PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Intro movies and game screen

jsmithhtml
11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.

When running the game I sometimes get flashing during the intro movie and in-game. It is really obvious and looks like there is a refresh problem. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 running on Vista x32

It turns out if my machine enters sleep mode and then I run the game the video gets all corrupted. If you reboot before running the game after the machine exits sleep mode the game works fine.

Finkbug
03-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Just installed the demo and it was flashing so badly I almost hit the power button on my monitor for fear of it getting fried. Played around a bit and it'd stop for a second or two when I clicked a button but that was it. Resolution, refresh rate nada.

4870x2 on Vista 64 home premium, up-to-date drivers. i7 920, 3 gigs ram.

I'm tempted to try the reboot thing but then I'd want to play the game--and I'm not messing with a game that requires a reboot to be playable. Pity; adore Space Rangers 2 and was looking forward to this one.

Nike-it
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Guys can you please specify game versions you are playing and the version of drivers (catalyst 9.3 I guess).

Finkbug
03-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd uninstalled it by the time I posted, but it was whatever demo version was on gamershell.com March 21 2009.

My drivers are 9.2. Could'a sworn they were up-to-date. I'll fix that and dl a demo again when I've got a chance, see if the problem is still there. What's the current demo release?

If you've not been able to reproduce, I want to stress it's not flickery like a low-refresh CRT, it's like staring at a strobe light. After a minute of fighting through settings (tried resolution and v-sync; didn't try play windowed) to see if I could fix it I had a blinding headache and was worried about my monitor. It's completely unplayable.

PS. Hope sales are going well. Big fan of you guys!

[edit] On that first attempt turning on vsync changed the problem to a rapidly rolling bar, similar to (but worse than) pointing an analog video camera at a CRT with both on different power feeds so the sync is mismatched.