PDA

View Full Version : Why make a game that is so heavily biased?

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
All the bragging rights and "i've done this i've done that" are from people who have used Mages. It's very easy to fake/alter a photo you know ha ha don't bother posting links to your fake scores for gods sake..

I love this game but it's so annoying that the Mages are the only class worth bothering with!

Metathron
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I had fun playing with the warrior.

But oh no, I can't brag, because I was playing on *gasp* normal.

Who gives a frell about the score anyway.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I had fun playing with the warrior.

But oh no, I can't brag, because I was playing on *gasp* normal.

Who gives a frell about the score anyway.

I didn't mention the score as I have not completed the game yet. I'm just pointing out a fact.

I like you could not give two shits about the score.

Direwolf
11-02-2008, 04:50 AM
KBH,

I would disagree...

I'm playing as a Paladin on Impossible its day 22 and i'm clearing the land of the dead.

I actually think the Pala is better than the mage and after giving it some thought also think that the most powerful spell in the game is actually soul drain at 50% which once you get leveled up high enough recharges every turn.
So, that would lead me to believe that in late game Warrior could actually be the best unit as you could do soul drain every turn and use limited mana for def spells.

my .02 cents...

DW

Calinda
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to play for high score with warrior, I reached elven lands on day 11, and progressing there, lvl 21 currently. On impossible, of course. I'll tell you how fast I finished once I'm done.

travcm
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
KBH,

I would disagree...

I'm playing as a Paladin on Impossible its day 22 and i'm clearing the land of the dead.

I actually think the Pala is better than the mage and after giving it some thought also think that the most powerful spell in the game is actually soul drain at 50% which once you get leveled up high enough recharges every turn.
So, that would lead me to believe that in late game Warrior could actually be the best unit as you could do soul drain every turn and use limited mana for def spells.

my .02 cents...

DW

I don't see anything at all that makes the paladin more powerful than the mage. The Paladin basically gets extras of the useless runes, bonuses to non-threatening undead, and a miniscule amount of extra leadership. Endgame, as a mage, you cast 2 spells per turn, 3 times per battle, and will have to runes (if you didn't waste any) to max all of the worthwhile skills. The Paladin is clearly inferior as a single one of those extra casts can be used to cast phantom for a zero loss army that more than compensates for the leadership differences.

jake21
11-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I think the problem here is with the phrase "I don't see anything that makes ..." - just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In my current game (just entered demon area - paladin on hard) here are the things i noticed (compared to my mage on hard and warrior on hard):
I *think* I am a level+ higher when entering area - perhaps because I took some of the bonus exp skills
I *know* I have higher number of total skills because I converted many of my mind runes into warrior/mage runes
My stats are much more balanced and quite high (approx 20 15 15 for attack/defense/int) so I hit much harder than mage.
For the two hardest fights (demon area/elven undead) my attack will be +15 due to paladin skills.
My items find has been quite good (just lucky or perhaps something is tilted towards paladin).
-
I almost did not play paladin game and when I started it I thought it would be a waste of time (and a bit of a pain in some situations). I've been amazed at how easy the game is (compared to the warrior/mage games).

I have not played on impossible so I cannot compare the classes at that level but I feel that I can compare them on hard.

I guess an open question is if I had built my warrior the same as my paladin (i.e, kept the stats more balanced) would there still be a difference - I suspect the extra level and skill against deamon/undead helps more than anticipated.

I don't see anything at all that makes the paladin more powerful than the mage. The Paladin basically gets extras of the useless runes, bonuses to non-threatening undead, and a miniscule amount of extra leadership. Endgame, as a mage, you cast 2 spells per turn, 3 times per battle, and will have to runes (if you didn't waste any) to max all of the worthwhile skills. The Paladin is clearly inferior as a single one of those extra casts can be used to cast phantom for a zero loss army that more than compensates for the leadership differences.

MajorS
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
After 2 impossible games with mage and warrior i can say, that mage may be extremely overpowered on normal, but spellpower does not scale on impossible.

And at the end my Warrior hat 30k Leader, my Mage only 22k, thats more than 35% more damage and health with troops. I somewhat missed the dual casting ability but in alot of fights i did not need it because my troops finished most mind immune stacks because of their bigger stack size and the Dryads put the rest to sleep, so even a couple incarnations and heroes in the maze didnt even get a chance to cast a single spell.

Smash
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I start to see Dryads everywhere ~~.

vicheron
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
My first game was a Paladin, I ended up with over 50 mind runes left over but my might and magic runes were all used up.

Gatts
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
All the bragging rights and "i've done this i've done that" are from people who have used Mages. It's very easy to fake/alter a photo you know ha ha don't bother posting links to your fake scores for gods sake..

I love this game but it's so annoying that the Mages are the only class worth bothering with!

I would not agree - my one and only time I was able to finish the game on impossible was with warrior... (even if the tactics I used was not warrior only based, and I missed the "2 spells / turn" skill and totally did not use the "iron fist" skill)

Gatts
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I would also add the fact - tha the most powerfull artefacts are weapons - with the correct woman (hell girl) you can have 4 weapons - that makes warrior valuable even if nothing else would.

