PDA

View Full Version : Startup crash after installing patch -- Emulator Detected error

bsctgod
10-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Anyone else experience this or know a workaround?

I installed the 1.6.5 patch and now my game will not start. It always crashes within a few seconds popping up a window that gives the error:

Emulator Detected!

It tells me to disable the emulator software and restart the game. I'm not aware of any emulation software operating on my pc.

My graphics card(9800 Pro) doesn't quite meet the system requirements but I've been able to play it perfectly fine without the patch. Maybe this is why it crashes for me.

pc_gamer
10-19-2008, 01:37 AM
I just installed the patch too and tried to start the game. My game crashes before it even gets to the title screen. As soon as I see the the CD icon by my mouse pointer, my computer instantly freezes and I have to reboot my computer. I tried re-downloading the patch and running the patch again, but no luck. Frustrating ........... I was hoping that the patch would fix the constant freezing of the game when I WAS able to play the game before I patched it. I never had such of a difficulty getting a game to run on my computer as this game without having problems!! I have attached my system information.

pc_gamer
10-19-2008, 02:42 AM
The patch has done something to my computer to where when I tried to re-install the game from the DVD, the game will not even launch after the re-install. This is without the game patch being applied !?!?

I can't play the game period now!!! :-x

It may be a good game, but now it is no longer enjoyable because of all the technical difficulties I am having with it. I am frustrated and angry !!!! :evil:

bman654
10-19-2008, 02:54 AM
too bad it's not on steam! :o

pc_gamer
10-19-2008, 03:09 AM
yeah, but i do like having a printed game manual (for what is is worth) for these types of games (e.g., Civilization, Colonization, HOMM games, etc.)

That is why I bought it at a store; though I hate some of the game protection software

Fenris
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Same issue here. Game ran great before the patch. After patching it, it won't run at all. It says "Emulator detected!
Please deactivate virtual drive and emulation software."

Jinix the Elder
10-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Crashing after the upgrade which is supposed to fix crashes suggests to me that the type of copy protection the DVD has is confusing the upgrade with an illegal copy.

Mine crashed with the upgrade too but fortunately I was able to re-install from the DVD and am able to carry on the game.

If 1C gets more complaints I think they should pull the patch and try again.

Jinix the Elder

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
Clint Eastwood

BartowWing
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Crashing after the upgrade which is supposed to fix crashes suggests to me that the type of copy protection the DVD has is confusing the upgrade with an illegal copy.

Mine crashed with the upgrade too but fortunately I was able to re-install from the DVD and am able to carry on the game.

If 1C gets more complaints I think they should pull the patch and try again.

Jinix the Elder

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
Clint Eastwood

My problem is exactly the same as the above. I uninstalled and then reinstalled. The patch however will not work so I am playing the game from the original CD version.

With the patch I get the same emulator detected error you all do.

pc_gamer
10-21-2008, 06:01 AM
I do not get the 'emulator detected error' like some of you. As soon as the game tries to verify that my game DVD is a legal copy, the game crashes and I have to reboot. I agree with Jinix. The type of copy protection that the DVD has is confusing the upgrade with an illegal copy.

However, I did go back an uninstall the game one more time. Then I ran a few utility programs to make sure that all traces of the game from previous installs have been removed. I re-installed the game, and then copied the entire game directory to another part of my hard drive for just in case the applied patch failed again. Then I applied the patch to the new install. I ran the game. It stalled for a little bit as the patched game checked for a legal copy of the game (at least that is what it seemed to be doing). Then, to my surprise, the title screen came up and I could play the 1.6.5 patched version of the game. If it wasn't for the damn 'freezing problem' when I play the game, I would be good to go. AAARRRGGGGG .......................

ArgMyLeg
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
can we get someone in charge to tell us whats going on? Ive been getting the emulation error since I patched the retail version and its getting old fast

Moxxe
10-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Just encountered this problem. I just installed the patch, and now I'm getting the "emulator detected" bug. Now I can't play at all.

