PDA

View Full Version : Giant Spider F'n Lame

hickmanj
10-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Up until now I have had only praise for this game - but there is a fine line between fun and immensely frustrating.

The Giant Spider fight is beyond stupid. To have endless hordes, a moving enemy and massive amounts of both damage and hit points is lame.

I hit the spider with 4 stacks of demon lords (all summoned in 2 rounds), a stack of giants, two stacks of polar and ancient bears in the hundreds, and a large stack of beholders and alchemists.

I was literally doing 5000 points of damage a round to the spider and did diddly squat.

Lame.

vicheron
10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
The giant spider is pretty stupid. It is a deceptively easy fight. It looks difficult but it's probably the easiest fight in the game. As long as you can kill the summoned spiders and had a stack of archers then you can win with ease.

hickmanj
10-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Lol - touche

LiveInABox
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
havent seen this guy yet, just got to the kraken. But does items like the jade belt (+50% damage to spiders) also count against this boss?

BigBoss
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
It will sure count against spiders he summon, so is useful in that battle.
Is not a hard battle if u know how to play and if u have anought trops.
I manage to finish the fight using archers and spels(i am a mage) for hiting the giand spider, and infantery for killing the summoned spiders.

PS: u must do this fight later, after finish all quest in dwarf land.

Psychward
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Does that item really increase the damage you do TO spiders, or does it increase the damage of spiders in your army?

Tuplis
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
havent seen this guy yet, just got to the kraken. But does items like the jade belt (+50% damage to spiders) also count against this boss?

The belt increases damage done by YOUR spiders, not damage dealt to enemy spiders.

Anyway, I killed the spider on my very first try on normal difficulty, I had 2 stacks of melee fighters (guardsmen and one other, can't remember) and 3 stacks of ranged creatures. When the boss dropped spiders on the battlefield, I just made the melee guys one-hit them and inflicted ranged damage. When she drops 3 stacks, make sure to have one of the ranged creatures help. It took ages and in the end my melee creatures struggled to kill them in one hit but I took little to no losses anyway.

ostwind
10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
my solution was to get shamans and put totems all the place that way he cant send hordes of spiders anymore.

BurningCold
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I just used a stack of dragons and something else (forget what melee unit) to take out the enemy stacks he summoned while using a stack of human archers, elven archers, and cyclops to take the big one out at the same time. Cyclops also worked as melee help due to its ability to take such a beating and melee abilities.

All in all with proper strategy it is very easy, and i wouldnt be surprised if i got out of that fight with casualties less than 10 in number, heck possibly even none.

Enarr
10-08-2008, 01:11 AM
She's really easy if you don't attempt to bumrush the Boss and use a proper strategy.

On hard diff as Paly, I won with swordsmen, guards, royal snake, inq, and shamans.

Royal snakes is really good vs her because of No Retal stat. Have snakes inq shaman(dont have shaman melee boss tho) on the boss and have the 2 footmen on adds control. Always make sure you can finish the adds (either by killing them or having them kill themselves when they attacked you). Never get overrun.
________
Harley-Davidson FXB (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FXB)

Llam4
10-08-2008, 05:25 AM
This battle was the most fun I've had so far. Got almost a whole level from it.

dengue fever
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I died as a mage on normal diff first time round because of low attack and defense and made the mistake of focusing on stacks of spiders rather than the boss. Changed my strategy with the same units and same stats to pretty much ignore reborn spiders and just focus on the boss with ice snake and dwarfen army alchemists and canoneers. This time, I won without heavy losses.

phoenixreborn
10-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I enjoyed the fight. Having the spider switch sides was a nice touch. It made the fight stand out from the humdrum of regular killings.

Xelian
10-09-2008, 06:47 AM
I got half an level from it at Hard. I used 2 melle fighters (Dwarves, Polar Bears) and 3 Archers (Cannoneers, Cyclops and Evil Eyes). The 2 melle fighters take care of the summoned spiders while the archer keep shooting on the Queen. If you are unable to kill the spiders fast enough Cyclops can help in melle also) I also used Fire arrow to attack her cause Ice Snake wastes mana too fast and 4 Arrows do more damage then 1 snake

Marlowe
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I did this on normal as a paladin with shamans, evil beholders, royal snakes, griffins, and inquisitors. As an old (though long retired) EQ1 raider, this fight was the most fun I've had in the game thus far. While the spider was fairly straightforward compared to some EQ bosses, the summoned adds and warping was enough to make me nostalgic for a good EQ raid.