It needs only little luck and you would have collection of the best weapon artefacts - by this you can make from you warrior excellent mage (using the +5 to INT weapon/staffs) or total slayer (I had 2 swords of +50% DMG to dragons when I was in the labyrinth, or 3 + x% against demons when I was fighting demons - I am not sure if it was 50% or 30% ...)

I would never believe that this can make a difference myself - but I never had such easy fights on impossible than when combining the best of the best weapon artifacts :)

btw - I totally liked most the palladin - but not on impossible
why is mage not so great on impossible? - his magic increases in power linear (in linear matter- you have twice INT your spells do twice DMG, but you can get much more DMG in impossible combat than you could ever fix with ressurection)
as the difficulty increases geometrically, you lose in time...

travcm
11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Mage is great on impossible, but you must focus on either high int for Armageddon or low int and high attack/defense for creature based strategies and Phantom. Fire Rain and other damage spells don't cut it past early/mid-game.

Zhuangzi
11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Mage is great on impossible, but you must focus on either high int for Armageddon or low int and high attack/defense for creature based strategies and Phantom. Fire Rain and other damage spells don't cut it past early/mid-game.

Actually I used Fire Rain throughout the game in my Impossible Mage game. With 30 Intellect, Destroyer 3 and Chaos 3, I was getting around 2000 damage per hex over 7 hexes. With Higher Magic this was six times in the first three turns. This is pretty devastating. I'm not saying that this is the best way to play the game but it DOES work.

Smash
11-18-2008, 11:30 PM

Agreed :).

Gina S.
11-28-2008, 08:49 PM

I'm playing this game and loving it also and could not disagree with you more.

I'm playing a Warrior and I'm having an amazing amount of fun. I have no idea if better scores are heavily weighted toward Mages or not. Don't really care, although I understand if others do. But to make a blanket statement that Mages are the only class worth bothering with is heavily subjective AND silly.

Smash
11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Actually I used Fire Rain throughout the game in my Impossible Mage game. With 30 Intellect, Destroyer 3 and Chaos 3, I was getting around 2000 damage per hex over 7 hexes. With Higher Magic this was six times in the first three turns. This is pretty devastating. I'm not saying that this is the best way to play the game but it DOES work.

On my first approach (mage, normal) i was using Chaos 3 as first too, but now going on impossible with mage i found that geyser is more awesome spell which is guarantee and easy to obtain, this spell help me win with easy nearly all battle up to kordar, i just cleared whole gremlin castle even beating stacks mark as impossible oO.

TemjinGold
11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Destroyer 3 still helps Geyser. Geyser hits a lot of targets but the spell damage is really weak for a mage.

Smash
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Ohh i read wrong, i thought about chaos school magic X/.

Why damage is half of fire rain as you said it hits a lot of targets, cast it twice in first turn plus your aoe units and only the biggest stacks will stay at the end of turn, disable they on next turn and it is over.

Gatts
12-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Geysier is great against scattered enemies, like gremlin towers - would be geysier half Phy DMG half Magical (that means that it could deliver 1/2 damage to black dragons ) this spell would be really ultimate - but I found it quite useless (nearly) when I had to fight huge stacks of black dragons...

For me was Gaysier the best spell due my lack of will to calculate where exactly to land Fire Rain /Fire Ball, Ice snake to deliver the hugest damage ... w/o much thinking I just selected gayser and enjoyed the flying/falling and dying enemies (sadly I didn't get it always so easily... )

Smash
12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Geyser is all physical and guarantee so you can rush for it, making even impossible game much easier :).

Ryder
12-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I got a better score on my normal Warrior game than I did on my hard Mage game. If I dont beat it with my Impossbile Paladin game then I'll be most distraught.

Gatts
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Geyser is all physical and guarantee so you can rush for it, making even impossible game much easier :).

Well - but I do not remember that it can hit black dragon, can it? (If so, than I would be just happy)

Lestas
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Nope :) BDs are immune to magic.

ywhtptgt
12-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Nope :) BDs are immune to magic.

Except for Armageddon -> I finished the last fight in the game on normal with a double Armageddon.

Lestas
12-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Armageddon deals astral damage (there's no immune to astral) so that's why.. :)

Gatts
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Armageddon deals astral damage (there's no immune to astral) so that's why.. :)

In one of the great MOD's I installed lately - there is a unit that has "astral resistance" - does it really work agains armageddon? (Haven't the chance to try it yet)

Ryastar
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow! Our very first bot! I wouldn`t click that link if I were you, people, you never know what will be on the other side.

maltz
02-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Armageddon isn't the only way out for high-int mage on impossible. There are many other good spells that gets better with high INT.

eXeel
02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Armageddon isn't the only way out for high-int mage on impossible. There are many other good spells that gets better with high INT.

Why state that without listing the alternatives?

Longasc
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
The game is much better balanced than people expect it.

There are for sure differences between classes at different difficulty levels. Mages are very strong on normal, but the "money" power and versatility of the Paladin and the sheer size of Warrior armies can make up for the 2 spells per turn on higher difficulties.

This almost reminds me of people crying about having to play a princess in the expansion.

This game is serious business. ;)

Vilk
04-25-2009, 05:05 PM
In fact Fighter is amazing not much about stack size but more about rage. I haven't yet tried Paladin but for mage vs fighter none is obviously better, I prefer the fighter a bit but mage is quite cool and powerful too.