PDA

View Full Version : Good Tanker units?

aaaaa
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
There are many good attacker; unit with good attacking capability & damage, i.e damage dealer. But IMO, this game lacks good tanker/defender units; Unit with good defense and high health (HP) with high initiative and moderate movement point AND relatively low price & leadership requirement.

I personally prefer shooter type units like archer. But to make good use of relatively weak shooter units, I need good tanker. It will jump into middle of advancing enemy troops and take all the enemy fire/hit in behalf of shoots. The knight unit is good example. But the knight is too high level unit. It is expensive and too good attacker, too. I need good defender/poor attacker, less expensive and with less damage. High initiative and moderate movement point are plus but not priority. Talent like Evasion is good plus.

Do you have unit to recommend for such defender/tanker unit?

Paksenarrion
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
In terms of health per leadership there are only 4 units above 1.00

Dryad = 1.25 (25/20)
Griffin = 1.125 (90/80)
Orc = 1.083 (65/60)
Black Knight = 1.067 (160/150)

These units would tend to be better defensively.

edwin
10-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Griffins are superb for that at low to mid levels i find. They have good hp, decent defense, furious so they do loads of damage while grabbing the enemies attention, are very fast with high initiative so that you can park them right next to the enemy base line. Sure they'll need support when taking the brunt of the attack but that's to be expected.

Archmages can cast Shield which halfs the incoming damage. Stoneskin may help, Resurrection II can bring them back to health, Magic Spring gives you mana and strengthens their defense a bit etc.

Polar Bears are also decent tanks, they have 160 hp or so, so you may be able to keep them alive with Heals against weaker enemies. They are slow though.

Infiltrator
10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Black Dragons are the best tanks, no contest, the dryad may have a high HP/ldrs ratio but you will still lose a lot of them from most attackers. Whereas the enemy has to really make an effort to kill a single black dragon.

ender
11-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Griffin seems good, with unlimited retaliation.
Ressurection+magic spring+a single stack of griffins=win many battles without loss and good experience for rage box.

Zhuangzi
11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Griffins. They are the best, hands down. Black Dragons are too expensive and by the latter stages of the game your strategy will probably be different. I do use Black Dragons at the end, but not in this fashion.

Victor86
11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Ancient vampires .. against non-undead and non-plant enemies , along with some defensive spell on them.
Ofc griffins too.

player1
11-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Simple Swordsmen or Guardsmen can be great tanks if having Iron Fist talent to reduce their leadership by 20%. I also had lots of tanking with Dwarves. As someone mentioned Griffins are great too.

Anyway, any unit whose HP is higher then (or equal to) its leadership and has decent defense rating makes good tank. And if it has physical resistance of some level it's even better. Those units are also best to use phantom on.

P.S.
Warrior armes, in practice, need more tanks then other heroes, since that best way to minimize loses for hero who doesn't relly on damaging spells or ressurection to keep enemy attack power down.

Namel
11-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't forget ghosts and cursed ghosts. With little planning I actually gain ghosts in almost every fight.

Metathron
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't forget ghosts and cursed ghosts. With little planning I actually gain ghosts in almost every fight.

Good, but have you had problems with your leadership? Or is there some sort of cap, i.e. do ghosts add more ghosts only up to your leadership's limit?

MajorS
11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Your best tank is any Level 5 unit with target on it and someone healing them ;)

Namel
11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Good, but have you had problems with your leadership? Or is there some sort of cap, i.e. do ghosts add more ghosts only up to your leadership's limit?

I only use stacks of 80% or so of my leadership and on occasions use sacrifice on them. You can use heal too to kill some of them if they go over leadership.

alon
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you have unit to recommend for such defender/tanker unit?
As was mentioned before, level 5 units are your best tankers because they have the greatest amount of Hit Points = TANK. It's in the very definition of the word.

So I think your Tank Progress tree for a single unit could be something like:
Cavalry > Giants > Green Dragons

A couple more point:s
Giants + Level 3 Stone Skin = virtually invulnerable.
Any tank + Target = perfect anti-Archers.
Giants / Green Dragons + Level 1 Sacrifice = Free Resurrection!

