PDA

View Full Version : Invincible mobs in starter quests?

TerraformX3
11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
This is something I don't get: On the starter island there are several quests which I cannot complete at level 7 because it has 'invincible' opponents. E.g. Mystery of the deserted castle and Archimage Rezo. Not to mention the group protecting the Kings camp (why are they hostile anyway?). One would expect mobs in the same countries are more or less of the same level, increasing slowly with each new country.

So: is the game not linear in advancement? Do we frequently get quests which we cannot complete before we grow much stronger?

Ish
11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
This is something I don't get: On the starter island there are several quests which I cannot complete at level 7 because it has 'invincible' opponents. E.g. Mystery of the deserted castle and Archimage Rezo. Not to mention the group protecting the Kings camp (why are they hostile anyway?). One would expect mobs in the same countries are more or less of the same level, increasing slowly with each new country.

So: is the game not linear in advancement? Do we frequently get quests which we cannot complete before we grow much stronger?

The horsemen, the archmage's tower, the deserted castle and the undead castle in the marshan swamp are pretty tough early on.

I beat the horsemen at lvl 10 on impossible and only got access to 8 horsemen which was not worth using. I tried sacrifise but with a paladin and not wanting to put too many points into chaos it it was too slow and not a fun way to play so I loaded without chaos magic.

Anyway to answer your Q.. often there are enemies you cant beat as soon as you see them

Ryder
11-19-2008, 04:30 AM
I beat the horsemen at lvl 10 on impossible and only got access to 8 horsemen which was not worth using.
You can get into that tent without fighting the guards.

YENKO
11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
You can get into that tent without fighting the guards.

True, you are mounted and faster than them. BTW, i believe it is working as intended, since, probably, having access to those strong units (horsemen and knights) from the word GO would be...a little cheesy :)

Gatts
11-20-2008, 09:01 AM
I would say:
1. I like strong armies/quests -> don't care to wait to finish them
2. It also gives a lot of fun later in the game - as you always return to this land -> so when you return level 15 from the pirat land - you can finish these quests
3. not only fun, it also gives thrills - you will not be able to travel and also finish each quests like checkboxes, you have to plan, tactisize, and prepare... This will prevent the player from brainlessly attack each stack, take all quests and make all fights boring... this will show you limits of your actual army and also the view in the future on what you need to win them. It strongly tests ones analyzing skills, judgement skills and preparation skills.

YENKO
11-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Also, i forgot to mention that the very hero class can have a big impact on someone's gaming perception. Let's assume we all start as noobs. My first try at the game was with the warrior. I was able to kill any army flagged as 'slightly weaker' and below, while those 'match' were troublesome, involving some cannon-fodder losses.
Next time i tried the mage, and everything went like smooth sailing, 'slightly stronger' armies are not a problem now! Zero losses! Mind you, i never leveled (yet) past level 7-8 (i'm green)and, later, my mileage will vary, but i can still take note of the radical difference at percepting the game with those two different classes :)

Gatts
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Also, i forgot to mention that the very hero class can have a big impact on someone's gaming perception. Let's assume we all start as noobs. My first try at the game was with the warrior. I was able to kill any army flagged as 'slightly weaker' and below, while those 'match' were troublesome, involving some cannon-fodder losses.
Next time i tried the mage, and everything went like smooth sailing, 'slightly stronger' armies are not a problem now! Zero losses! Mind you, i never leveled (yet) past level 7-8 (i'm green)and, later, my mileage will vary, but i can still take note of the radical difference at percepting the game with those two different classes :)

Green or not - you are right, I will just add that not only what type of hero you play - but a lot (if not all) is randomized - you get different items in shops, different spells, different neutrals - who react differently on you different army combinations...

So even if you would play the same hero with same army - still you would experience different KB... what is actually the very very good point of this game.

Also the very experienced players can aswer even the worst possible battles with simple solutions... like defeating the turtle with 2 griffins and archmage, or winning in battle where you fight dourble-yourself with 0-loss policy...

I mayself was surprised that when I combinded the right skills + spells + spirit abilities - I was able to finish the MAGE triatlon (activate the three magic stones : order, chaos, alteration) on 5th level on impossible with minimum loses and got 2000, 1050, 980 and 880 XP from the four fights (went to 7 or 8 level)... actually the most difficult battle was the one where I got only 880 XP :)... I would never imagine I can win such battles (when I take in account I did not specificaly prepare for them)... also with the same hero I won in the Warrior Challenges , only one I could not win was the last fight - level 30 a lot of dragons

But I nearly won...