PDA

View Full Version : Bug on Save/load game file in localizd region name.

aaaaa
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Localizing region names in 'eng_map.lng' breaks saving and loading game file in localized name. The save/load program code seems to have some bug in recognizing files names in Asian unicode character string.

I localized region name (like 'Greenwort', 'Verlon Forest') in game data file (GAMEINSTALL)\sessions\base\LOCALIZATION\eng\eng_m ap.lng into Korean Unicode string(like '그린워트', '벨런 숲').

For example:
darion_1=그린워트
darion_2=벨런 숲

Localized region name is displayed correctly on screen and on game save file dialog, like "그린워트(2)". But actual save file name and load file name in localized string does not work. When I browsed the save file folder, the save file name should be something like "그린워트(2).sav". But it is truncated like "그린.sav". And No such name is listed in game Load file list dialog. So I can't load it.

So I cannot localize region name duo to this save/laod problem.

My suggestion: Separate name used for localized screen display and name used for save file name. Use save file name in pure Latin-1 character codeset to avoid simlar problems in localized version in non-Latin character set like Chinese or Japanese.

Another unrelated suggestion:
When there are many save files in game save folder, game save/load dialog is quite slow to show up. I think that it is because game should read all the save files in $save folder to display whole list. Don't do that. Read most recent few save files only and display them. Read rest of save files only when user scroll down the list. Use read-on-demand method for save file listing. It will greatly speed up Save/load dialog opening time. You can get number of files and modification date without read the actual file.

aaaaa
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Some players with non-Latin user account name complain similar save/load problems. User with account name in non-Latin/Asian characters can not save/load game file. The save file path name includes user account name like C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\My Games\Kings Bounty\$save. But this game can not handle non-Latin/Asian name string in file path. So they have to make new account with Latin name to play this game.

Another suggestion:
Include in-game character (avatar) name in save file path. This will separate save files among multiple characters of same player and improve game save/load time for player with multiple old characters. Don't forget to handle non-Latin avatar name properly.

ex) My Documents\My Games\Kings Bounty\$save\Bill Gilbert
OR just My Documents\My Games\Kings Bounty\Bill Gilbert.