Plus the giant stomp ability is nice. :)

Darmani
11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Ancient Ents. Typically my first move in battles is to teleport them over and cast Stoneskin on them. If some of the enemy stacks have fire damage, I'll cast Divine Armor instead -- it replaces their 100% Vulnerability with 36% resistance. Oftentimes they can take a full round of hits from the enemy army without dying. I can't use healing on them, but I can use Life Light, which makes this strategy even more awesome for the Land of the Dead. When one of them dies, well, I keep a stack of Thorn Hunters for Sacrifice+Time Back for that purpose.

Yes, the enemy can move away, but the Ents can still use Wasp Swarm, and, if need be, there's Target and Mass Haste.

(By the way, having something low-level enough to use Time Back on in my army allows for major exploits. When I fight an army with a stack that has the No Retaliation ability, I keep it alive, get infinite mana by letting it bang on my Ancient Ents with Magic Spring for a while and get practically infinite rage by using Rage Draining. I then use Sacrifice+Ressurection to get free Thorn Hunters, and, once I've gotten them to full, use Sacrifice +Time Back on them to regenerate all my other stacks. Thus, I turn a heavily-depleted army into a full one for free.)

Smash
11-06-2008, 11:08 PM
people miss a point, hp per leadership is not the most important thing but resistance and defense are thanks to them unit will stay longer.

Most important is physical resistance.

player1
11-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Actually, both are important. If just cost effectiveness is important, not just 0-loss policy.

Gatts
11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
well, I wonder where could be the catch - but for me didn't sacrifice work on green emerald dragons... (still I have them in my undead army for the "get me more mana" reason)

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Ents dish out 100-140 damage per unit :shock: They hardly get a mention on here?

Smash
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
They are plants plus no useful abilities :/.

Muzzy
11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I like shamens early on and to cast the totems. Most enemies go out the way to attack them first. Whilst you can cast spells and rage off from range. Phantoms a good spell to us with them and ice orb handy to tank with.

Gatts
11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Ents dish out 100-140 damage per unit :shock: They hardly get a mention on here?

Ents and their stronger friends are REAL TANKS, but as my personal long term KB tactics is to create army so I won't change it till the end ASAP - I don't go for plants nor treants / ents for their FIRE vulnerability... (which may not be a problem in many KB battles, so yes - you can hire them as real tanks - but don't wonder if you will suffer a lot in demonis or fighting dragons in haas labyrinth)

Lysander
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Still early in the game, but I've discovered two units that tie up the other side while my distance fighters (mages, archers, etc.) pick them off bit by bit. Both Lina's ice orb and the phoenix (cast as spell) have plenty of hit points, so I place them in the middle of the enemy troops and watch while their units keep busy fighting the orb and the phoenix. The phoenix doesn't have a powerful attack, but she's versatile (can move anywhere) and has plenty of hit points.

lobo76
01-27-2009, 03:03 AM
use dryads. remember that when u use phantom, they also have the abilities. aka. you can sprout a lot of plants, and multiple sleep ability at the same time.

Sensemaker
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
use dryads. remember that when u use phantom, they also have the abilities. aka. you can sprout a lot of plants, and multiple sleep ability at the same time.

I am just a beginner and haven't played elves yet, but looking at the stats and abilities of dryads make me impressed. 12 in defense and 25 hit points for a 20 leadership unit. That is very good. Add beauty which means male humanoids have 30% chance of missing entirely. They can summon thorns to do extra tanking for you.

Still in early game, I prefer to use the phoenix to do a bit of tanking for me. After moving my first units I can typically summon it and move it right to the middle of enemy archers where it will hit several of them with a single attack. When counter-attacked they retaliate and cause more damage to other archers. As often as not, the AI neglects to step onto the hex with it's corpse and I get to use it once again after it is killed. 20 mana and one turn of spell casting is a bit steep but you get a lot of us from it if your opponent is heaving in archers.

Sensemaker

jwallstone
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I also used Phoenix just like you do, Sensemaker. It was great for blocking ranged enemies. But I switched over to using phantom more. After a certain point, the phoenix just died too easily, usually in one hit. Sure, you can revive it, but if it dies right away from a faster melee troop, it's not blocking the ranged troops. With phantom, it scales with your army, so at this point it has significantly more hitpoints. If I need to block ranged troops, I usually move some royal snakes forward a few spaces, summon a phantom, then move that to block. With phantom, I'm getting over 20 royal snakes at this point, which has over 5 times the hitpoints of the young phoenix. Plus, the no retal of the snakes lets it hit without fear of dying from retal. The icing on the cake is that phantom costs less, and I always find myself in short mana supply when using this strategy repeatedly.

