PDA

View Full Version : This game sure is hard!

Writhan
10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi guys, I'm new around here.. Just bought the game recently.

Having played both the 89' classic Kings bounty, and all of the games in the heroes of might and magic series. I consider myself a veteran of these games. But in general, this genre has started to bore me ... until I tried Kings Bounty - The legends!

I started out as a fighter on normal skill. I thought we had the same old "get the best type of creep, slaughter everything" rule, but boy I was wrong. I actually had to restart the game, as I ran out of troops relatively quick. Died a couple of times, due to the autocombat feature (Not recommended to use, and won't anymore).

I restarted as mage, and always fight my battles myself. Very challenging. I must say though, I have alot of trouble finding out where to go. I find the questing system alittle chaotic, and abit hard to actually know where to go. Adding locations to the quest description will help alot. Like "You have completed the task the paladin asked you to. You should return to his tower in the marsh lands". I know you can add waypoints, but it shouldn't be that cryptic, hehe.

Now I cleared the entire marshlands, and most parts of the southern and eastern forests. I'm level 7 I think, and I am currently abit stuck. I have lots of quest, but most of them I am unable to completely simply due to the lack of information I get from them.

So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission from the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?

Thank you.

Gatts
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi guys, I'm new around here.. Just bought the game recently.

Having played both the 89' classic Kings bounty, and all of the games in the heroes of might and magic series. I consider myself a veteran of these games. But in general, this genre has started to bore me ... until I tried Kings Bounty - The legends!

I started out as a fighter on normal skill. I thought we had the same old "get the best type of creep, slaughter everything" rule, but boy I was wrong. I actually had to restart the game, as I ran out of troops relatively quick. Died a couple of times, due to the autocombat feature (Not recommended to use, and won't anymore).

I restarted as mage, and always fight my battles myself. Very challenging. I must say though, I have alot of trouble finding out where to go. I find the questing system alittle chaotic, and abit hard to actually know where to go. Adding locations to the quest description will help alot. Like "You have completed the task the paladin asked you to, you should return to his tower in the marsh lands". I know you can add waypoints, but it shouldn't be that cryptic, hehe.

Now I cleared the entire marshlands, and most parts of the southern and eastern forests. I'm level 7 I think, and I am currently abit stuck. I have lots of quest, but most of them I am unable to completely simply due to the lack of information I get from them.

So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission form the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?

Thank you.

I know exactly what you are talking about, but don't worry!
You made smart move to go on EASY for first time, don't feel ashamed - this is OK. (much more important when you are veteran in HOMM series, as I realized that my mind is too much bound to existing battle engines (for instance when I want to find in my spell book VAMPIRISM from HOMM 5, or when I want to check if my hero has full health from Homm 4, or if my WOG options are correctly set to First Aid Tent II) so you need to adopt the KB TL battle system)
Now the good news - exactly as you mentioned this game is not only graphically nicer copy of the old original, the expertise of the authors who surely played all HOMM series and original KB as well is felt on each inch of the game. I was so excited about such detailed progression in this so many times updated game system, it was like I first time installed WOG or Equilibris - thinking "God, this was really missing in the original game!"

Also what is great plus and hard core HOMM series player is not used to - that during the game you have to actively (sometimes unwillingly) combine/change your armies. And this is GREAT! My first experience from finishing KB TL was equal to 50 single or 25 multi player maps of HOMM 5 3.1 (which is still my second game in likliness)

Long story short:
- yes it is great, and it won't dissapoint you
- Starting on EASY will not take anything from your game experience, it will actually give you the great option to try THREE harder levels. (and Mage is better suitable for early the game or easier, as there is like a CAP for the DMG he can deal with magic, also many creatures later on are imune to most or all of the magic, so Paladin is more handy with his strong ressurection, and on impossible I was scoring best with warrior and huge army of undead :) )

megakill
10-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Try doing some quests without fighting, try to avoid some mobs - there is a lot you can do just running around.

Amamake
10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
This (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=3957) thread may be helpful.

You can place your own notes on the region map screen. If you are unsure about some particular quest, just ask in this thread.

So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission from the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?

Talk to the dwarf near the starting castle.

Fargol
10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Try doing some quests without fighting, try to avoid some mobs - there is a lot you can do just running around.

Agreed.

Some maps you'll be running around doing quests and handling most mobs just fine, but every once in a while the game will throw a wandering mob in there that's way stronger than you. Avoiding it is often a mini-game in itself.

This game truly is great. Other than a few quibbles, like the Quest log which is awful and the map which could use some love, I haven't been this addicted to a game since Sacred. Before that, you have to go back to the Diablo's.

Gatts
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
This game truly is great. Other than a few quibbles, like the Quest log which is awful and the map which could use some love, I haven't been this addicted to a game since Sacred. Before that, you have to go back to the Diablo's.

Amen, bro. I will just replace Diablo/Sacred with Civ 1, Homm 2...Albion ( I know I know, quite oldies :eek: )
Questo log is fine IMO.
Maps are great, when i had a glitch with'em, I realized that I just intuitivly took out my good o' paper notebook and pencil, and started to make my own maps in location where the automap is not workin... like gremlins castle or some undergrounds. And then .. "WOW, it is like a centurey when I lately used manual map making!... GREAT!" (actually few months ago I played Ambermoon and Amberstar so I crafted some maps as well, but doing this good old school stuff in game from 2008 is just amazingly flavishing.)
If the expansion/add-on will be out this year, than I am sure that GAME OF YEAR 08 in my rating will be KB, not Homm 5 [3.1]... (sorry HOMM).

