PDA

View Full Version : Most Annoying Hero in the Game

Keneth
11-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Ok, so I came across this hero who has so far proven to be extremely annoying and impossible to beat without losses for me, I came close once but then acid rain stabbed me in the back by moving from one side of the map to the other, not giving me enough mana and killing the last enemy troop.

I could use some advice on beating this asshole, here are some facts:
- I'm a warrior, hence only 1 spell per turn and 80 mana
- he will cast lvl2 geyser on every turn (for a lot of turns)
- there are too many troops to kill on the first turn
- all the troops are lvl5 and/or immune to mind-affecting effects

EDIT: I settled for 4 losses, could probably have done 0 if I dragged the fight on for a few more rounds but I killed the troop in my impatience. I'd still like to hear how the others would go about doing this.

KingNothing
11-25-2008, 04:59 PM
don't go automatic

move the troop u want to
and cast spell u want :P

Keneth
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
What kind of advice is that? I wouldn't even put it on automatic if the troop was (weak). :???:

YENKO
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
What kind of advice is that? I wouldn't even put it on automatic if the troop was (weak). :???:

Hehe, your statement actually made me laugh. Not for what YOU said, but it made me remember my buddy, long-time HOMM-series addict who tried KB:L for a couple hours, and erased it from his HD for good, claiming that it sucks, because the AUTO BATTLE sucks. Only then i realized (he admitted) that he, in his whole HOMM gaming career heavily relied on auto-resolve for battles. Esentially, he was playing HOMM games in a sort of 'strategical-map only' fashion. No wonder KB:L 'sucks' for him. Moreover, he was royally annoying because there is only ONE hero, and what are all those friggin boring battles everywhere? :)

I believe a lot of people still play like that, even KB:L, by not playing the tactical part and rely on auto-resolve.

So, that 'weird' answer above was not all that 'weird' to me :) Been there, heard that :P

As for me, i am fully enjoying the tactical battles, the more, the merrier. My goal is NOT to reach the end of the game, my goal is to have fun getting there :)

Keneth
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Well there have been occasions where I put the battle to autocombat and went to the toilet or answered the phone, then came back and cleaned up the mess AI made or when I was rushing through battles to test mods. Other than that though, I don't see why anyone would want to turn autocombat on, battle is a significant part of KB, without it you'd just be running around the world picking stuff up off the ground. :mrgreen:

ywhtptgt
11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok, so I came across this hero who has so far proven to be extremely annoying and impossible to beat without losses for me, I came close once but then acid rain stabbed me in the back by moving from one side of the map to the other, not giving me enough mana and killing the last enemy troop.

I could use some advice on beating this asshole, here are some facts:
- I'm a warrior, hence only 1 spell per turn and 80 mana
- he will cast lvl2 geyser on every turn (for a lot of turns)
- there are too many troops to kill on the first turn
- all the troops are lvl5 and/or immune to mind-affecting effects

EDIT: I settled for 4 losses, could probably have done 0 if I dragged the fight on for a few more rounds but I killed the troop in my impatience. I'd still like to hear how the others would go about doing this.

It depends on what troops and spells you have. Unless you are a mage, it is very unlikely that you can annihilate a lategame enemy hero within the first two rounds so Resurrection or Sacrifice + Hypnosis is almost a must.

My recommendation for you is to head to the nearest castles and dump all your troops there except for one big stack of Horsemen. Then for the battle, put the Horsemen in a corner with Well of Magic + occasional buffs and Resurrect. If the enemy has Black Dragons, use Gizmo + Rage Drain chain. Otherwise, use Rage Drain + Soul Drain chain.

Keneth
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought hypnosis doesn't work on enemies immune to mind-affecting spells? And why exactly are horsemen good for this situation or any situation for that matter? I've had no good experiences with them, not as tanks, damage dealers, or backup units.

Calinda
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Try like this: on turn 1 use Glot's armor on some troop, on turn 2 use resurrection from your inquisitors on another troop, then time them back (to restore both their numbers and the resurrection spell). You may want to wait some of your troops, depending on if you want to allow him to cast second geyser, before disabling him. Try to kill his stacks with highest initiative and use Blind on what's left.
Hope you understand what I mean, if it doesnt work, provide us with more info like army compositions, etc.

Keneth
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Inquisitors are not available in my game, also he randomly uses other spells like lightning or sheep. Killing him in two rounds also seems next to impossible due to a large ammount of necromancers (I think it was a stack of some 200 or so) which take forever to kill even if I pound them with everything I had in my army at the time. I don't remember the exact composition, I think it was 2 stacks of emerald green dragons, 2 stacks of royal thorns, 1 stack of necromancers, and another stack of something, possibly demonesses but I'm not completely sure.