Please address this ASAP!!!!

pkt-zer0
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
You could try using the game executable from the Russian 1.6.4 patch, that doesn't have SecuROM - though if the non-DRM related changes in patch 1.6.5 also affect the exe file, you might experience some bugs that were fixed in that one. Still, the occasional bug is better than not being able to play the game at all.

Borg
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Another problem here.
Installed the game and it ran fine.
Immediately installed the patch and now I get the message
"wrong disc inserted ... " - disc is apparently not recognized

Back to uninstalling, I guess.

Tanveyor
11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Same problem here, fix the patch !

ArgMyLeg
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Id like to see this get solved at some point, I still cant play my kings bounty and Ive been too lazy to try uninstalling it. has anyone tried contacting atari about this? I cant get into their support section, somehow it doesnt recognize my IE, very weird

Fenris
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
If you uninstall and reinstall, it works fine. That's what I had to do.

Karel
11-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Hello guys,

we are investigating this issue with Atari. Hopefully we will be able to solve this soon. We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

1C Tech support

stpkg
11-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I buy the game and cannot run also because of the SECUROM problem.
It is originally in patch 1.6.5.!!

stpkg
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Via the help from SecuROM support, the game can run now but in 1.6.4.

twocandles
11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I have the spanish version of the game. I had to install the english patch version since no spanish patch is available.

I had the same problem described here, and all I did is overwrite the patched exe with the one found in the original DVD. Hope this helps.

stpkg
11-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I patched the game to 1.6.5 and the game show an error:

"Wrong disc inserted.
Please insert the CD/DVD."

Then I replaced the kb.exe with the one working for 1.6.4, the game is now running in patch 1.6.5.

bsctgod
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I patched the game to 1.6.5 and the game show an error:

"Wrong disc inserted.
Please insert the CD/DVD."

Then I replaced the kb.exe with the one working for 1.6.4, the game is now running in patch 1.6.5.

I tried this when I got the emulator error after installing the patch again. It appeared to load up fine with the old kb.exe and showed the correct patched version 1.6.5 on the menu screen. Not sure what is in the kb.exe that it doesn't like. It may mess something else up I am not aware of yet during playing.

fantaMOO
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm from Australia and I bought a genuine copy from CD WOW (shipped from Hong Kong) (and no, this is not a marketing message). Anyway, I couldn't play at all - unpatched or patched with 1.7 (Nobulis) or 1.65 (Atari). It said either:

- "Wrong CD", or
- "Emulator... Conflict", or
- "You can't even start a game, YOU SUCK!"

Ahem... I tried re-installing 5 times, and guess what? Nope, it didn't do a thing. I even kept switching kb.exe from the game cd, and guess what? Well, it didn't budge.

- SOLUTION - (for me at least)
Follow the instructions from Securom to produce an Analysis Log file from your kb.exe, and email it to them. They emailed me thrice, maybe to make sure that I'm genuine. I was desperate, so I obeyed their instructions. Finally, they sent me a kb.exe which works well so far (level 9 paladin, boooya!)

----------------------------------------
Hope this message saves tears and whales.
----------------------------------------

camelotcrusade
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
This was happening to me and I was able to sort it out. You must have the patch compatible with your game version or the emulation error will occur. Evidently there are two versions, each one calling for it's own unique patch. You would think the patch would fail to install if you have the incorrect combination but this is not the case.

If you purchased a retail box King's bounty with the Atari publisher then you want patch 1.65. Make sure the patch does NOT say "Nobilis" anywhere in the name. Otherwise you want patch 1.70, the Nobilis version.

I bought the retail game and being the none the wiser assumed that the 1.70 patch was what I needed (the latest number). That version only comes in Nobilis which I downloaded off a random hosting website. After installing that patch I received the emulator error.

Uninstall the game, reinstall it and then apply the 1.65 patch. AtT any rate, just make sure you do NOT use the Nobilis patch if you did not purchase the game via download or the Nobilis service. If you did, then use the Nobilis patch.

Hope this helps.