Ryastar
10-13-2008, 01:48 AM
I did this with no losses as a mage on normal. I had Archmagi, cannonneers, Giants, Horsemen, and emerald green dragons. The horsemen and dragons easily took care of the venemous spiders, the archmagi and cannonneers just rang damaged the boss over and over, and my giants sat in front of the boss' mouth, and smashed it with their clubs. I used heal on the giants when necessary, as they could take 3-4 hits from the boss without dying, and used teleport to move them when the boss moved. NO LOSSES.

renton
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
as a mage on normal i pretty much took her out with flamearrow (with maxed spell lvl and 2/3 higher magic.)
I had miners, dwarves, shamans, cannoneers & beholders. These took care of all the adds whilst i whittled the boss down. Occasionally used blade of axes, salvo and a beholder ray on the boss as they refreshed.

Easier fight than *my everyone on the boss* disaster first time. :)
I found it helpful to have no troops in melee range of the boss.

Minimal losses this way, ranged on boss, melee on adds

dbgager
10-14-2008, 04:59 PM
I thought it was pretty easy.....@ tank units to take care of the summoned spider drops ( at the time I had Ancient Bears, and Swordsmen) 3 Ranged units to attack the spider..so as not to be right next to him when he attacked. (Beholders, Cyclops, and also Royal Snakes with there 2 space attack..who also I used to destroy spiders when there numbers got to high.) an occasional foray with my tank units (when the summoned spiders where all destroyed)to knock off hit points since the Spider Queen could only counterattack once. Also if you notice there is a whole free turn..for cleanup of summoned spiders..when the Spider Queen changes position...I thought it was a pretty easy battle.

bugmenot
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
First time I battled the spider I thought it was pretty easy.... till I got horribly beaten.

Round 1: Giant Spider summons 300 spiders. I kill them and hit the boss a couple of times.

Round 2: Giant Spider summons another 300 spiders. Again I kill them and hit the boss a couple of times.

A few rounds later he's summoning 800 spiders, and by round 25 he was summoning over 1,000 spiders per round.

On my second try I found it very easy.

I grouped units (mainly archers) together in the middle of the battlefield, and used shaman totems and raise dead to surround them.

When the giant spider summons a bunch of spiders they have low attack, and when can raise dead on them I've got a stack with 20+ defence.

Within a few rounds I'd got a protective ring of totems and spiders around my archers, and I beat the giant spider without a single troop dying.
________
CBR954RR (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CBR954RR)

waveform
10-15-2008, 06:00 AM
I wonder if you could level up like a maniac if you spared this fight right until the end, when your hero is at its peak condition and you have gazillion troops to thwart the thousands of spiders for 4-5 hours or so...

Jinix the Elder
10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I just had that spider fight and got wiped, fortunately I had saved before the fight and had another go with the same army - this time I ignored the drop spiders and concentrated all my troops on hitting the queen spider - I killed her fairly quickly and had lots of troops to kill the drop spiders and won in less than ten rounds.

Jinix the Elder

We have guided missiles and misguided men.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lathspell
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
When I got to him, I had considerably less troops than I should have had, and no ranged troop aside from the inquisitor. So I had my griffins and horsemen take care of the early spiders while my shaman dropped totems like mad all over the battlefield, to fill up spaces :). I just had acces to a demon portal, so I used that 4-5 times, also 3 phoenix scrolls, summoned demon's summon demon spell (heh, makes no sense) and eventually I filled up all the battlefield save from a few controlled spaces, with the demons and summons to soak up the damage. All the while, my inquisitor and my royal snakes (teleported around when the spider changed places) dealt damage to the giant spider. Source of magic to keep up my mana, Greasy mist on the spider and hell's breath on my snakes, when mana permits (the demon portals are expensive...).
Nevertheless, I did the fight with no losses, but it took virtually ages...