PDA

View Full Version : This probably won't fly but can't hurt to ask... :)

TemjinGold
11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
This post is to the mods/devs/whoever:

I am a professional copyeditor and while I love this game, the one thing that kind of bugs me is how poor the english is. I mean, a misspelling here and a typo there is certainly understandable but there are lots of things (skills being one of them) where people can't even be sure what they mean/do. I would be more than happy to edit all of the ingame text to proper english grammar and clarity if the opportunity were available (heck, if someone showed me how to directly rewrite ingame text, I'd do it for myself.)

Anyway, don't take this as anything negative. I simply like the game enough to try and offer my help if it would be desired. If not, no harm in asking.

jta
11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
go to the "King's Bounty. The Legend\sessions\base" and "loc_ses.kfs" with win rar... there is everithing that has to do with game text :-)

TemjinGold
11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
go to the "King's Bounty. The Legend\sessions\base" and "loc_ses.kfs" with win rar... there is everithing that has to do with game text :-)

Thanks! I'll be spending some time rewriting a lot of this stuff to be less of an eyesore then... :)

Metathron
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Meh. The King's Bounty text wasn't that off anyway. If you want an eyesore, try Heroes of Might and Magic V!

jta
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
meh. The king's bounty text wasn't that off anyway. If you want an eyesore, try heroes of might and magic v!

rlol :-)

aaaaa
11-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Understandable. The only flaw of this otherwise great game that I feel sorry is poor English script. Even to foreigner like me (not English native speaker), it is pity. The original script was written in Russian and translated into English by Russian translator. That's why it is so.

The developer, Katauri, should have hired professional English copy editor like TemjinGold and ironed out awkward and rough English expressions and weed out incorrect mistranslations. I hope that they will do so in new coming expansion game.

I think that this poor English script had played some part in low sales figure of this great game in US.

Gatts
11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
It may sound totally unlogical, but I personally love all possible english flaws in games that are not originally english... (we call it engrish) and it is just more fun and it basicaly shows the effort behind as well that nobody is perfect - what makes me feel better... also I feel soooo clever when I accidentally observe any of such "mistakes"...

My company pays loads of money to remove any smalles spelling / cosmetic mistakes and from my internal view it's thrown out money, it is double thrown out money as I know that my company is well aware of pareto 80/20 rule.

Would there be feedback from players like : "I can't finish quest xy, as I totally do not understand what I shell do... due poor english" - than it would be something different. I just can imagne that apart of the 5% MEGALO-perfectionists, the rest of players enjoy such "mistakes" as well in one or other way.

Roman
11-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I have to agree with Gatts to some extent, in that I find the awkward translation to be charming in its own way. That said, that's no real excuse for it and I am sure most players would prefer clean English and correct idiomatic expressions.

TemjinGold
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, I do plan on cleaning up the english for myself at least but if anyone here is interested I would be happy to post my edited files when I finish. I am currently ~50% done judging by the file sizes. Of course, if no one would care to have it, I won't post, so if anyone is interested, please let me know by responding!

This is of course if the mods/devs/etc. wouldn't object to that. I have a lot of respect for IP and the like and if they feel that would infringe upon their work or something like that, I will honor their wishes. I only ask that one of them let me know in this thread.

phoenixreborn
11-23-2008, 03:38 AM
You should post it. It's the kind of thing people will come by and download.

Roman
11-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Agreed - you should post it! :)

TemjinGold
11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Will do when it's done then. It'll probably be another couple of weeks (need stuff at work to die down a bit first before I can finish it.)