PDA

View Full Version : Does every point of intelligence matter?

Metathron
11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Or is it just every 7 and 15, like it says in the description?

I'm asking because I read a post in which someone claimed that every point of intelligence matters, increasing something or other? I am thinking of whether to equip several early game artifacts that add mana or defense but decrease your intelligence.

kadrzys
11-12-2008, 05:02 PM
well unless you're mage and not trying to ressurect everything as a paladin you can decrease your intelligence at the start of the game. Every point matters (there is a topic about it) and decreasing intelligence even as a warrior is not cool thing but at the start for some defense bonuses why not.

Metathron
11-12-2008, 05:04 PM
So what does each point contribute to exactly? Clearly not spell duration. Spell power?

kadrzys
11-12-2008, 05:24 PM
spell power and I'm not sure if some spells get duration bonus at 30int

Amamake
11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
So what does each point contribute to exactly? Clearly not spell duration. Spell power?

+10% to damage dealt by spells per point in Intelligence.

Metathron
11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
10% more damage?! Screw those artifacts that decrease intelligence then (playing as mage). Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Candyman
11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
its not 10% damage per point, the Seventh(7,14,21,28....) point adds +10%damage
every other point increases only by a bit, dont know exactly

Amamake
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Eh, no, it's 10% per point and every seventh adds additional +15%. English release is riddled with translation errors and this is one of them.

Candyman
11-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Eh, no, it's 10% per point and every seventh adds additional +15%. English release is riddled with translation errors and this is one of them.

oh, thanks to know then :)

Metathron
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
This is priceless info, before I used to scoff at Intelligence, but no more! :cool:

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-12-2008, 06:55 PM

I agree with that.

Metathron
11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I checked how much more damage my fireball does on my last level up and it is indeed about 10 per cent.

kadrzys
11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I checked how much damage my Warriors' Fire Rain and Ghost Blade do and thanks to simple mathematics I'm sure that 1 point at Intelligence gives 10% to damage of a spell (lucky me having item giving +1 to Intelligence). Don't know exacly how those bonuses stacks because when I calculated this way damage which should my spells do with my current Intelligence I got lower dmg by 100%+

one thing for sure: if you're a Mage you don't want to decrease your Int although you're doing some weird challenge ;)

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
If every point of intellect gave your spell a 10% increase then at level 21 your spells would be increased by 210%

You work it out

Roman
11-13-2008, 04:37 AM
If every point of intellect gave your spell a 10% increase then at level 21 your spells would be increased by 210%

You work it out

Not necessarily - that depends on whether the percentage increases are additive or cumulative. If they are additive, the increase due to intelligence 21 would indeed be 210%, but if the increases are cumulative, it would be approximately 640%.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Not necessarily - that depends on whether the percentage increases are additive or cumulative. If they are additive, the increase due to intelligence 21 would indeed be 210%, but if the increases are cumulative, it would be approximately 640%.

Good point

Edit

Direct quote from the game visable when you hold the mouse over the Intellect icon

"Every 7 points on intellect increase magic damage by 10% and every fifteen points increases the duration of spells effect by one turn"

calmon
11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Good point

Edit

Direct quote from the game visable when you hold the mouse over the Intellect icon

"Every 7 points on intellect increase magic damage by 10% and every fifteen points increases the duration of spells effect by one turn"

But didn't they said that this was a translation error? (Page 1 of this thread)

Amamake
11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Well, this text is from the older versions of the game, where mage was basically a fighter with the higher magic skill. The game changed a lot since then, but someone forgot to update the text during localization.

The correct one is: Every point of intellect adds 10% to magic damage, every 7 points add additional 10% and every 15 points increase the duration of some spells by one turn.

Smash
11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Intellect not only buff spells damage but other things too.
For example it increase value of precision, pain mirror and others but not all, same for duration i never saw my duration of sheep spell higher than two even with 35 intellect...
This game really needs english manual or wiki :(.

travcm
11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
amamake is correct

Handel
11-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I play as a mage (my first serious game) and I am absolutely sure - every point of INT increases the damage with 10%; every 7 points give 10% additional bonus; so with 9 points if INT you get double damage. Minus the enemy resistance of course. I checked it at the very begining. Non-modified (with 0 INT ) fireball makes 155 damage in the central hex; with 1 INT it makes 170 damage which is exactly 10% increase (rounded down).

INT increases the damage and from spells like "mirror pain". The basic value of the damage is percentage from the damage dealt by the enemy in the previous turn. In this case what the INT makes is to increase this with 10% FROM THE BASIC VALUE for each point of INT. So if the basic value (for example) is 60% then each point of INT increases it by 6% Don't know if any enemy resistance counts when you cast "mirror pain". The magic resistance if any should be counted but don't really know.

Lari
11-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Or is it just every 7 and 15, like it says in the description?

I'm asking because I read a post in which someone claimed that every point of intelligence matters, increasing something or other? I am thinking of whether to equip several early game artifacts that add mana or defense but decrease your intelligence.

Formula for damage for spells says :

intellect's modifier : (1+0.1*int)*(1+0.1*(Int/7 "<- only integer part"))

ie. Int 15 = 2.5*1.2 = 3 (extra turn duration on some spells)
ie. Int 30 = 4*1.4 = 5.6 (2 extra turns duration on some spells)

note: some spells are capped on maximum duration, others do not get a bonus at all. ie. dragon arrow give 1 additional arrow every 15 point, up to 5 arrows. Hypnose duration is 2 rounds no matter what, etc

Total damage will be : base dmg of spell * intellect's modifier * item's modifier<- (sum of items/ability bonuses) ; remember to apply resistance from target

Note: Sacrifice doesn't add the extra 10% per 7 ints ; pain mirror just adds int/2 to %dmg returned.

So, answering your question, no, it isn't just 7 and 15, every point matters, but not all points matter the same
IMO: throw that garbage away as soon as u get something better, or if your strategy is heavily based on spell's dmg.

Handel
11-28-2008, 02:05 AM
I use 1.65 version and it seems the INT adds more to the pain mirror spell. At first lvl spell with 34 INT I have 129% return. The basic value of the spell was 75% (I think). So those 34 points of INT add 50% of damage. Obvous not the 6% as I thought but much more then the 17% from INT/2.

Lari
11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
129% is a pretty weird number :) yes, the base is 75%, so you're supposed to have 75%base *x +17% returned dmg , where x is your bonus from items/ability. So, in this case, 129 = 75x + int/2 -> x = 1.5 , meaning 50% from item's bonus... i can think of destroyer level 3(50%), just my guess. am i right? I have too the 1.65 installed (manual referred to 1.64, but i don't think they had any reason to change this), but i can't verify, cause too much snow to go back home :( i miss my pc so much!! hope to be helpful, let me know

Handel
11-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, I forgot about the destroyer lvl 3:-)