PDA

View Full Version : Archdemons anyone?

monkeydog
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I have really been enjoying using demon troops. Especially when fighting dragons (50% fire resist and +50% def). My question is... can you hire the level 5 Archdemons from anywhere in Demonis? I have found every demon troop except that one. I would imagine you can as I have been able to use any other level 5 troop so far.

Calinda
11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
You can after you beat Baal.
I like the archdemons too, very good tanks with Xeona for wife and the cloak from the Haas labyrinth quest. And Demetrius weapon so you can hire more of them :)

kadrzys
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I think it's random but maybe completing some quest gives opportunity, don't know. But I find Demons more playable than Archdemons (obtained them few times by Demon Gate) especially my favorite combo now (since I divorced with Feanora and got rid of Royal Snakes):
-Scoffer Imps
-Imps
-Demons
-Xeona wife

due to tactics set both imp stacks as near enemy as possible, cast mass haste, put pentagram on ground with demons (imps get +3 morale) and hit with imps using their natural ability to strike and return. Next turn you can give fit of energy to one of them for throwing fireball at the end of turn. This setting needs tank like griffins or horsemen (I use horsemen due to their high initiative). Also Black Dragons are annoying but with help od dryads (put to sleep other troops and finish Dragons) their not very painless. OFC 2x Dragon Slayer Sword works very, very fine against Dragons:D:D

Zhuangzi
11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Archdemons are not guaranteed, even in Baal's castle. One game I couldn't find them at all. I haven't used these guys extensively but I believe that regular demons are better.

Calinda
11-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Original demons can't have 109 defense or so. And in certain cases they are hard to reposition after you time them back. Archdemons are good tanking unit, with "tanking" being the keyword here.

kadrzys
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
I defeated Baal yesterday and have only regular Demons in his castle.

I forgot to mention about Furious ability of Demons. They can be used same way as Griffins and even with Griffins.

Gatts
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I have played with Demon army, liked archdemons a lot, just I had to watch them not to die... replenishing them is an issue - teleport is the megabonus... and their nearly fire imunity is handy when you fight enemies that like using armageddon.

Demons are fine as they give large variety of tactic combinations - it just take much more brain effort to use it only for good benefit - for me it was much easier to use shooters in first half of game and life steelers in the secon half of game.

When I first played with demon only army - I realized they have not few weaknesses - they fire resistance is not high enough to make usage of armagedon, but their lack of other resistances make them vulnarable in normal battles - They miss archers, they skills are used up in first few rounds and do not replenish - so longer fights are tricky.

If you are good enough to know the AI of your enemy - it looks much more easy for me to use regular army, where ressurection works.

I found Archdemons nearly always till now (not that always I looked for them - so I could missed them but I didn't realize that) But normally I found them even out of the demon lands... if nowhere else than in labyrinth... Still don't worry, if you have a weakness for the sado-maso girl from hell and you like the hell army -> you will do fine w/o archdemons - all what I really missed was "running" ability for cerberus - would love it

travcm
11-20-2008, 01:26 AM
gatts: fire resistance does not come into play with Armageddon. It deals astral damage.

Calinda
11-20-2008, 08:51 AM
You can replenish them using sacrifice. With 15 intellect, Sacrifice III and the dragon cloak you can get 2 with 1 cast even.

Gatts
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Hmm - good to know... armageddon with astral damage (and I didn't use it when I fought demons or dragons as I thought is pure fire damage)
also sacrifice works on dragons... cool... I would bet I had INT above 15... but no matter now I will try harder, maybe I was just too easy discouraged and stopped trying it....

Smash
11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Original demons can't have 109 defense or so. And in certain cases they are hard to reposition after you time them back. Archdemons are good tanking unit, with "tanking" being the keyword here.

Maybe but they can be resurrected plus they have better skills, they can easy obtain +3 morale, send them in the middle, they are great tank with unlimited retaliate.
Btw. Too much defense or offense can be overkill (ogre is best example) because of caps what makes warriors life not so happy.

Gatts
11-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Remember - Attack / Defence is not the most important pivot in whole KB combat system, so don't pay too much attention to these.

KB has very clear calculation of leadership / unit stats - this you can use to your benefit greatly - as this calculation gives the nearly same respect towards att/ def / dmg and less towards skills - where it are the skill that make the difference (that's why not few people believe that dryads are overpowered - for it's skills)

So if you are really tactical and perfectionist - and you know the game well - you may create your own comparission table -> where you would align your own (based on your tactics needs) "mark" - "value" to each unit stat (speed/ init, att, def, dmg, resist. ...) and compare with the unit's leadership - so I realized that I don't want black or red dragons - as their leadership is too high compared towards their attributes in my own table - but I rated vampires or griffins much higher as these units plea my tactics need for evil or good army (guess which is which)

Basicaly archdemons should be able to take more damage and deliver more damage with the same leadership than demons - but the difference is let say 10~20% , but with demon combination of skills you can increase your total army effectiveness by 100% and more -> is the 20% more damage from archdemons (one stack- one fifth of your army) still so important?