HozzMidnight
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
It is a tough game.

I think there is too much randomness. You can really get screwed by spell/troop, and to a much lesser extent, item availability.

Gatts
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
It is a tough game.

I think there is too much randomness. You can really get screwed by spell/troop, and to a much lesser extent, item availability.

yep - this time I started as warrior and had quite solid plans to build up strenght with ATT/DEF artefacts - well, all the artefacts whrere + mana or + INT... + Morale to priests (what was the best of them all)
But this is what I like about the game so much... really.

fell
10-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Randomness to some extent is a good feature. But when it can be game breaking/easy mode you know the balance is off. Some spells/troop selection randomness is off.

Viro
10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
What i did to make the fights easier in the early darion maps was to get lvl 7, kill the big turtle and then travel straight to freedom islands.
Once there, buy a boat and cruise around some of the island and pickup tons of runes and leadership banners without fighting.
When youre done just travel back to darion and you should have a much easier time because you have alot more troops.
i found it too easy around lvl 10 on medium and started a game on hard..... just travel back and forth the 4 darion maps and pick fights carefully and you should be fine.... it's not as hard as it looks.

GreyBeard
10-04-2008, 02:50 AM
I agree the game can be hard there are 2 things to make it much easier-

Get the 2 Rage Spirits ASAP its very easy to get the Swamp Spirit going, just buy some yummy spiders or poisonous snakes to feed him. The other a not too hard fight with some Mages.

Once you have those two Spirits the game becomes much easier along with Scouting.

Max out Scouting asap this skill can really help you pick and choose your battles. Here on it will be the first skill I get. It is a huge help remember, know thy enemy.

GB

Stever717
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I have found that the quest log information is not the best. I try not to pick up too many quests at once so I don't forget where I got them from. Also don't click on a quest without reading it first and use the notes option.

Zhuangzi
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, I've just finished my second game on Hard and I actually think the game is too easy, not too hard. :confused: Especially in the later stages as a Mage. Anyway, there is always an easy fight, but you might have to search around for it. I wonder whether Warrior is in fact harder than Mage? Because I found Mage to be MUCH easier than Paladin in the long run.

Writhan
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Ya, I agree. Mage was very easy once you get some solid int + chaos magic ranks and a few neat spells (Rain of fire is awesome).

As a paladin, I have a rough time atm. Although I have been very unlucky with troops, I have yet to see anything but pirates in freedom island. All I have are fragile units :(

Zhuangzi
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Writhan, at the end of the game I was using Rain of Fire twice a turn for the first three turns in every fight, for about 3000-4000 damage per hit. You can theoretically hit seven enemies, but normal was two or three. I just owned everything with this and the occasional Armageddon (like when fighting the big orc at the end).

Writhan
10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Ya. Exactly. I only had 2/3 higher magic or whatever though, didn't get to invest into the last point as I completed the game at level 24 or so.

As a paladin, you're only "damage" is your troops, and they are slightly weaker then the warriors troops. Sure, you can heal them, and rezz some of them.. but you still need good troops to begin with. I have been very unlucky as I said, I have yet to find a troop with decent hit points and damage. All my ranged units are a mess. I'm using goblin archers, archers, evil eyes (At least good) and half a stack of archmages (Sold out). And using goblin shamans to tank.

kennec
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Writhan, at the end of the game I was using Rain of Fire twice a turn for the first three turns in every fight, for about 3000-4000 damage per hit. You can theoretically hit seven enemies, but normal was two or three. I just owned everything with this and the occasional Armageddon (like when fighting the big orc at the end).

try game as warrior on impossible now :)

wolfing
10-15-2008, 07:08 PM
The start of the game can be really easy or really hard depending on what order you do things.
My 2 suggestions:
- Concentrate on the main quest until you get the spirit box and get the first 2 spirits up and running.
- Leave the swamps for last! The other two regions in the first continent are so much easier.

Zhuangzi
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
try game as warrior on impossible now :)

Is there any point being a Warrior really? I take it you are saying this would be the hardest way to play the game? :-P

If I play on Impossible it will have to be as a Mage. Do you Russian guys agree? The whole business of improved ragebox and higher leadership does nothing for me. Having played through on Hard with a Paladin and Mage, it seems to me that Mage is easily better in the long run.

reed
10-16-2008, 04:10 AM
yeah, 40,50,60 rage is'nt a big differences

suppose you choose leadership every 3 level, at level 28 that would make 2900 leadership differences, most likely less if you prefer other option like atk / int

sf71us
10-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah Try impossible. I'm playing mage on impossible right now. leadership is a big problem for me. I'm lvl 7 and just reached the freedom isle. After spent all my money buying equipment to boost my leadership and int,the leadership is only around 2400.My int is 18 right now though, but it doesn't seem quite useful at current stage. And almost all the monsters here are very strong and overpowering to me. Every battle is a real pain...and need more money....

Zhuangzi
10-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah Try impossible. I'm playing mage on impossible right now. leadership is a big problem for me. I'm lvl 7 and just reached the freedom isle. After spent all my money buying equipment to boost my leadership and int,the leadership is only around 2400.My int is 18 right now though, but it doesn't seem quite useful at current stage. And almost all the monsters here are very strong and overpowering to me. Every battle is a real pain...and need more money....

Have a look at the 'Surviving on Impossible' thread in the Tips & Hints forum. That certainly is a bit low for leadership, but all you really need is Chaos 3, then you can start hitting the enemy with Ice Snake/Fireball. Also, you should be level 9 minimum before Freedom Isles. You should clear out Darion (i.e. crypt area) before Freedom Isles. :)