Right now, I'm working on building up a griffin stack (with sacrifice) to do the same thing. The multiple retal should be nice. Griffins also have more hp than leadership, (royal snakes do not), which should translate to more mileage.

maltz
01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
The best tank is a hypnotized enemy unit. :grin:

Longasc
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Your best tank is any Level 5 unit with target on it and someone healing them ;)

Exactly.

Swordsmen, Griffins... they are not bad and definitely good tanks. They just tend to take losses.

Griffins are a unit for certain strategies involving their high speed and split abilities, but if you really put them to the forefront, they will suffer losses. Retaliation helps them nothing in this regard, I would still prefer Royal Snakes over them. You will have to rez them anyways. They just take losses.

But a Black/Green/whatever Dragon can quickly traverse the battlefield and attract enemy attacks. They have high hp pools and awesome defense.
They will not take much losses or any losses at all, and resurrecting them with Inquisitors works very well.

I would suggest going to the Elven Lands and sail along the shores till you find the island where you can buy Emerald Dragons.

Another trick would be to use Lina's spiked ball or a Phoenix as diversion.

Dragons >>>> level 2-3 tank units. They are not only better tanks, they are better per se.

Zonc
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Exactly.
Griffins are a unit for certain strategies involving their high speed and split abilities, but if you really put them to the forefront, they will suffer losses. Retaliation helps them nothing in this regard

This is why TIME BACK ability is so great. park griffins in middle of enemy army, watch the slaughter, and in end of turn 2 cast Time Back - and zero losses!
BTW, Demons have the same ability (furius), but are much harder to get

Vilk
07-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm a big fan of Ancient Ents. Typically my first move in battles is to teleport them over and cast Stoneskin on them. If some of the enemy stacks have fire damage, I'll cast Divine Armor instead -- it replaces their 100% Vulnerability with 36% resistance....

Weird I never tried that, that's a non logical rule but totally true, with Divine Armor -100% is replaced by 30% or more depending of some stuff like Healer skill but also int and perhaps more, I pick two saves in my current game and got 39% and 44% with divine armor level 3, both with heal skill level 1.

That trick is huge and change a lot the tank point of view. Ancient Ent then are certainly the best tank or one of the best even against fire. The real weakness is the requirement to cast teleport but for a mage with Higher Magic skill that's less a burden.

For any tank Shield of Archmage is great and Peacefulness too, both against any type of attack. Also Stoneskin is useless against non physical attacks like magic.

Vilk
07-19-2009, 09:20 AM
My favorite Tank is Cursed Ghost with Target spell, . They can be huge and I doubt even Ancient Ent can be better in many battles. Some posts here already explained some key point of using Cursed Ghost. I pick some snapshot of Cursed Ghost with target and joined them bellow, they show some sample where Cursed Ghost and Target can work very well.

But cursed ghost won't work in any battle:

The best for them is a mix of non living and living.
They can also work very well against a full living army. The key point is using target, protection spells and focus all on keeping control of the stack.
They rule against full undead army except with Necromancers apart if they can be close to Necromancers that will then use a physical attack if you have used target.
They rule against army with physical attack.
They also work very well against a mixing of physical and living magical/fire like 80/20 depending of the enemy size.
They are great against many units with no retaliation because you won't have to manage counter attack and it will be more easy to control their stack.
They can work very well if there isn't too many red and black dragon in enemy army, typically the cursed ghost will take busy the whole enemy army but the dragons that will be attacked by all your other units.
Don't use them against strong stacks of priests/inquisitors/black dragon/red dragon/more than one stack of necromancer.
Don't use them against army with a strong sum of fire and magic attack.

