PDA

View Full Version : A Good Start!

travelingoz
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Not sure if everyone is onto this yet, but should at least help some of the newer players out there:

At the start, you need 4 things that u wont have:
More leadership, money, spells and a good selection of units.

I suggest u keep all your money, etc and have a look around first. To do this first check out the immediate area and see what you can grab especially the leadership flags. Grab a couple of units to defeat the robbers and complete the plugens quest, then go to Arlania and check what troops are available in the castle.

Now, quicksave and do NOT go over the bridge. Watch/dodge the enemy patrols and make your way straight up the path to the beach, speak to the guy there and he will give you a boat. (Don't worry if you alert whatever enemy is near that corner, just keep running, the game pauses while you are talking and you can quickly jump in the boat!).

Right now you can cruise around the coast areas of Arlania and the Vernon and pick up all the goodies. There are at least 20~30 flags that can be picked up without fighting, at least 16K of cash and lots of level ups and runes too.

Also you can go the back way from the coast of Arlania to complete the kings brother quest! I finished the kings 2nd and 3rd quests without any battles at all. If you want, you can sneak in via the coast and get the kings treasure from the castle in Vernon too for a nice XP/cash bonus!

By the time you get back to Greenwort, you should be level 2~4 (that's on hard!) with over 500 extra leadership and plenty of cash to burn. You will also know what kind of units are available at the random locations too!

player1
10-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Personally, I think it's more productive to rush in main story, so can get rage box at around 3rd level (if doing tutorial first).

sector24
10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I think this is the most useful info a new player could have. Especially if you played the demo, you just assume the boat will cost your 500 or 1000 gold. If I start another game, the first thing I'm going to do is go to the marsh and check the tavern and Furious Paladin, then to Verlon Forest to check the tavern there. You can also check the menagerie in Greenwort and then run away from the guardian. That will help you decide what your first 5 units are going to be.

travelingoz
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
@Player 1

What do you mean?

I can complete the first 3 quests and get the rage box by only having to fight the robbers in the plugens quest.

Now, because i've done a good search around the 3 maps first, i have enough runes so i have rage sprits experience ability and then start using the spirits right away on the stupid thorns in the garden etc.

This way they level up faster than my main hero!

So how does your way work?

player1
10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, pretty much that way.
Avod any fighting exempt when needed (plugens quest) and go for those 3 main quests.

Although I did had slight problem avoiding strong stack around magic academy (the one where box is), but it should be doable.

maverick6146
10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
I think this is the most useful info a new player could have. Especially if you played the demo, you just assume the boat will cost your 500 or 1000 gold. If I start another game, the first thing I'm going to do is go to the marsh and check the tavern and Furious Paladin, then to Verlon Forest to check the tavern there. You can also check the menagerie in Greenwort and then run away from the guardian. That will help you decide what your first 5 units are going to be.

I would second this. And I also would recommending checking the King's castle and have at least one high lvl equipment/artifact available for buying.

Ryder
11-06-2008, 03:29 AM
There's a quest you get in Verlon Forest to enter the Abandoned Castle, find the painting and retrieve the Kings treasure. That can be done without any fighting if you put some slick moves on. Pretty sure the experience was good too.

Ish
11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
There's a quest you get in Verlon Forest to enter the Abandoned Castle, find the painting and retrieve the Kings treasure. That can be done without any fighting if you put some slick moves on. Pretty sure the experience was good too.

lol yeah or be faced with 1500 skeletons and alot of ghosts or thousands of spiders

I seriously think there are easier quests to do. (atleast on impossible)

Smash
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Making tutorial can give you few things too exp, gold, runes etc. but before starting it better save and check fist what item you get in main castle so can make life easer like banner of true fate.

kadrzys
11-14-2008, 12:14 AM
you mean save, exit dungeons, check items and unsave?

travelingoz
11-14-2008, 03:13 AM
@ ISH

The idea is to "sneak" through the castle and grab the chest without fighting any ghosts. What could be an easier fight than the one you don't fight at all??

Ish
11-16-2008, 10:06 PM
True, I suppose I just prefer to fight everthing unless I have no other option.

travelingoz
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Well when your only level 1 still, fighting in the castle is definitely no option! :cool:

Smash
11-17-2008, 04:08 PM
you mean save, exit dungeons, check items and unsave?

Yes.
Once i had offer "Banner of true fate" and "Gladiator's Sword" in this two castles. Items are very important and sadly non-castle buildings don't give good offer if any at all.

YENKO
11-18-2008, 10:33 PM
How do you do that? At the beginning, the mentor won't let me exit the place without completing my training?

Ryder
11-19-2008, 04:27 AM
How do you do that? At the beginning, the mentor won't let me exit the place without completing my training?
Save the game before doing the training (even speaking to him), opt not to do the training and you'll be allowed out straight away to check what's available.

Well that's what I'm guessing. I havent done that in the two games I've played. Will defo try next game though.

YENKO
11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Save the game before doing the training (even speaking to him), opt not to do the training and you'll be allowed out straight away to check what's available.

Well that's what I'm guessing. I havent done that in the two games I've played. Will defo try next game though.

Ok i did like you said: started a new character, entered the dungeons and saved my game. Then i spoke with the mentor and said i didn't want to do the training, so he dismiss me and gives me the crappy sword. I exit the dungeons, enter the first castle (with King Darion and princess Amelie) and check stuff, then the other little castle a couple feet on the left (with the priests). Then i reload and...i end up always with exactly the same scrolls/items, game after game, again and again. No randomness involved.
What gives? :confused:

<EDIT>
Well, no big deal, actually. The thing that DID work was to start a new char from scratch every time, select class, name etc etc. then, upon exiting the dungeons the items/scrolls ARE randomized :)
Now i need a thread about good items and good spells.

Ok, ok, let's face it: i am a newb, and i dunno jack about the game: i have no idea which spells (and how!) to use, which monsters to get and how to use any given monster :)
Hm, probably, the best thing to do in my position is just to put the pedal on the metal and go rampaging exploring and fightig stuff around until i get the hang of the game mechanics :D Only THEN will we talk about superior tactics again :)

Ryder
12-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Here is a list of quests I have completed with only doing one fight (against the Robbers to get the plugens).

Fishing Limits
Speaking Stone
The Headless Skeleton
The Deserted Castle
The Lost Cargo of Skipper Gek
The Kings Brother
Stinky Elixer
Donations For The Temple
Lost Town Chronicles
A Secret Weapon
Carl And Martha
Dragon Tooths Tavern
Escaped Bear
Talking Bird
Peace Pact
Breeding Evil Beholders
Enchanted Love
Rescue The Frogs

I then fought the Turtle and completed

The Black Mark
Her Weight In Gold
Fallen Dirigble
A Holy Indulgence

So I was just under level 6, with over 4000 Leadership and a stack of Runes before I even started fighting. Probably could of done more but I wanted to start fighting. Not a bad start for my impossible Warrior game.

Ryder
12-19-2008, 06:56 AM
<EDIT>
The thing that DID work was to start a new char from scratch every time, select class, name etc etc. then, upon exiting the dungeons the items/scrolls ARE randomized :)
Sorry mate, thought that was a given.