PDA

View Full Version : Patch confusion, should I have one?

Snaggly Pete
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm in the US and have the DVD version of King's Bounty. I'm at work now, but I think my game version is 1.6b7. Is there a patch with a more recent version that I should get? I've seen a lot of different versions mentioned on this site, so it is hard for me to know. Also, when I check the official sites, I don't even see any patch downloads available. Thanks.

phoenixreborn
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I have the same version and it works fine.

I did have the mirabella crash but there is a mod fix available on these forums.

Finishing the dwarven lands now.

Snaggly Pete
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I have the same version and it works fine.

I did have the mirabella crash but there is a mod fix available on these forums.

Finishing the dwarven lands now.

Thanks, I guess I'll check back on these boards if any problems arise. I'm not as far along as you, but so far no problems..

jake21
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
There should be a patch but atari has not yet released it that will update the game to 1.6.4 or 1.6.5. There are a few annoying (or very annoying depending on your view) in this version including:
mirabella crash (there is a mod to fix this)
elven wife not having kids
random crashes (I had quite a few in the grey wasteland/elven area)
some item fixes (something about morale updates)
some format errors (text boxes that are too long for the window because text was not properly line wrapped)
other
-
I finished the game (had 99 completed quests - i wonder how many there are) and it was enjoyable but I will wait for the patch before playing again.

I'm in the US and have the DVD version of King's Bounty. I'm at work now, but I think my game version is 1.6b7. Is there a patch with a more recent version that I should get? I've seen a lot of different versions mentioned on this site, so it is hard for me to know. Also, when I check the official sites, I don't even see any patch downloads available. Thanks.

Snaggly Pete
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
There should be a patch but atari has not yet released it that will update the game to 1.6.4 or 1.6.5.

I guess my confusion comes from the fact that I don't understand the patch numbering system. To me, 1.6.4 or 1.6.5 just doesn't seem like it should be an update for 1.6b7. I would think the update would be called something like 1.6b8 or 1.7.

bman654
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
think of it this way:

1.6b7 is like "1.6.0 b7". So it is earlier than "1.6.4" or "1.6.5".

Here is the breakdown of versions as I know it (I don't have the build numbers handy sorry):

Russian version: 1.6.4 - no DRM
GamersGate US version: 1.6.5 (download is 1.6.4 but they also have a patch to make it 1.6.5) - has GamersGate DRM attached
Atari US Download: 1.6b7 - has Atari digital DRM attached
Atari US DVD: 1.6b7 - has Atari DVD DRM attached

Another thing about the 1.6b7 version is it is missing some things that the interface mod needs and so the interface mod has less features for this version.

It is unclear why Atari couldn't even release the "current" 1.6.4 version when the game was released. Pretty crappy of them if you ask me. Atari has also been given the (presumably 1.6.5) patch by 1c several weeks ago. It is unclear when or if they will release it.

It has also been reported in another thread that the Russian 1.6.4 patch works just fine with the Atari 1.6b7 version of the game. If you care to try, just find the thread and give it a shot. Worst that happens is you have to re-install the game.

Snaggly Pete
10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
think of it this way:

1.6b7 is like "1.6.0 b7". So it is earlier than "1.6.4" or "1.6.5".

Here is the breakdown of versions as I know it (I don't have the build numbers handy sorry):

Russian version: 1.6.4 - no DRM
GamersGate US version: 1.6.5 (download is 1.6.4 but they also have a patch to make it 1.6.5) - has GamersGate DRM attached
Atari US Download: 1.6b7 - has Atari digital DRM attached
Atari US DVD: 1.6b7 - has Atari DVD DRM attached

Another thing about the 1.6b7 version is it is missing some things that the interface mod needs and so the interface mod has less features for this version.

It is unclear why Atari couldn't even release the "current" 1.6.4 version when the game was released. Pretty crappy of them if you ask me. Atari has also been given the (presumably 1.6.5) patch by 1c several weeks ago. It is unclear when or if they will release it.

It has also been reported in another thread that the Russian 1.6.4 patch works just fine with the Atari 1.6b7 version of the game. If you care to try, just find the thread and give it a shot. Worst that happens is you have to re-install the game.

Thanks for the info--that clears up the confusion. I think at this point I'll wait and see if Atari releases the official 1.6.5 patch for US customers--I haven't had any problems with the game yet and I'd hate to mess things up with the Russian 1.6.4 patch. Just wondering, can I keep my save games from 1.6b7 before I use the Russian patch and then if the patch doesn't work, can I use the saves again after I reinstall 1.6b7?

phoenixreborn
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
You can copy the saves folder (mine is in the kb directory but yours might be in my documents) and it will work if you reinstall the same version you have now.

I do not know if it would work with the russian patched version but my guess is yes. Decide now before you play on because it's a long game.

Mirabella fix is here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4386

BurningCold
10-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Using the normal version you get with the DVD version here in the US, the only real problems, which i find to be very minor, are a couple crashes while playing in the elven area. I hadnt crashed before, but i think like twice so far ive had in elven land (damn elves :-P ). Everything else has either been far to minor (text issues) or capable of being fixed (mirabella crash).

kartelusm
10-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I started the game while it was still 1.6b7 and after the first continent patched it with the Russian 1.6.4 patch and I can confirm that the saves work just fine. Haven't had any problems 8-)

Snaggly Pete
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I started the game while it was still 1.6b7 and after the first continent patched it with the Russian 1.6.4 patch and I can confirm that the saves work just fine. Haven't had any problems 8-)

Yeah, I decided to go with the Russian 1.6.4 patch after all and so far no problems...except I occassionally have an urge to swig some vodka :)

Greven af Color
10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah the Ruskie 1.6.4 works fine

Kosiciel
10-11-2008, 12:08 AM
It's good, especially for Atari version. But Mirabella still crashes the game ;)

bugmenot
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Works fine with me too (applied patch at the start of the dwarf lands).

Menus / game all appears to be in english, I will post back if I find any problem.

If you've been using any mods remember to check Kings Bounty/data/mods and remove any incompatible ones.

Copy the patch to the Kings Bounty directory (may not be required, but I did it anyway), my system wouldn't show any russian characters, only question marks, but if you check the task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) you'll be able to see how much CPU the patch is using.

When the patch has finished (using 0% cpu) click the '?????' button.

The patch took well under 3 minutes on my system (probably under a minute, but I was web surfing and not paying much attention).

Should I be using the russian 1.65c patch?
________
herbalaire reviews (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

jake21
10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
So I gave in and finally tried the Russian patch. Three things I noticed:

The patch from the developer site has a different md5sum than the patch from the other site listed in this thread.

After the patch some of the green circles turned into blue circles (the ones you get during certain load screens). Not all of them just some of them - not sure what that indicates.

After the patch the Atari label at start up is gone :)

jake21
10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
So I gave in and finally tried the Russian patch. Three things I noticed:

The patch from the developer site has a different md5sum than the patch from the other site listed in this thread.

After the patch some of the green circles turned into blue circles (the ones you get during certain load screens). Not all of them just some of them - not sure what that indicates.

After the patch the Atari label at start up is gone :)
----

Bit confused. Isn't the patch to 1.6.4 suppose to fix mirabella crashing? In my case it still crashed and I had to put the mod back to fix it.... Did I do something wrong when I patched (game sez it is 1.6.4)

Zhuangzi
10-15-2008, 06:10 AM
What does the patch from 1.64 to 1.65 do? I have the GG version and reading this thread is the first I've heard of the existence of this patch. I just downloaded it from Gamersgate but I'm at work now so I can't install it.

So, what is altered in 1.65?