Among the tricks to not have Cursed Ghosts out of control, some tricks already quoted in some previous posts:

Start with a stack not at its max. That's not for all battle, that depend of enemy strength and how you manage the first rounds.
Protect them more or less as the fight progress and enemy stacks lower.
Make them attack a non living or guard to try lower the stack.
Have a unit with a higher initiative than them in case they lost control at end of a turn.
Wait end of turn for some of your long range units so they can reduce their stack if out of control.
When you can keep your spell cast to later in the round in case you lost control.
Use target on them to have enemy control your stack for you.
Use target on them to allow you predict much more easily enemy attacks on them and possible counter attack to plan better a control of their stack.
Use Peacefulness to slow down their stack increase/decrease, that also a way to increase defense.
Use heal on them or another spell to decrease their stack.
Take care have their stack lower before enter in a tactic that will increase their stack.
If you make them wait in a round, be sure you have at least one other unit with lower initiative that also wait, this will give you the opportunity to decrease their stack if out of control. You could also have a unit with higher initiative to wait you you can act after the
If you make them wait in a round, it can be useful to also have a unit with higher initiative to wait so you can react in same round and after the cursed ghost attack.
With target stay close to a living long range to restore stack with the counter attack and not close to lower the stack.
Against full living army and Target often your best choice will be to center all your army and actions around the Cursed Ghost to keep target, required protection and keep stack control.

Amidamaru86
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Weird I never tried that, that's a non logical rule but totally true, with Divine Armor -100% is replaced by 30% or more depending of some stuff like Healer skill but also int and perhaps more, I pick two saves in my current game and got 39% and 44% with divine armor level 3, both with heal skill level 1.

That trick is huge and change a lot the tank point of view. Ancient Ent then are certainly the best tank or one of the best even against fire. The real weakness is the requirement to cast teleport but for a mage with Higher Magic skill that's less a burden.

For any tank Shield of Archmage is great and Peacefulness too, both against any type of attack. Also Stoneskin is useless against non physical attacks like magic.

Sorry can't aggre with that, finnished the game 3x on impossible (with all possible classes):

1) Ents, Ancient or not have low initiative
2) Movement speed is like 2-3..
3) The leadership is too big
4) Pesky fire abilities hurt them much
5) teleporting them (even for a mage) is a burden = it will cause more deaths in your army, cause you didn't use a damaging/crowd controlling spell.

Best tanks so far are Horsemen = most versatile = good initiative, good amount of hp, good speed, good damage, unlimited in shops, you can get them at lvl 1-2.

Other good tanks are:

Griffins (flying, good initiative, always retaliate, good amount of hp, magic and physical ressistance, good items to boost them)

Royal Snakes (good amount of hp, initiative, no retaliation, good attack, decent speed, Immune to poisons, Lunge ability is awsome)

Veteran Orcs (but only if you are lucky to have a shop which sells them - great speed, defence, hp, attack, initiative, bad part is that items which boost orc armies are hard to find)

When looking for a tank, don't just look for HP, look for defence/speed/initiative, abilities, overall usage = would you use black knights on a map where there are many inquisitors/monks ?, try to pick a tanking unit which will at least tank in your army in 2-3 maps, Horsemen can tank the whole game - and you can be 100% certain they will be in the capital.

Vilk
07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
1: I agree initiative is a burden but for a tank it's a less major burden. You can manage that and if you use target you don't care much of the initiative for your tank.

2: It seems you never used Ancient Ent so don't even start to suspect how strong they are. Ancient Ent moves of 1.

3: Same than above, use them before talking about them.

4: You didn't read the Divine Armor trick, it cancel fully the fire penalty and add the full resistance from Divine Armor.

5: Easy.
With mage learn Higher Magic.
With Paladin and Warrior learn tactic level 2. Put Ancient Ent as far than possible from your side. Cast Target on it, long range are already busy with it and won't hurt your other troops. Other enemy troops won't reach you in round 1 or Dragon and Archdemon won't care of your target and tank anyway. Round 2 teleport Ancient Ent at the best tank place.
I agree that slow tanks are more for the mage.

Overall, my comment about Ancient Ent is more for a mage but that need more testing with a warrior. Also I have to admit than if I use them including a little as tank, I haven't yet tried with the Divine Armor trick that change a lot the point of view.

I also agree with you that mobility is an important factor for a Tank. About using only Horsemen as tank through all game I'd say that tank is a major role and use one or even two reserve slots for more tank options is a more efficient approach.