TemjinGold
11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Generally when I want to wipe an enemy that I can't do without heavy losses, I park my army in a base or two somewhere then temporarily load up on a "trash" army. Basically full of low level units that I would never use for my actual army. I then destroy the opponent without caring about losses. I basically view it as throwing money at the problem. :)

That's how I do most of the castle sieges and other big fights in my game earlier than I would otherwise be strong enough to without losing a lot of guys.

sector24
11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I remember that guy! One of the hardest fights in a no losses challenge. The thing is you can't stop him from casting geyser on you, so don't try. Just deal as much damage as possible as fast as possible, and then pin his last stack in the corner with summoned thorns and let him use up all his mana. Then you begin the arduous process of resurrecting your guys.

There's really nothing strategic about fights like that, it's just a grind. Unless you're adamant about 0 losses (which I can understand ;)) then it sounds like you did well.

ywhtptgt
11-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Inquisitors are not available in my game, also he randomly uses other spells like lightning or sheep. Killing him in two rounds also seems next to impossible due to a large ammount of necromancers (I think it was a stack of some 200 or so) which take forever to kill even if I pound them with everything I had in my army at the time. I don't remember the exact composition, I think it was 2 stacks of emerald green dragons, 2 stacks of royal thorns, 1 stack of necromancers, and another stack of something, possibly demonesses but I'm not completely sure.
One stack of Knights or Horsemen should be ok. Neither are meant to really kill anything, but they are unlimited, tough, and resurrectable. I personally would prefer Horsemen, as they can play hide and seek.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that you have only 80 mana... If you have very high defense and are in a position of getting inf mana (Magic Spring + Drain + Rain), then the above will most definitely work (i.e. sit at a corner). Porting horsemen or knights next to necros can be useful.

Otherwise, use Sprite, Dryad, Fairy along with Anga' Ruby to quickly take out a few lethal stacks and slowly resurrect dead units. Casting L3 Healing Spring on two stacks and then use rain on them should regen mana pool very fast.

Calinda
11-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Hmm its not like killing him in 2 rounds. In 2 rounds you have to kill all stacks but one, for example the necromancers. Then keep the necromancers Blind so he don't cast anymore. Blind is 2 turns, use first turn to resurrect something, second wait all troops then hit necromancers with everything after they pass their turn, then cast Blind again. Too bad you don't have inquisitors.

MajorS
11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Which should be one of the first skills to aim for anyway(upgrading priests). Especially in a game where you cant recruit them.

ywhtptgt
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Which should be one of the first skills to aim for anyway(upgrading priests). Especially in a game where you cant recruit them.
I don't think Inquisitors are that useful in extended battles anyway... Their resurrection skill has only 1 charge, unless you want to cast the gift spell on them (which costs 20 mana).

As for skill priority, I am all for upgrading all the 3 magic school first before most other skills. The path to getting the Inquisitor upgrading skill simply costs too much and once you get there, there is a huge opportunity cost magic-wise.

Keneth
11-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Getting to the inquisition skill would be a good strategy if IT WEREN'T ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOODY SKILL TREE, the rest of tree is pretty much useless apart from lvl1 scouting and the trader skill so I'd have to waste a ton of runes, specifically a good ammount of magic runes which are in short supply me being a warrior and all. I could buy them but you know, feels like I'm wasting money even though I have about 6 million gold. :P They're good though, giving 20 mana (gift) for a lvl5 resurrect isn't such a bad thing.

And I can't use Blind, can't afford to waste that much mana, it's easier just to take all those god damn geysers, then use chargers/rage drain/mana spring/poison cloud for the next 20 rounds. :mrgreen: Anyway, hopefully there aren't any more such fights, bloody annoying that was, even had to take the damn pain skull off to get through. :grin:

sours
11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Is this one of the haas incarnations?

I played warrior as well. I had to switch in that rage to mana gem and targeted a unit that I would let live.

I killed all the other units asap and let one unit stack live and hoped he would stop the geyser. I believe I left an ogre stack for last. I pegged it down to low units and surrounded it with summoned of summoned thorns. So the retaliation would not kill it.

Fandango
12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey! This would be really great battle to get in the "Battle Videos" (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5718) thread. Anyone near that place to try and record the battle and submit it?

It would be a lot more interesting to discuss about the battle, if all would see one example of the actual situation and comment on different moves, used spells, used creatures etc.