PDA

View Full Version : Beat the game on impossible with no losses, mage...

Harush
11-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Just finished beating KB on impossible with a mage. Didn't find a resurrect scroll until the demon lands.

I did do the sneak around the guards exploit to get horsemen early. And I checked all the areas around that I could reach without fighting anything to make sure there were enough inquisitors. Other than that it was pretty straightforward.

The key as a mage is to raise your INT as high as possible and to get the trait Higher Intelligence as soon as you can. Use archmages, inquisitors, priests, and bowmen and don't let anything get close to you. Get scouting and don't fight groups with lots of ranged enemies.

Once you hit level 7 or so, make sure you have stoneskin and go after the turtle. Park horsemen right in front of him and keep him shielded with your archmages and stoneskined. Heal the horsemen yourself and with priests and whittle him down.

Then you have access to the Freedom Isles, where you can buy a boat and grab a ton of resources without fighting. Since you aren't ever losing any troops, you have a ton of cash. Get the $100k together and pay off Lucky Jim. Then the King opens up the mines. From there on, you can sneak through most of the rest of the game, if you're careful. I found resurrect in the demon lands when I was only level 9 or so, I just snuck past everything and looted everything I could. Once you have resurrect, hypnosis, sacrifice, magic spring, and gift, everything is easy. You just need to learn the tactics to keep your guys alive. Lots of expendable bonus troops help a lot, so royal thorns and demons and dryads are all very handy. Basically, any fight that you can win at all, you can win losing zero troops. It just takes time.

As far as rage spirits, glot's armor, underground spikes, rage drain, ice orb, and especially chargers come in handy. I always tried to choose the option that shortened the recast time or lowered the casting cost, every time they leveled.

Keneth
11-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Playing a mage on any difficulty is quite easy, congrats on your achievement but it's not that great a feat tbh. :P

Harush
11-27-2008, 01:42 AM
I guess the real point was not beating it as a mage, per se, but beating it on impossible without losing a single troop...

Keneth
11-27-2008, 02:42 AM
And my point wasn't that you didn't do it, just that you did it as a mage, hence it's just a moderate achievement. Next stop: Warrior! :mrgreen:

Amamake
11-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Congrats.

Zhuangzi
11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Great achievement - well done. I've played this game through four times and I didn't get close to zero losses, although I probably could using the tactics that several people on this forum have described.

Zero losses seems fairly easy (though tedious) with Resurrection. Without it, I am impressed. :cool:

Handel
11-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Great achievement - well done. I've played this game through four times and I didn't get close to zero losses, although I probably could using the tactics that several people on this forum have described.

Zero losses seems fairly easy (though tedious) with Resurrection. Without it, I am impressed. :cool:

Actually what he said he was avoiding the battles besides the extremely easy one untill he sneaked to where he could find a res scroll.

travelingoz
11-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Well done!

I am trying to do warrior on impossible with no losses. Up to the islands and going ok so far. I think if you have inquisitors and can find gift scroll early, it's not too bad....

I'll post again after i get through the isles.

YENKO
11-28-2008, 10:14 PM
In this game, i am still in my diapers (lvl 9 mage). So, thank you Harush for the tips. I don't have Resurrection nor Sacrifice yet, and i hate losing troops, so i might try that 'sneaky' approach too :D

Harush
11-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I'm doing warrior on impossible no losses too. Not bad so far, I've fought almost nothing and am level 12. Snuck to get the horsemen for the turtle, got the 100k and paid Lucky James, and snuck through all the dwarven lands, but the demon gate has 2 armies this time, so I can't get in there. No sacrifice, no resurrection yet, this will be interesting...

MajorS
11-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Ah come on :D. I had a hero and a Demoness (very fast!) stack there once and i made it through.

Harush
12-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok, finished the impossible warrior game with no losses. 1517 final score, level 29. Took 18 days. It actually went easier than mage from about the halfway point, mostly because I had a better grip on the tactics this time around.