PDA

View Full Version : Wolves, Werewolves & Woes

bkelly17
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I am taking the time and energy to post here, because I wanted to point something out that prevented myself and a friend (both huge fans of the original game) from purchasing KB:tL.

Playing an in store demo for around 15-20 mins, I went into an area with lots of wolves and werewolves. Wolves being the speedy creatures that they are, always went first, and always used an ability that made me lose complete control of all of my troops. I then spent 8-10 minutes watching my troops defend, while the weaker ranged troops were systematically destroyed by the other army. On top of that, even when the last enemy had been killed, after massive losses, I watched my remaining troops suddenly stop defending, and aggressively destroy the one group that had been enraged (or whatever it was).

This is: 1) incredibly unfair 2) unbelievably frustrating 3) Totally illogical as a video game function (who wants to watch the cpu play itself?) and 4) the reason I can not purchase this game.

KB:tL may be an awesome game. This may be a totally isolated incident, and the rest of the game may be completely different. But I can tell you 2 potential customers that won't ever know that. To have something that infuriating 15 mins into the game is just bad design and implementation.

Kings Bounty Hunter
10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
The wolves are the last of your worries:)

Buy the game

bman654
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
To play this game you need to rclick on enemy units and read the descriptions of their abilities. You learn the limits and then you high-tail it out of that area and go get types of armies that are unaffected by those abilities. Also use spells to help out such battles. Things like Dispel or offensive magics work great here.

Namel
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Wolves ability only affects low level human troops. They really don't play big role in game at all.

Tempo
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Just download the demo and play it for few hours.
I think abilities of wolves isn't serious reason to reject buying the game.

Jinix the Elder
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Don't give up so easily. You only have to 'watch' your troops fight on auto-combat, if you direct each move yourself and plan each action logically, it's rather like a game of chess and just as challenging.

Playing King's Bounty - The Legend, becomes a lot more fun as the game progresses. The more you get into it the more you will enjoy it.

It's a different idea over the normal game where you are the character that hacks and slashes your way thru the dungeons.
Here you 'command' your troops without your own character actually on screen in the fight. That's probably why you turned off of the game so fast.

At first you may feel you don't have the control that you have in other dungeon crawls but as you progress and get in the swing of things. It soon becomes a great game that has lots of playhours.
Great graphics, terrific humor and lots of replayability. I rate it five happy faces :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Give it another whirl - you'll not be sorry.

Jinix the Elder

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
Mohandas Gandhi

Saridu
10-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah the first time I played the demo I was handed my ass by the Werewolf master :( also thought it was unfair until I carefully read the wolves nasty spell description, it only works on level one and two humanoid mobs, so you can use bears or plants with no problem, just a little change of strategy.

Most useful for a mage is even if they suck (like thorns) they still get to go, which means you get to throw a spell.

jamesjiao
11-18-2008, 12:53 AM
No offence, but you are not really cut out for this kind of games

I am taking the time and energy to post here, because I wanted to point something out that prevented myself and a friend (both huge fans of the original game) from purchasing KB:tL.

Playing an in store demo for around 15-20 mins, I went into an area with lots of wolves and werewolves. Wolves being the speedy creatures that they are, always went first, and always used an ability that made me lose complete control of all of my troops. I then spent 8-10 minutes watching my troops defend, while the weaker ranged troops were systematically destroyed by the other army. On top of that, even when the last enemy had been killed, after massive losses, I watched my remaining troops suddenly stop defending, and aggressively destroy the one group that had been enraged (or whatever it was).

This is: 1) incredibly unfair 2) unbelievably frustrating 3) Totally illogical as a video game function (who wants to watch the cpu play itself?) and 4) the reason I can not purchase this game.

KB:tL may be an awesome game. This may be a totally isolated incident, and the rest of the game may be completely different. But I can tell you 2 potential customers that won't ever know that. To have something that infuriating 15 mins into the game is just bad design and implementation.

it-ogo
11-18-2008, 07:02 AM
What is the sense in playing games if you don't like challenges and give up immediately? If you enjoy garanteed happy ends more then your efforts to achieve victory there is Hollywood production. ;)

Seriously, bkelly didn't get that the game needs some strategy planning along with one-battle tactical efforts.

Luckily in my first game I had archmages when encountered wolves and that was enough to avoid big losses.

Gatts
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
easy fix for wolven tricks is to have at least one non-brain creature (animal, plant) which can be bought at the beginning of the game (sooner than you will fight any wolves) - having one plan unit will give your hero the option to use magic (like dispel magic) and/or rage - that is why I fight wolves after I finish the rage quest.

You will find out that there are lot of creatures with ugly abilities, but for each such abiliity is there counter ability/ tactics and you will see how beutiful is the game when you find such tactics and win even the worst possible scenario battles.