That is why many players chosen not to use bone dragons as their att/def/dmg is much lower than the one of other dragons - still their poison round attack is a MUST for my tactics (not to say that only few units have real poison resistance, even black dragons have 0% poison resistance)... and bone dragons have much more lower leadership

Xargon
11-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I found archdemons to be extremely effective against red&black dragons, but apart from that they are not all that great. Against dragons: 80% fire resist, high attack&defense, Rahha's shield (+50% defense against dragon attacks - looking at the stats, I think it just lowers enemy dragons' attack by 50%), Dragon Slayer sword (only 1, because of Feanora)... rather unfair ;)
So I had a stack of archdemons in reserve later in the game, as you oppose quite a lot of dragons... but generally (I played as a mage), I preferred emerald green dragons as my fast attacker by far. With time back at the end of the 2nd turn, thats up to ~80 extra mana, depending on positioning (could be less or even more).

Handel
11-28-2008, 01:18 AM
They are random as almost any other unit. I found them when just running and exploring the demon realm. Got even to the Baal's castle and he teleported me to the center of the realm.

BTW (kind of spoilerish)...

In one of the quests you can choose which kind of troops you will be fighting against in another quest later.
A demon "recruiter" asks for an advice - which kind of mercenaries to choose for battles in the iceland. Guess who you will be fighting later:-)

Lari
11-28-2008, 09:18 AM
The randomness of this game is kinda sick, it may happen that u don't find a troop at all, while sometimes u find it just everywhere. But i think it also make the game funnier to play, cause you have to play with what u got, so every game is different. I just wished that, if any item of any set was spawned, the entire set was spawned; Kinda frustrating that i had never completed the knight' set in any of my games...
btw, about the archdemon/demon ... i think it's a question of use/type-of-battle more that troop itself. IMO demons are just stronger, with more efficient dmg output, and better overall abilities, and for normal encounters they are just too good; but against a hero, especially one with dragons, i will use archdemons, cause they can tank so good with high def/att stats and resistances, and most of all, cause being a level 5 unit they are almost untargettable by spells, and also they will just get rid of any effect in one turn. i HATE too see my hundred fiery daemons become little defenseless sheep! it doesn't hurt to use them both anyway :)

Metathron
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
In one of the quests you can choose which kind of troops you will be fighting against in another quest later.
A demon "recruiter" asks for an advice - which kind of mercenaries to choose for battles in the iceland. Guess who you will be fighting later:-)

Wait, I was wondering about what the point was there...So where exactly do you get to fight the kind of units you chose?

Gatts
11-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Wait, I was wondering about what the point was there...So where exactly do you get to fight the kind of units you chose?

After you return back to the Dwaren King Castle - it will be under siege and you will fight exactly the type of units you choosen in Demonis in this "quest" - I mostly select humans... but it is just question of strategy taste

Smash
11-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh... thats why i fought lots of cyclops XD. Damn i choose best units for what he ask.

About bad luck i have impossible mage lvl 17 with 41 int but it will be more, over 50 for sure (i still do not have daemon wife with double weapon) but i cannot find Armageddon anywhere, my last chance is exchange world map for spells but i missed one obelix do not know where and now i am pissed.

Keneth
11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
You should exchange the worldmap for runes, everything else is a waste. And why would you need armageddon anyway? It's highly overrated.

Metathron
11-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Exchange world map?

Can someone remind me what this is about?

Keneth
11-28-2008, 05:23 PM
If you activate all the obelisks of King Fandor, you get his world map in the Pyramid which can be exchanged at various world leaders for different rewards.

Metathron
11-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Really? You can give it to different people (which?)? I brought it to the dwarven king, and I seem to remember the last item in the quest being "Bring the map to Torn Digor" or something like that? :confused:

Keneth
11-28-2008, 06:30 PM
You can give it to any leader, king of dwarves, king of darion, queen of elves and possibly others too. You get 10 runes of each type if you give it to elf queen, you get a mithril armor from the dwarves iirc, human king just gives you some cash.

Lari
11-28-2008, 06:30 PM
@metathorn : actually u can give the map to the king of dwarves for a very cool shield(8def -20% dwarves ldrs), to the king of elves for 10 runes per type, to the king of humans for 250K gold and a scroll of each spell at the magic academy(maybe at the magic school, can't remember now)

@smash : Obelisk location are here : http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=51894&postcount=59 , doesn't take long to check'em all

Metathron
11-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I got the shield from the dwarf king the last time, but had I known I had options, I would've given the map to the elf queen.

Danny
12-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Dear Metathron & Gamers of KB,

World map is from the 13 Obelisk "quest".

You can "sell" it to your own King in Darion for 250K gold, trade it for a Mitril Shield from the Drawf King, trade it for 10 runes of each kind with Elf Queen ... (did I miss some other ruler?)

Danny