PDA

View Full Version : Hi all... 1st time player here

megajon
10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I currently have a lvl 8 warrior on normal.

Army:
melee- polar bears.

ranged- priests, inquisitors, archmages, and dwarven cannoniers.

I think I am doing alright, and rarely have any losses I can't res with my inquisitors, or a phantom copy of my inquisitors... but I was just wonderin if there might be any combos I am missin out on tryin... I would really like to replace my priests... unfortunately I aint found any beholders or necromancers, and they both seem pretty cool.

edit.. also I am having trouble finding more inquisitors... I ran out of my swamp hook up on them.

fld88
10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
You'll find the game forces you into modifying your units and strategy throughout the game. Inquisitors are usually a rarity so this will one of those areas you'll need to adapt. But if you are rarely taking any losses on your first game I'm sure you'll adapt just fine.

Ryder
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
You'll find you'll change your army setup a bit. I'm currently a level 25 Warrior and started off with obviously the stuff from the Kings castle and the Priests. I then moved on to Evil Beholders, Giants, Orc Shamans, Cannoneers and the like. Now I have Green Dragons, Elves, Sprites, Dryads and Lake Fairies. Those girls know how to fight.

fld88
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
You'll find you'll change your army setup a bit. I'm currently a level 25 Warrior and started off with obviously the stuff from the Kings castle and the Priests. I then moved on to Evil Beholders, Giants, Orc Shamans, Cannoneers and the like. Now I have Green Dragons, Elves, Sprites, Dryads and Lake Fairies. Those girls know how to fight.

I find there are so many stratetic choices to make that this game is easily replayable. I'm playing mage on hard now after recently finishing mage on normal.

I sold Anga's Ring last time but this game I kept it and I'm giving the ladies a try. Yes they sure can fight. I find them succeptible to committing suicide after wolf hows though but still worth it.

Unfortuntley, even after getting access to the extra troops after doing the quests, there is a dearth of sprites and fairies (tons of Dryads) on my map so I'll be trading them in soon.

Mass Bless is a killer spell to have with the ladies and the thorns the Drads drop also.

megajon
10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh I definately am adapting..

where exactly can I buy beholders? I am also curious, can you ever get necromancers? they seem pretty bad ass!

fld88
10-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Oh I definately am adapting..

where exactly can I buy beholders? I am also curious, can you ever get necromancers? they seem pretty bad ass!

The swamp often has beholders and chances are you'll find them randomly in most areas thereafter. The Evil Beholders are much better then the plain ones though. It will likely be much later before you'll have a chance at Necromancers.

Saridu
10-22-2008, 05:35 AM
You have to complete the swamp brothers quest. I missed it my first play through, talk to the brother in the castle by the Alchemist and he'll start the ball rolling. A tough fight at low level but you should easily walk through it.

After the quest is finished, the brothers offer incrementally better troops, the middle brother has a very good chance to stock Royal Snakes (If you don't know about them, get them! No retaliation and a special strike across an empty square special) The last brother Brown Hzlen or something like that has a good chance to stock Beholders, in my last game he stocked Evil Beholders :)

I've only seen Necromancers at the Black Tower in Demonis (Right near the end of the game)

Good luck adapting and enjoy raising the Jolly Rodger, aargh

alon
10-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the tips Saridu. :)

I would add a recommendation to try out the Alchemist Dwarf Level 4 units in the Swamps. They are my strongest unit at the moment: I'm Level 7 before going to Freedom Islands on Impossible.

Not a single Inquisitor in sight.
No Resurrection Spell.
No Sacrifice Spell.

Which reminds me, does anyone know of a sure way to get any one of those three?

megajon
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
thanks, I did find beholders, and actually replaced my dwarven alchys with them, but they are about on the same power level imo..

that really stinks about the necros only being near the games end =/

current army at lvl 8,
melee -royal snakes
ranged -cannoniers, bowmen, archmage, beholders...

I miss my inquisitors, waaah.... think I will try and paladin next and shoot for the inquisition.