Vilk
07-20-2009, 10:55 AM
About Ancient Ent as Tank, low mobility is a burden I agree, low initiative is a handicap I agree too. But let see it from a defense point of view with few sample math:

First quote, the life ratio: Life per 100 Leadership is 83.33. That is huge for a level 5 unit and that match or does better than most level 2 to 4 units and many level 1 units. For example Horsemen has a lower base life ratio of 72.22. Well for a warrior with Iron fist skill the picture is different but for mage and paladin that cannot be improved without a very very rare items set (Knight set). Such high Leadership cost means an average Leadership lost of 500, that's significant but the more Leadership you have the less 500 is significant. Still, Ancient Ent have an exceptional life ratio for a level 5 unit.
Second quote, the defense. For Ancient Ent this brings between 50% and 25% less damages than Horsemen. See bellow the little math for explanation.
More over Ancient Ent also have 50% resistance to poison and 10% to physical. For example in comparison Horsemen has 20% to physical and 20% to fire.

So if you consider the Divine Armor trick that fully cancel Ancient Ent penalty against fire, the 50% to 25% less damages than Horsemen, the excellent life ratio, it's clear that Ancient Ent is an exceptional defender, good for a tank, could worth the low mobility and low initiative in many battle. For a mage I'm almost sure but haven't yet test. For a Paladin more tests need to be done. For a warrior that could be a less interesting option with an investment in Iron Fist. Still damage reduction is more important than life ratio and even with warrior, Ancient Ent worth a try as tank.

About the reduced damages:
Higher units compensate lower leadership ratios with higher defense and attack. For a Tank let see the defense of Ancient Ent: 50. In comparison a Horsemen has 25. For an attacker with an attack higher than enemy defense, each added attack-defense point gives 3% more damages. But let consider the less favorable option, as the hero has many defense bonus and with a such high defense base the average ratio will be more roughly 2% in average. That means roughly 50% less damages than Horsemen. If we use a negative hypothesis with an average of 1% instead of 2%, it's still 25% less damages, that is huge. That's why Ancient Ent are so strong, exceptional life ratio and very high defense.

EDIT: As already quoted items can change many things, for example the Steam Armor inflict a huge mobility penalty but if for some reason you still want try it, Knight become non mobile as Ancient Ent but gain 30% defense ie get a defense of roughly 36 but also has 30% resistance to physical and fire. With Iron fist skill, circle attack and 30% attack bonus given by Steam Armor that can build an interesting non mobile tank option.

Shadowdrake
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
There's no cap, thats really the only problem with ghosts; you have to be careful when judging their resurrection. You have to hire less than your normal limit and keep the rest in reserve to make use of them properly.

loreangelicus
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
In my opinion, the best tank is a Phantom-ed Emerald Green Dragon for the following reasons:

1) Emerald Green Dragons in themselves are good combo units for other spells like Invisibility to take on tough battles with a single troop stack.

2) EGDs have high initiative and high speed, so no need to Teleport them to the middle of the enemy ranks, they could fly themselves in.

3) Level 3 Phantom costs 25 mana and generates close to 50% of the original EGD stack; when your Phantoms are coming out with 5+ troop counts (from an original stack of 10+) their mana blast radius ability could give you back 15+ mana, sometimes even greater than 25 mana, effectively giving you FREE Phantoms.

4) You can let Phantoms die, no need to Resurrect them or things like that, and still get a no-casualty battle.

5) They last 3 turns, and with a high life to leadership ratio plus good resistances including 50% fire resistance, they often last until the spell expires. But why stop at one Phantom when they pay for their existence mana-wise? Keep on casting Phantom-ed EGDs that deal damage and draw aggro.

Just my 2-cents.

*** update 10-10-2009***
Attached a screenshot wherein you could see the phantom-ed EGDs being swapped for the enemy's Royal Thorns; when the phantom used its mana area attack it basically damaged the surrounding enemies and regenerated +25 mana, the cost of summoning it.

Shadowdrake
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
The problem is that either you have emeralds with stoneskin and target (assuming you have Higher Magic, otherwise just target - you'll have to use Sacrifice later on to heal them) or giants/ents with teleport - but then you have to choose between target and stoneskin. :(

Comandan52
11-24-2009, 10:41 PM
A good tanker unit IMO is the Giant with Peacefullness. Else i suggest the Dwarf. Toooooo damn resistant!!