]
the more I think about it , the more I am convinced that the programming team is making the customers do the testing for them - but business is business I guess - and this is actually called operating cash (at the consumer's expspense ) I hear the company is planning to release "an expansion " - MY advice to them is DONT put on it that the requrirements are 4 times lower than what it really is and shove it out the door in an unfinished state with a super high price tag just to make a sale - DONT make the customers do all the testing - take the time to test your programs before they are released so that there arn't any bugs, and lastly - DONT count on getting another $40+ from me - I'll wait a couple years and buy it IF and WHEN all the bugs are worked out providing that its in a finished state and doesn't have DRM on it.

Zadkiel
11-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Do you have a 64 bit OS?

Yes, XP Pro x64

Zadkiel

Zadkiel
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
OH, and I am currently playing fine.

After I downloaded and installed a cracked version.

DRM to prevent piracy? Umm, no, among me and my friends the ONLY time we use pirated software is when we are forced to resort to it because of bullshit DRM breaking the retail version.

If I can get resolution of my issues (no answer either here or from Gamesplanet) then I'll happily go back to the legit version. But it's been a day now with no reply from either. Yay piracy.

When will software manufacturers get a clue?

The only DRM I've seen that works and works well is Steam.

Zadkiel.

Lari
11-30-2008, 04:37 PM
i had the same problem , and i have too the x64, so the problem must be that patched "no cd" doesn't work on x64. I always wonder, how is it possible that hackers who don't actually have access to source code, make a better work in removing the no-cd protection, than programmers that have access to it. It's AMAZING :D

Metroplex
11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
OH, and I am currently playing fine.

After I downloaded and installed a cracked version.

DRM to prevent piracy? Umm, no, among me and my friends the ONLY time we use pirated software is when we are forced to resort to it because of bullshit DRM breaking the retail version.

If I can get resolution of my issues (no answer either here or from Gamesplanet) then I'll happily go back to the legit version. But it's been a day now with no reply from either. Yay piracy.

When will software manufacturers get a clue?

The only DRM I've seen that works and works well is Steam.

Zadkiel.

"The end justifies the means." Machiavelli.

Amefuri
11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem. Purchased and downloaded the game tonight, ran it once to have a look, realised that there was a patch which I then downloaded and ran - only to now be told I need to insert the CD/DVD...

Uh... what?

I figure I could go back and uninstall/reinstall - but why the heck are you offering a patch that creates a bigger problem than the ones it fixes? Who cares if the Necromancy skill has been fixed if I can no longer get into the game?

Why is it that those of us who do the right thing have to put up with rubbish like this while others just download pirate copies and play away?

Amefuri

stpkg
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4961&page=3

gamerboots
12-01-2008, 05:05 AM
"the ONLY time we use pirated software is when we are forced to resort to it because of bullshit DRM breaking the retail version"

this isn't piracy - In my opinion its perfectly fine when the company takes your hard earned $ and charges you an arm and 2 legs for software that has drm on it that prevents it from working - In fact, this isn't piracy at all - its justice for all the time and money you've already invested. what really gets me is that someone who didn't even write the program can crack it and make it work perfectly fine but the programmers cant even release a patch that makes it work at all - I'm not optimistic about a patch real soon as I noted below - support for this product sucks.

Zadkiel
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, it was completely ignored on here.

And after 3-4 days the digital distribution co finally responded to my request for help by completely ignoring my pleas and just refunding me for the game.

So I guess I'll be uninstalling. shame, looked like it could have been a good game.